A new meaning to "...a note from my doctor..."

A new meaning to "...a note from my doctor..."

Postby cid » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:44 am

Dear Algebra -- stop asking us to find your x. She's not coming back - ever. Get over it.
cid
Database Ninja Level 1

Re: A new meaning to "...a note from my doctor..."

Postby OldCM » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:22 am

When I was working at Clover Enterprises in California (many moons ago), a co-worker was putting stuff away under a shelf about shoulder height when he slightly bumped his head on the shelf. He insisted it caused a really bad head-ache and needed to go to the company's doctor for work injuries, which doctor said he had a concussion and needed to take several days off from work. That was total BS, IMHO. After that the company changed doctors.
OldCM

Postby Hap » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:36 am

And up here in Washington L&I has a list of doctors to go to, and you are more likely to have your workman's comp claim denied, regardless of the validity. Then you have to go through a long involved appeals process, which is still a crapshoot.
Hap

Postby FZR1KG » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:32 am

Actually, I don't see the problem with the OP.

If I have to go on a trip because of work then I want to be covered if something happens to me by workers comp.

If they want me to go on a trip for a week but only cover me for time that I am "on the job", quite frankly, they can go fuck themselves.
I'm away from home for 24 hours, working for 8 and not covered for 16.
Fuck them for thinking they can send a person to do them a favour and cover them for 1/3 of their time away.

Anyone who thinks otherwise has had corporate brainwashing far too long.
I also speak from experience being asked to fly three times a week for months, getting up at 4am to catch the early flight and getting home at near 1am because they schedule the latest flight they can in case I need to work OT. Since I didn't actually work OT I was paid my standard wage AND expected to come in the next morning like I didn't just spend 30 hours on their watch and get paid for 8.

Nope, if you want to send your employees on a trip then cover them for the WHOLE fucking trip. They wouldn't be there for anything to happen if they weren't sent.

Now if they were up to something illegal, different story.
Having sex however is not an illegal activity last I checked.
Though it may be if the US keeps headed the way it is.

Go Oz!
Cover your workers when they are on a business trip. They ARE entitled to it and damned well should be!
FZR1KG

Postby SciFi Chick » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:05 am

Like.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby SciFiFisher » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:45 pm

SciFi Chick wrote:Like.

"Please excuse frisky from work. They were injured while shagging." :cheer:

Usually, it's something along the lines of... "Clumsy slipped on the sidewalk in front of work...he will need two weeks off" :cry:

Of course, the article did highlight the real issue. The employer would probably have objected to covering the injury if the light fixture had fallen on the employee while they were just sleeping in bed. The only way I could see that this would not have been covered, due to the more liberal Australian rules, is if they were being so energetic they caused the light to fall. :rockon:
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby cid » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:27 pm

FZR1KG wrote:Go Oz! Cover your workers when they are on a business trip. They ARE entitled to it and damned well should be!

Reimbursement for condoms???
Dear Algebra -- stop asking us to find your x. She's not coming back - ever. Get over it.
cid
Database Ninja Level 1

Postby pumpkinpi » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:39 pm

cid wrote:
FZR1KG wrote:Go Oz! Cover your workers when they are on a business trip. They ARE entitled to it and damned well should be!

Reimbursement for condoms???

At my prior place of employment, one year our benefits provider introduced the medical flexible spending account. For anyone not familiar with the concept, you designate a certain amount of your paycheck to be taken out pre-tax and held in this FSA, and you get it back when you submit receipts for things like copays on doctor visits and prescriptions. But certain over the counter things were allowable--beyond just medications. In this part of the presentation our benefits representative was helping us understand what would be covered.

One of our lesbian employees (with her partner sitting next to her) said, "What if I wanted to buy, say, condoms. Would that be reimbursed?"

My coworkers around the audience erupted in laughter. The benefits rep had no idea what was going on. :lol:
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Return to Hanging Around