The Weather Thread

Re: The Weather Thread

Postby Thumper » Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:40 pm

Winter is trying to come. Temps dropping into the 20's overnight this week. But long term looks like 50's for the highs next week. 0 chance of a white Christmas around here this week. Just mud.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby pumpkinpi » Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:31 am

Thumper wrote:Winter is trying to come. Temps dropping into the 20's overnight this week. But long term looks like 50's for the highs next week. 0 chance of a white Christmas around here this week. Just mud.

40s and brown in MN. I'm not going to complain about not having a white Christmas. Today it was 18, windchill 3. I'll appreciate not having that cold for a while.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby Thumper » Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:09 pm

After a few days near 50, the temps plummeted over the weekend. Never quite made it down to 0 but it hasn't been above 20 since. Very windy a few days so the chill has been significant. No precip though. Supposed to dip back down and possibly snow this weekend, then back to 40's and rain next week. :?
Nothing we haven't seen before (almost every winter) but that doesn't stop the people around here from bitching and talking like it's the end of days, and why the hell do we live in Ohio crap. :roll:
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:23 pm

Hah. It's funny because the folks in Bend are all "Yay! Snow!" Except me.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:46 pm

Well, snow brings skiers and money in, right? ;)
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby pumpkinpi » Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:38 pm

pumpkinpi wrote:
Thumper wrote:Winter is trying to come. Temps dropping into the 20's overnight this week. But long term looks like 50's for the highs next week. 0 chance of a white Christmas around here this week. Just mud.

40s and brown in MN. I'm not going to complain about not having a white Christmas. Today it was 18, windchill 3. I'll appreciate not having that cold for a while.

We had a stretch of about 10 days when the temperature didn't get above the single digits. Totally normal for this time of year, so no complaints.
The next 10 days are forecast to be high in the 30s and 40s, maybe even 50. Not totally normal for this time of year. But I' not complaining too much. It's nice not to have to force Buster to wear his coat because it's dangerously cold outside.

Completely unheard of this time of year: We had about 3" of snow around Halloween. That melted quickly. Since then we've only had a few dusting that weren't even enough to completely cover the grass. It's stuck around because of the frigid weather, but it will be totally melting off soon.

For comparison we had over 90" of snow last winter!
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby Rommie » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:01 pm

Stuff like this always weirds me out- beautiful blue sky this morning, temps in the 40s, and meanwhile tomorrow we probably have the biggest snowstorm of the year. 8-12" predicted at our house, with a rate of 2"/hour at some points in the afternoon!

It really makes you appreciate modern weather forecasting- just gonna stay home tomorrow, NBD. But wow, in the pioneer times and what have you the accounts really are no joke about how the weather can be perfect and turn to deadly in a short period before you know it.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:35 pm

Yep.
We had stupid unseasonably warm weather last week. Now kind of normal. About freezing outside this morning but a beautiful sunny day. I'd rather have a good six inches or more on the ground, but I appreciate it not being 40, grey, and rainy.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:04 pm

Well folks, I jinxed it. Turns out the storm tracked further south at the last minute, so suddenly Monday night we were only looking at a few inches of snow. Then woke up to rain Tuesday, we barely got a dusting, and it was over by 2pm. So, the entire city shut down for nothing!

I try to be generous to weathermen but wow, this was a particularly embarrassing one.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Previous

Return to Hanging Around