Ecuador

Ecuador

Postby Thumper » Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:08 pm

Back from my 9 day trip to Ecuador. Went from Quito east to 13,000 ft, then continued East to the Mighty Napo river down into the Amazonian rain rain forest at 350 ft by powered canoe and back. I "saw" 450 individual species of birds that I had never seen before as well as 6 flavors of monkee, frog, bear, Caiman, plants and flowers, and a few huge bugs. But more importantly, it was a life changing experience for me. With one solitary exception (Hint, she worked airport security) the Ecuadorians were the nicest, kindest, friendliest, generous people I have ever met. And many of them have nothing, I mean dirt and a machete.
I'm not the world traveler so this was a shocking, life changing experience. One I'm still processing and hope I can continue to learn from and never forget.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Re: Ecuador

Postby Rommie » Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:53 pm

That sounds fantastic! What lodge were you at? We headed to the Napo too on our honeymoon in August, stayed at the Napo Wildlife Center. I'm guessing you were there a lot longer than us though (we did 4 nights), we saw "only" 150 bird species or so. :lol:

But yes, we went there and Galapagos, and both were neat in their own way, but the Napo sure made a bigger impression on me. Something about seeing the bridge where you get on/off the motorized boat and realizing the water from that point has no bridge on it until it reaches the other side of Brazil... that it's nothing but more of the same in terms of jungle for the size of the continental USA... one of those places that really made me appreciate how big the world is. And yes, Ecuadorians are lovely people.

Hope that trip over the Andes was less exhausting for you though- damn those are some windy, high altitude roads. :shock:
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby geonuc » Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:03 am

Pics or it didn't happen. :D
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby grapes » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:26 pm

geonuc wrote:Pics or it didn't happen. :D

At least a hundred bird pics, right?
grapes
Resident News Hound

Postby Rommie » Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:08 pm

I definitely had >100 from like one or two days alone, so that is probably conservative. :)
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:14 pm

We visited the shelter by the clay lick of the Napo Wildlife Center. But we stayed 4 nights on the other side of the river at the Sani Lodge, operated by the Kichwa tribe. We birded for several days on our way to the "dock" where we boated down to the Lodge. So we put it a little further downstream near Limoncocha. I'm guessing you started near Coca? Yeah, no bridges, and for long spans, no roads, or signs of electricity.

I'm guessing Rommie, you saw or heard more birds, just didn't identify them. My partner and the three guides we were with over the duration were absolute wizards at hearing the different species, identifying them, and then often calling them in so we could see them if they were being shy or stubborn. Also, the local ones, knew exactly where to go to see an owl, or Harby Eagle, or any number of other birds they just knew were there.

And yes, those high twisting roads in the mountains and hills, dodging huge potholes, giant road slips, along with gigantic trucks the the crazies who were trying to pass them was great fun.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:16 pm

On a technical note, what would be the easiest way to allow you guys to view a few pictures here? My partner is going to send me a google photos link to his pics. I (with help) plan on sending him a link to mine when it's created. Is that something I can just post a link here?
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:10 pm

Ah cool- yes, our lodge was also run by Kichwa, just presumably a different village. I went to that clay lick too! :) Basically, if you take the littler stream an hour further up that way you get to where we were. How funny that we vacation in the same place half a world away! :P

You're probably right on the birds, our guide was also local and amazing at finding us stuff out of nowhere, but I'm sure if you go with a serious birder you get the serious birder guide. ;) Did you have a favorite btw? Mine was the many banded acarai, because goddamn, how could there be a toucan that's basically a giant bumblebee and I'd never heard of this before?!

I'm happy to sort through a google images album if you post it! Can always be to back room if you don't want it publicly findable.
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:52 pm

I loved all the different toucans! The young Harby Eagle was amazing because apparently almost no one ever sees it. There were so many gorgeous birds. A couple of the woodpeckers I really liked. I grew fond of the Tropical Kingbird, not because it was super colorful, but because it is related to the Eastern Kingbird I have around here only in June. And I could identify it on my own. Apparently, they are so common, my friend and guide just started referring to it as "TK" whenever I spotted one. :oops:
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:28 pm

Haha yes, there were a lot of them. :) The eagle sounds super cool!
Rommie

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:00 am

Our bird excitement was seeing a Cardinal. California has lots of birds but Cardinal's don't seem to like it. :think:
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:21 pm

We joked about cardinals with our guide while down there. If we would have seen one down there we would have become world famous. My guide was a little taken back that I have recorded seeing 54 cardinals at once in my yard and see them each and every day of the year.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:16 pm

Yeah, I remember we had a fun time describing loons to our guide and showing him pics/ sounds from them. He was like "so they're howler monkey birds?" and I was like you know, not the worst description of the sound if you're used to howler monkeys.
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:27 pm

Rommie wrote:Yeah, I remember we had a fun time describing loons to our guide and showing him pics/ sounds from them. He was like "so they're howler monkey birds?" and I was like you know, not the worst description of the sound if you're used to howler monkeys.

Thad is hilarious.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:28 pm

I've posted a link to way too many pics and vids over in the BR.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Return to Hanging Around