Twenty Trillion Gallons

Twenty Trillion Gallons

Postby SciFiFisher » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:33 pm

Twenty Trillion Gallons is the estimated amount of water that Hurricane Harvey and associated weather patterns have dumped on Texas and other states. The death toll is hovering around 40 people. The total cost could easily exceed $200 billion dollars. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 200,000 homes destroyed. The numbers are staggering. http://abcnews.go.com/US/hurricane-harv ... d=49529063

I will say that Texas seems to have responded very well to this disaster. Many stories of people helping people. Almost makes me proud to be a human being. Of course, the DHS announcement as Harvey was hitting that they would not suspend checking immigration status at check points in the affected areas makes me wonder how many people stayed and subsequently suffered harm because they didn't want to get picked up by INS. Kudos to Houston and other cities who unequivocally refused to check papers at shelters.

I am still trying to wrap my brain around how much water twenty trillion gallons is. :confused:
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Re: Twenty Trillion Gallons

Postby vendic » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:02 pm

Yep. Crazy shit.
Irma is now a threat to the islands too. Cat 4 is predicted.
We are currently checking every day as it may also head our way. Too early to tell.
We're hoping it will turn North but its not looking like it will before it hits PR.
We are fueled up but I have to clean the hull so we can get more speed and range. Have to leave early too since they shut down bridge openings if it is predicted to hit land.
Its a little stressful for us at the moment.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby grapes » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:10 pm

SciFiFisher wrote:I am still trying to wrap my brain around how much water twenty trillion gallons is. :confused:

Eight gallons per cubic foot? So, 2.5 trillion cubic feet

Enough water to cover the entire state of Texas four inches deep. That can't be right??
grapes
Resident News Hound

Postby Thumper » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:37 pm

I found 7.48 gallons/cubic foot.
Plus:
A gallon of water weighs about 8.35 pounds.

That's alot of weight.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:06 am

grapes wrote:
SciFiFisher wrote:I am still trying to wrap my brain around how much water twenty trillion gallons is. :confused:

Eight gallons per cubic foot? So, 2.5 trillion cubic feet

Enough water to cover the entire state of Texas four inches deep. That can't be right??

There were places that flooding was 17 feet or more. :o

Hurricane Harvey dumped over 50 inches of rain over a very wide area. It came, it swirled around for days and days. It moved very slowly. In a way that was good. Less things blown away. But, because it lingered it just kept dumping water on EVERYTHING in it's path.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Return to Hanging Around