Joe Manchin does a 180 on climate legislation

Poli-meaning many
Tics-blood sucking insects

Yep... that about sums up the Government...

Joe Manchin does a 180 on climate legislation

Postby lady_*nix » Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:18 am

Yes really.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ate-health

What happened? I'm guessing two things. The first is compromise:

According to a policy brief, the bill will generate $739bn through a 15% corporate minimum tax, prescription drug savings and other means. It excludes surtaxes on people making at least $10m a year, ending Democrats’ push to make the wealthiest Americans pay more taxes.

Manchin is a rich fuckoff who loves accepting money from other rich fuckoffs, so this probably sweetened the deal for him.

The other thing though, I would guess, is backroom pressure from Pres Biden and the party leadership. Maybe a threat of expulsion from the Democratic party, maybe a hint they might air some dirty laundry, IDK. Why do I say this? Because this is the kind of tactic the Republicans frequently use to keep each other in line, and part of why they've presented such a unified front.

I'm not sure but I'm hoping, hoping, that the Dem leadership are starting to feel public pressure lately, and actually get with the program a bit.
lady_*nix

Re: Joe Manchin does a 180 on climate legislation

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:27 pm

I was a bit shocked when Manchin did his about face. Now we get to see if it is Senima's turn to be the asshole.

I half expect Joe to declare himself a Republican the next time he runs.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Re: Joe Manchin does a 180 on climate legislation

Postby Rommie » Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:10 pm

Won't shock me at all- realistically, I don't think he can get re-elected in West Virginia as a Democrat any more, and we know he's spineless.

Cue something something about how the sausage gets made in this entire business. The only trick about Senima is she's crazy/ likes attention, but it's far harder to stand up and be the sole voice of dissent than be one of two holding things up. Particularly since Arizona is demographically NOT West Virginia...

I still think there's a decent chance of it dying just because Joe Manchin changes his mind or something similarly stupid though.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Return to Poli-Tics