Coronavirus

Re: Coronavirus

Postby pumpkinpi » Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:09 pm

SciFiFisher wrote:Sadly, it appears that we are going to be seeing this pattern for a while. COVID seems to be like the flu in that it mutates rapidly and repeat infections can happen fairly readily. Sleep overs are the ideal way to spread it. Prolonged exposure in close quarters are going to increase the chances of infection. And the home test has a fair rate of false negatives. Ideally, you have to get a lab test or treat any cold or flu symptoms as if it is COVID. Of course, there is still the challenge of COVID being infectious before and after symptoms show up. Sigh.

Day two after exposure notification and so far so good, maybe. In all honesty, I totally forgot to ask Rooster how she was feeling this morning. (Fatigue from a new med is making me take like an hour before I can function at all after waking up.) But I'm pretty sure she would have told us--she's always been good about speaking up when something doesn't feel right.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby pumpkinpi » Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:44 am

Rooster feels fine but Buster, MrPi and I woke up feeling a tad cruddy. We all tested. The other three were clear. The kids and I all agree I had a super duper faint line. I took a different test and it was clear. I still feel a big ick but it hasn't gotten worse today.

Later this morning we found out that the boy my son was playing with inside his house last night tested positive this morning! Ugh. Unless Buster is one of the super immune, he's definitely brought it into this house. We just all have to be clear by Feb 10 because we're going to visit my family in MD. To be honest, if I'm going to get it I want to get it sooner rather than later so I might skip quarantine precautions this time. :shrug: This damn disease.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Postby lady_*nix » Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:15 am

Noooo :(

Might be you're the only who got it because immunosuppressants, sadly. Those do make the vaccines less effective.
lady_*nix

Postby SciFiFisher » Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:51 pm

Occasionally I engage in the depressing act of looking at the numbers for coronavirus. The number of infections and deaths has been trending up. And for the most part people just ignore it. https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/ :(
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby lady_*nix » Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:16 pm

@Fisher

Yup, welcome to the life of the high-risk. It sure gives one pause to realize that so many people would risk your life, as well as theirs, to eat indoors at Five Guys.
lady_*nix

Postby SciFiFisher » Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:19 am

lady_*nix wrote:@Fisher

Yup, welcome to the life of the high-risk. It sure gives one pause to realize that so many people would risk your life, as well as theirs, to eat indoors at Five Guys.

Well, they do make a good burger. But I still get mine to go. ;)
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby pumpkinpi » Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:02 am

Ugh. Buster tested positive. So many feelings......first of all, I feel so bad for him and so helpless. Second, I feel guilty letting him go to his friend's. Third, I have to assume I have it while also doing all I can not to get it while also taking care of him. (MrPi is great at sharing the workload at home, but he just doesn't do taking care of sick people well.) While also trying to keep Rooster from getting it, and wondering if that's even possible.

What sucks is I have a really big work event and I am supposed to work Friday night, Saturday, and Sunday. Fortunately I'm not leading it, but I'm putting the people who are in a bad place if I can't make it. So I'm conflicted about whether I try to completely isolate from Buster so I don't get sick, or focus on him and feel like I'm letting my coworkers down. I realize the latter is NOT the way to go. I've got to get over that guilt. They have got my back. I have to focus on family.

Just like last time, I feel like I failed. We know exactly what to do, and what not to do, to not get sick. :cry:
pumpkinpi

Postby lady_*nix » Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:11 pm

@pumkpinpi, it's not your fault. Current variants are more contagious than measles, avoiding them is hard even with the vaccine and isolation and everything.
lady_*nix

Postby pumpkinpi » Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:54 pm

So far, so no-so-bad in the Pi household. Nobody else is positive or having symptoms yet. Buster is definitely sicker than I've seen him in a long time, but that's compared to colds that knock him out for about a half day. It's understandable this would be worse. He ate pretty normally yesterday and was on his computer for a while midday, but he's still sleeping a lot. I feel grateful he's had the bivalent shot--this pretty much the seems vaccine doing its job instead of covid wreaking havoc on his system. Neither Rooster nor I had any long-term symptoms beyond the ~3 days we felt bad so I really hope that's the same for Buster.

