Baltimore Bridge

Baltimore Bridge

Postby Rommie » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:36 pm

So I know this wasn't due to crumbling infrastructure, but I can't help but think about how back in the day when the Minneapolis bridge collapsed it was shocking that a bridge could collapse, and now it just feels like this happens every year. And speaking of MN, pumpkinpi, all your people alright? I know you're from the area.

Absolutely insane video, and how lucky they are that it happened in the middle of the night instead of during the day, else hundreds of people would be dead for sure.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Re: Baltimore Bridge

Postby geonuc » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:56 pm

Incredibly lucky to have happened in the wee hours. Horrifying where you can see the lights of the road crew on the video.

As an engineer - albeit not a civil engineer - I'm aware of how truss bridges are an exercise in balanced forces and load distribution but it's still shocking to see it come down so fast.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby pumpkinpi » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:31 pm

Yes, this is a horrific accident. I'm actually in Maryland right now, I flew here yesterday. Fortunately I flew in to Philly, so I didn't have to worry about travel disruptions going from the Baltimore airport to my dad's house.

My sister works in downtown Baltimore, and can see the collapsed bridge and the boat from her office. Both her and her husband's commutes will be affected with traffic diverted. I can't even imagine how long it is going to take to rebuild the bridge. This being a port, it has so much impact even worldwide.

What I've heard that amazes me the most is that from when the ship put out a mayday to the collapse is that department of transportation workers were able to stop traffic from going on the bridge. I'm not sure how many vehicles that would have been at that time of night, but I do think it saved lives.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby Rommie » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:12 pm

I heard that too! Hope those guys get the key to the city or equivalent, because they deserve it. Like there you are on the night shift, suddenly something happens they likely never even trained for, and they acted within a minute or two. A real bright spot in such a huge mess.

Hope your trip goes well, all circumstances considered.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Return to Hanging Around