Just another observation

Poli-meaning many
Tics-blood sucking insects

Yep... that about sums up the Government...

Just another observation

Postby lady_*nix » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:31 pm

Most news media pretty regularly run "good Samaritan" articles like this:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/ ... ng-swimmer

What's interesting to me is that it's almost always about a man rescuing a woman. IDK what the statistical bias towards that IRL is, but I suspect it's a lot less than what I see in the news.

A while ago I think I mentioned here that articles about the deaths of female soldiers are tangibly different than those about the deaths of male soldiers - the framing is more "what a tragedy it is to lose a beautiful young woman" instead of the martyrdom framing of "he died for his country". This feels like more of same, honestly.

Edit: like to be clear I'm not saying running articles like this is a bad thing (LOL no). More that the way they're curated has a serious undercurrent to me of "women should be grateful for how we protect them", and maybe also of "women have to rely on men because they can't rely on each other".
lady_*nix

Re: Just another observation

Postby Rommie » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:40 pm

I wish they had the saying in English, but in both Hungarian and Dutch there's a saying for this type of journalism this time of year, called "cucumber season." Typically relates to August (when cucumbers are ripe), when nothing is happening because everyone is on holiday so there are tropes no one had to think about, or something inconsequential super blown up beyond reason.

Anyway, might be a different season but this does scream "cucumber season" at me.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby lady_*nix » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:21 pm

"Cucumber season", I love it. :lol: But yeah I do suspect there's a bias here in which cucumber season items are considered newsworthy.
lady_*nix

Postby code monkey » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:33 am

Rommie wrote:I wish they had the saying in English, but in both Hungarian and Dutch there's a saying for this type of journalism this time of year, called "cucumber season." Typically relates to August (when cucumbers are ripe), when nothing is happening because everyone is on holiday so there are tropes no one had to think about, or something inconsequential super blown up beyond reason.

Anyway, might be a different season but this does scream "cucumber season" at me.

I believe that in the us it's known as the silly season.
and still i persist in wondering whether folly must always be our nemesis. edgar pangborn

come gentle night. come loving black browed night
give me my romeo. and when he shall die
take him and cut him out in little stars
and he will make the face of heaven so fine
that all will be in love with night
and pay no worship to the garish sun. william shakespeare
code monkey

Return to Poli-Tics