I hate how this turns our whole household upside down, though. MrPi is acting as the primary caregiver to reduce the risk of us both getting sick, and it's so hard to stay away from them. I want to be able to check in on Buster! It's different than last time---I had my sick Rooster beside me in bed so I always knew how she was doing.

The school said we can keep sending Rooster to school, recommending a good mask, so we're doing so. MrPi and I are both staying home. I think I have to stay home from the event this weekend--I can't in good conscience be around my coworkers and hundreds of visitors when I've been in a house with a sick kid for 4 days!

I would LOVE it if nobody else gets sick, so in a week from now I can post on facebook that "masking and isolation WORKS BITCHES!!!" We'll see though. It took Buster 4 days to get any symptoms after his exposure so I don't think anyone in our house would come down with it before tomorrow. MrPi was in closest contact with him the day before his symptoms, so he'd be the most likely to get it. And still have to consider every day a new exposure until everyone who gets it is clear.

It's kid of ironic....I've been talking about this "big event." It's our 5th annual weekend-long Space Fest, so obviously I have a lot to do with it. But this is only our 3rd one in person. And the first one was right after I broke my leg, so I had to miss most of that one too.
pumpkinpi

Postby Rommie » Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:06 pm

Awww, I'm sorry to hear that pumpkinpi! I would be disappointed if I missed something called SpaceFest too. And I hope Buster gets better quickly, kids definitely rebound faster it seems so hope he follows that model.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby lady_*nix » Mon May 01, 2023 10:55 pm

As if there aren't enough reasons to do everything you can to avoid COVID infection:

https://www.mdpi.com/1422-0067/24/9/7803

It may increase the risk of cancer after recovery.
lady_*nix

Postby pumpkinpi » Wed May 10, 2023 1:26 pm

Ugh. The virus has hit our house again.

Friday Rooster was at a friend's house, and Monday we learned that the friend got sick over the weekend and tested positive Monday. I thought oh great.....that's exactly how it happened the last two times, our kids brought it home from a playdate.

In the meantime MrPi wakes up feeling crummy Monday. He chalks it up to having slept with the windows open for the first time (allergy season!) and being exhausted after coming back from Buster's soccer tourney in Wisconsin.

Then Tuesday morning, MrPi tests positive. Fortunately he seems to have it pretty mild, even compared to the rest of us. He's comparing it to a cold, as you hear often.

As of Wednesday morning, the rest of us are still feeling fine. We are really not sure how MrPi got it. He and Buster were with people for the soccer games Friday-Sunday, but that was almost all outside. Even meals. And the two of them had the same exposures. So he probably got it Wed-Th away from us, but he can't point to any time he was inside with people for any length of time.

What's so ironic is that he traveled to Chicago, Milwaukee, New York, London, Rockford, and Madison between April 12 and May 7. He wore masks while on planes, and inside as much as he could, but he had meals and business meetings unmasked plenty of times. But his exposure wasn't tied to any of those trips!

So it's coming at us from two angles right now. I hate this stupid virus. I am so grateful that now that we've all had it, we know that it's likely not very serious for us. But it totally upends our life. Finding tests (yay, we got two more batches of free tests before the funding runs out!) counting days from exposure, deciding if it's safe to go to school/work/activities even if we are feeling fine and testing negative. According to the CDC, yes. But they also report that you are most infectious 1 day before you get symptoms! Buster had a soccer game and Rooster had a band concert last night, but we all tested negative so we went (masked, of course.) Still, I'm going to be paranoid that it was the wrong decision.

It's also a hard decision about whether or not I should go in to work. For the safety of my coworkers I should stay home, but that means I'm around MrPi more. (we're isolating on different levels of the house, wearing masks, and have windows open.) Fortunately it's not critical for me to be onsite, so I decided to stay home. But then I send the kids to school....is that hypocritical?

What's ironic is that for the past few weeks, we are usually the only people masked anymore. Even at my work. I feel like we've been so much more careful. But even I let my guard down---I had a conference a couple weeks ago, and I was inside over a Friday night/Saturday morning-afternoon, and I went unmasked the whole time. It was with about 20 planetarium professionals, and I would have been the only one in a mask. That's not why I did it--I had chosen to already.

