Volunteering

Volunteering

Postby Thumper » Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:32 pm

Everyone should do it, I should do it more. For years the highlight of my occupational year was the week I worked at Mrs. T's conference. She worked for an educational non profit and they would hold an big annual conference where thousands of middle school teachers, principals, and college professors would descend on an unsuspecting city. I'd been helping since 1990. It was some of the longest days, and hardest work I ever did. To be there with the dedicated staff always working through adversity and making it a successful conference was exhilarating and inspiring. Being a selfish person, I like to feel good. Helping at the conference even at the worst of times always made me feel good. I got to know some wonderful people, met some new, awesome people each year, and gained people skills and new experiences as I was pushed into different tasks.

Then it all stopped with covid. And eventually, it would end forever when Mrs. T got downsized. I would never work another of her conferences again. One of the little burgs just north of us has a summer festival. Actually, all the little burgs do. We have enjoyed the Picktown Palooza for years because it's very cheap to get in and they always have great live music with national acts. A near life long friend of mine is a high school classmate of the event organizer. So I got his contact and when the festival resumed last year, I asked if I could volunteer. I did shit jobs last year and helped with the unglorious task of cleaning up the day after.

This year I started out with the shit jobs but worked my way up and into the inner circle of the core volunteers. I helped the band roadies load in and load out the stage. I helped them pack their trailers after their sets. I worked front of stage security. It was frustrating, boring, annoying, and the best three days I've had in quite a while. Saturday was a 16 hour day. It was inspiring to be with volunteers again, having the worst day of their life, but dedicating themselves to the success of the show. I'm in. I told Mrs. T I found my new conference family.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Re: Volunteering

Postby Rommie » Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:48 pm

That's awesome. :)

F was always very into volunteering when we first met in the Netherlands- he was a regular at a local music venue, and literally took vacation time to help out with a big festival he enjoyed. Lots of stage building and drinks pouring! But somehow it never took off in the USA, as I guess a lot of venues are more profit driven/ have rules over who can work the bar/event.

He's heading back this September for a week of holiday, several days of which is to help out with the music festival, so happy he gets to do it for the first time in years.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby SciFiFisher » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:50 pm

We started volunteering to watch our grandkids. :rockon:
Our daughter just started a new job and with daycare prices being what they are I am pretty sure we can use the free daycare and guilt to make sure she takes care of us when we get really old roll:
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:09 pm

Rommie, that's awesome.
Fisher, that's hilarious. 8-)
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:18 pm

I've been meaning to volunteer my construction skills to Think Wild, a local wildlife rescue place, but haven't yet. Things get in the way - injuries, COVID, this stupid part-time engineering gig I foolishly signed up for. But I have been volunteering as a technical/copy editor for a guy who publishes books about submarines.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:44 pm

Well that's pretty cool. Yeah, things always get in the way. I'm the king of that. It's so easy not to. Like Rommie said, sometimes you literally have to take vacation to do it. I remember the look on people's faces when I answered the question.
So how are you related to the conference or the company?
My wife works for the company
So you do too?
No, I work for the state of Ohio, I'm on vacation this week. 8-)
This after several 12 hour days of intense hard work.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:55 pm

So I got to do it again. I volunteered at the Palooza for all three days. I wormed my way into the inner circle and was a stage hand doing the load in and load out for all the bands. I also did some front of stage security but they separated those duties this year because it's hard for one crew to do both efficiently. Basically three 16 hour days in a row. It was intense, it was annoying, it was hot and sweaty, it was bloody. It was amazing. There is nothing like common, grueling hard work to bring people together. These friendships being forged are awesome. I also get an amazing opportunity to view the life that I had considered but still get to go home and sleep in my own bed each night.
I had glamorized about working with traveling bands from time to time. I met some amazing people, some grizzled old vets, some "kids" out on their first tours. Great stories, great personalities. And eventually, all appreciative of our efforts. They bring these bands to town on the cheap because the bands do not have to hire large union crews to put the show on, they use us as free, stupid labor. It was touching when the two man crew who rented the backline equipment that most bands used sought us out to thank us and give us hugs before they left with all the gear.
Anyway, so many stories, I was recounting to Mrs. T for days. It took days to recover, I was so tired and sore. Look forward to doing it again. But happy to wait until next year.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:00 pm

Oh, a really cool thing, a month before the festival, I took Dad to an airshow at the local AFB. He's getting older and is having mobility issues so I sprung for a couple pricey pavilion seats: a big tent to sit out of the sun, food and beverages, private restrooms, and our own seats on the flight display line. Also, golf cart rides to and from the handicapped parking lot. We had a great time. But when we were checking in at the pavilion, I recognized a couple of the volunteers: my buddies from the Palooza! So we agreed if they have another air show in Columbus, we will all volunteer together. We're nuts!
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:18 pm

Cool. Both events.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Return to Hanging Around