Green Thumbs

Re: Green Thumbs

Postby brite » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:09 pm

Thumper wrote:And bullying each other. They're mean little suckers. I saw one picking on a cardinal last week.

In the Caribbean, they are called the "fierce warrior"... In Texas, we had a flock of them, 2 8 station feeders and only 1 bird could "own" the feeders a day... the fights were incredible... they would slingshot themselves off the sliding glass doors, to get back into the fight! And the chattering! OMG! I don't think that people realize how much noise those little buggers make, other than the humming of their little wings! And if the feeders are empty... Gods help you! They will dive bomb your ass... roll:
brite
Wild Pixie in Action

Postby Thumper » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:14 pm

Yup, sure are.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Mon May 16, 2016 5:55 pm

Got most of my sunflowers in. Also trying some basil and cilantro. Mrs. T has several types of peppers and tomatoes close to the house. Other than the usual flowers around the beds, that's it, nothing fancy.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby vendic » Mon May 16, 2016 7:08 pm

We've got oregano, thyme, basil, rosemary, chives, sage and coriander in our little herb garden near the bbq.
This is the first time we've had coriander grow well and we've been trying for a long time.
Turns out, it is a cool weather plant that needs lots of sun. Now that it's warming up it's not doing as well.
It's great to just go out back and get fresh herbs for cooking.

We used to grow chili's and bell pepper, tomatoes etc.
Turns out we far prefer fresh herbs to fresh veggies.
It's easier to grow, near year round production and the flavor is very distinct compared to store bought or dried.

We probably won't go back to growing veggies till we get back to Oz.
Herbs on the other hand we can grow on the boat.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby SciFiFisher » Mon May 16, 2016 8:45 pm

Does anyone use marigolds for pest control?
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Swift » Mon May 16, 2016 8:52 pm

SciFiFisher wrote:Does anyone use marigolds for pest control?

I have in the past, around tomato plants. Seem to work, but I didn't do a control.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby geonuc » Tue May 17, 2016 12:20 pm

Swift wrote:

I have in the past, around tomato plants. Seem to work, but I didn't do a control.

Scientist.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Swift » Tue May 17, 2016 4:10 pm

geonuc wrote:
Swift wrote:

Scientist.

Why do you think we have two cats......

:shock:

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby vendic » Tue May 17, 2016 4:31 pm

In case one die in the box?
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby Swift » Tue May 17, 2016 5:56 pm

No Quantum Mechanics involved. Just need a control for the experiments I conduct. :twisted:

Swift

Postby SciFi Chick » Tue May 17, 2016 6:01 pm

Planted snap dragons for the first time ever. They need six hours of sun, a day, to thrive. It's been about a month, and we've had solid rain and clouds. I feel like I live in England or Seattle. It sucks.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Thumper » Tue May 17, 2016 7:47 pm

We spent 3 days in Seattle. We had sunshine every day. I'm not going back. That will never happen again.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFi Chick » Tue May 17, 2016 8:44 pm

Thumper wrote:We spent 3 days in Seattle. We had sunshine every day. I'm not going back. That will never happen again.

:rofl:
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby SciFiFisher » Wed May 18, 2016 5:22 am

Thumper wrote:We spent 3 days in Seattle. We had sunshine every day. I'm not going back. That will never happen again.

If you knew Seattle like I know Seattle you would really know how true that statement is. :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Rommie » Wed May 18, 2016 2:56 pm

That's like me and Norway. It was perfect blue skies for five days straight, hell I even got a little sunburned. How can I go back?!
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:17 pm

A hot mess.
Or as the kids say now: A Dumpster Fire.
I kept the sunflowers fenced in until most were over 5 foot tall so that the big critters wouldn't decimate them. Kept cayenne sprinkled about and stinky soap hanging from the fencing. I tried to think them out some but couldn't bring myself to do it enough. Also, I planted some pumpkin and zucchini for ground cover. They never really did anything before. This year they went crazy and they attached themselves to everything, climbing up and pulling down the sunflowers. Most of them tipped over in the first big thunderstorm of late July. I put a bunch of stakes in and saved many of them. The pumpkins are out of control, but we will get some. Added bonus: I fertilized with compost when I planted and put some more in when I thinned and replanted. Some of my compost must have had tomato seeds in it. I ended up with 4-6 tomato plants, at least 3 different species (most small). I've gotten about 10 tomatoes a day for the last 20 days out of there. But it sure looks like crap. Most of the sunflowers are tall, skinny with small heads since they were competing for water and root space. I'll see what I can do better next year. Once things started to get out of hand I decided to just let them go.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:01 pm

Ended up with 4-5 big green Cinderella pumpkins. Many more small ones still growing may get a few more. With the warm fall, the tomatoes, both planned and unplanned are still going strong. I have about 20 that are ripe right now. Hoping to do some tomato/basil/mozzarella appetizers with them. Can't believe they're still producing.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:38 am

I made it to the produce aisle of the grocery store. Picked up some mighty tasty Cantaloupes. :P
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:30 am

You Go!
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:43 pm

I picked about 30 little tomatoes last night as we came in. I hope to fix them up tonight with some basil and mozzarella. We finally got our frost and I expect that the vine will be done. Although there were still a good 20-30 small green tomatoes on there. Fresh delicious home grown tomatoes harvested on November 9th.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:52 am

Thumper wrote:I picked about 30 little tomatoes last night as we came in. I hope to fix them up tonight with some basil and mozzarella. We finally got our frost and I expect that the vine will be done. Although there were still a good 20-30 small green tomatoes on there. Fresh delicious home grown tomatoes harvested on November 9th.

Have you ever tried fried green tomatoes? They can be quite yummy.
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:50 pm

I thought the movie was okay. :P
Mrs. T has fried them up before. This vine creates small cherry like tomatoes so I don't think frying the green leftovers will be very profitable.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Mon May 15, 2017 12:10 pm

Finally got around to working on my sunflower beds. I haven't had time and it's been much too wet to till. I should get everything planted tomorrow. Then the struggle really begins. I actually transplanted a couple last night. There always seems to be a few volunteers in the gravel by the picnic table. Mrs. T has steadily been filling the beds around the house with colorful flowers and tasty herbs The butterflies, bees, and hummingbirds should be happy.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby vendic » Mon May 15, 2017 1:53 pm

I wish I could have a garden.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby SciFiFisher » Wed May 17, 2017 6:47 pm

vendic wrote:I wish I could have a garden.

You guys could probably do a window sill herb garden. It wouldn’t be much but it might brighten your day a bit.
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

PreviousNext

Return to Hanging Around