So now we're on covid watch. Buster rode in the car 4+hours with MrPi Sunday, but he just had it in February so maybe he's immune? I definitely had close contact with MrPi after he became symptomatic, but not at ton. I sleep on the couch because he snores, so that removes a whole lot of exposure! Still, Buster would probably test positive in the next day or two, and those of us without symptoms are not isolating. I'm almost of the mind of having us all get it now, and get it over with. It's not a bad time for us, there is nothing in the next week that we can't miss.
pumpkinpi

Postby Rommie » Wed May 10, 2023 6:32 pm

Ugh, that sucks, I'm sorry you're dealing with this pumpkinpi (again!). Quite a thing for the official "end of the emergency" week, eh? (sarcasm, obv)

Yeah, my recollection from getting Covid last year was it never got bad health-wise, but it's just a huge hassle when you get it on a logistical standpoint. Because in the past few months when I've gotten a cold I'll just mask up like Asians do to be polite and go about my day, but for Covid you can't really do that. (I got a cold during one of my shortlist visits and kept testing negative, so I did the interview, but have no idea what we would have done had I been positive.)

Best advice I can offer is try to not over-stress about your decisions for what works for your family, you are doing your best and clearly thinking about this more than most others. Hope no one else gets sick!
Rommie

Postby geonuc » Thu May 11, 2023 1:47 pm

Sorry your dealing with this (again), pp.

I suffered from what I think was RSV a few weeks ago. I say I think because there's no way to know for sure absent getting tested and I didn't feel bad enough to see my doctor. Slight fever (up a degree or a degree and a half) and slightly lower O2 (94ish). There's also the possibility it was allergies but that would be unusual for me this time of year. I'm more of a Nov-Dec allergy sufferer. Three at-home covid tests were negative. A lot of coughing, to the point I was injuring myself.

My wife and I got our second covid bivalent booster. Total of six vaccinations so far.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Rommie » Thu May 11, 2023 4:21 pm

Yeah, we're pretty sure F got RSV this fall from riding the T: he was really down and out for a few days but we both kept testing negative. I had maybe the slightest runny nose at some point, which I think is consistent with RSV as an adult often if you had it when younger.

My last booster was in October, and it would not be great to get right now in my condition (as they say), but numbers are so low right now in the wastewater system in Boston the doc said since I'm otherwise healthy I may as well wait to August/September, just like how that's when she recommends her patients get the flu shot. So I guess around here if you're not immunocompromised it's just become a seasonal thing.
Rommie

Postby SciFiFisher » Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:19 pm

Maybe I am an old nurse. Or maybe I am stunned at how blasé we have become. The U.S. Government and most of the world have declared there is no longer a “state of emergency” for COVID. They have stopped tracking daily death tolls. And yet... We still have 800 deaths per week in the U.S. Yes, the trend is down. But, it amazes me that we barely see any news about COVID and there are still that many deaths per week.

For context we had 58,220 deaths during the Vietnam war which lasted about 20 years for the U.S. Since 2020 COVID has claimed 1,127,152 lives. At 800 deaths per week for next seven months we can expect around 22,000 more deaths by the end of the year. And yet the health emergency is over. :shock:

I guess they really weren’t kidding when they said it was OK for grannie to die to keep the economy going.
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby lady_*nix » Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:32 pm

@Fisher

The cynic in me suspects that this acclimation to death will suit the US govt (and others) just fine as global warming gets worse.
lady_*nix

Postby pumpkinpi » Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:16 pm

Just curious.....what's the masking status around you all? And yourselves?

Our family is pretty much the only people you'll see masking in our work, school, and public/social situations. (Except MrPi, he's immune for a few more weeks.) I do have to admit that if MrPi hadn't gotten it recently we might have stopped masking by now too. Decisions seem to be made by how one views the potential risk around them. Secondarily seems to be what would happen if you do actually get sick, but that's what I'm putting first. We just have too many fun things going on to risk having to miss them. I have my dance recital this weekend, and my dad is coming to see it. (He missed last year's because he got covid.) And then a week after that I'm going to a planetarium conference. But I'm going to be N95-ing it up there, because right when I get home Rooster and I go to see Taylor Swift! And then my birthday after that, and kids have summer camp, and a trip to Detroit and New York......maybe we're going overboard here, but honestly I'd rather be cautious. It doesn't harm anybody if we mask. The kids take their masks without me having to remind them, sometimes they even ask if I have mine. For as long as *they* want to keep wearing them, I will. I know Buster just hates getting sick, even colds knock him out for a day. So he might end up a forever masker, and I'll do so too in solidarity!
pumpkinpi

Postby Rommie » Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:09 pm

As you might recall from seeing you guys in April, I'm not really masking any more. I'm just not someone who gets sick often, and the Boston area wastewater data is just about the lowest it's been since this all began, so my risk assessment on this specifically makes me not feel like it's needed in most of my daily situations. Note, I'll probably wear a mask on the plane while going to/from babymoon in Bermuda next month (because planes are such closed environments, pregnancy def makes you catch stuff more easily in general, and who wants to be sick on probably my last kid-free vacation for awhile?), and of course I still wear them around friends who mask. Oh, and the doctors/ hospital still requires them, so still wearing them at the ultrasound appointments and such! (I looked into it though and for L&D neither I or my "support person" has to wear them, but we'll be tested and if positive we have to, so they recommend you isolate at the end of your due date.)

Otherwise, it's certainly gotten more uncommon to see them, but in the Boston area I'll def see someone in a mask at some point if out and about during the day. At work I'd say it's like 5-10%, very dominated by the older people.
Rommie

Postby geonuc » Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:51 pm

Very few masks in Central Oregon. I was at the local hospital area for a few hours (waiting on a neighbor to be discharged from the ER) and to kill time walked around inside the hospital. More masking in there but still a minority of staff had them on. About the only place I see more than a couple are Costco and Trader Joe's. I personally do not wear a mask anymore unless I'm driving the neighbor to and from medical appts (she has cancer). I got my sixth COVID shot a few weeks ago. I'm also a bit of a sociophobe so I don't tend to be around people very much.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby lady_*nix » Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:28 pm

I'm still masking in public - on transit, in stores, anywhere that's not outdoors basically. Still N95s too, not surgical masks.

My bestie almost died of COVID in the early pandemic, and had a very rough time her second bout despite being fully vaccinated. My partner (not disabled) got COVID once, possibly twice, with all vaccines except the bivalent and now has some weird chronic fatigue shit... And me? I haven't gotten it yet but I'm immunocompromised due to chronic illness and meds for same. So, not easily forgetting the lessons of the early pandemic here.

... Also my mom is in her 70s and I'm visiting her regularly. After all she's been through, i don't want to be the one who brings death into her house.
lady_*nix

Postby SciFiFisher » Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:48 pm

I still see people occasionally masking. It is no longer mandatory at the VA medical clinics and hospitals. I will admit that I do not mask up but I am fully vaccinated and boostered. I did have one positive at home test last year. It was about the same has having a cold for me. From what I have seen employees are various business still tend to mask up the most. Which makes sense considering the large number of possible exposures they would receive.
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby pumpkinpi » Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:27 am

Just an anecdote....I talked to a colleague today who had a covid a month ago. She said she was miserable, sicker than she's been in a long time. 102 fever, knocked out for 5 days. Still has a lingering cough.

Up to date on her shots. No underlying conditions. In her 40s. She had tested positive a couple times in the past when her family members had it, but was asymptomatic.

So, it's still out there and can still be pretty harsh.
pumpkinpi

Postby Thumper » Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:48 pm

Maybe about 1 in a thousand people here wearing masks. Even less covering their nose. I love the people I see alone in their cars all masked up. I've been to several indoor concerts, no masks to be seen. I had two dr's appts last week. I think one nurse had a mask. I see them the most in grocery stores.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby lady_*nix » Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:07 pm

TBH I also think I've gotten to like covering half my face in public. It kind of encourages people to mind their own business and leave me alone.
lady_*nix

PreviousNext

Return to Hanging Around