SCOTUS may be about to kill US democracy completely

Poli-meaning many
Tics-blood sucking insects

Yep... that about sums up the Government...

SCOTUS may be about to kill US democracy completely

Postby lady_*nix » Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:58 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... reme-court

TL;DR if they decide in line with the independent state legislature theory, states would be legally allowed to tamper with their electoral votes, with the courts being able to do nothing. Likewise for any other kind of state-level tampering in federal elections. No more Democratic Presidents ever, and the Republicans would quickly retake both the House and Senate.

Edit: and yes, timing this right before the 2022 elections is obviously deliberate.
lady_*nix

Re: SCOTUS may be about to kill US democracy completely

Postby Rommie » Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:44 pm

Yeah I heard about this one a little while ago, but I'm not sure what there is to do about it personally because it's not like any of my elected officials are going to support such a thing.

Crazy stuff though, Mitch McConnell supports a bill to make this illegal(and to redo some electoral college stuff to make Jan 6 less possible in the future). Welcome to the resistance, Mitch. (/s if that wasn't clear)
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby lady_*nix » Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:49 am

@Rommie

I figure he'd still reverse course if he thought there were more money and power in it, but yeah, I guess having one's own hide endangered can do that.
lady_*nix

Postby Rommie » Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:32 pm

Cool shit- this was rejected by the Supreme Court today in a 6-3 ruling.

I mean, they can still do a lot of fuckery, but at least this particular kind of fuckery is off the table.
Rommie

Postby code monkey » Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:55 am

Rommie wrote:Cool shit- this was rejected by the Supreme Court today in a 6-3 ruling.

I mean, they can still do a lot of fuckery, but at least this particular kind of fuckery is off the table.

not at all what i expected and i don't think i've ever been so happy to be wrong.
and still i persist in wondering whether folly must always be our nemesis. edgar pangborn

come gentle night. come loving black browed night
give me my romeo. and when he shall die
take him and cut him out in little stars
and he will make the face of heaven so fine
that all will be in love with night
and pay no worship to the garish sun. william shakespeare
code monkey

Postby Rommie » Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:18 pm

Indeed. I mean, affirmative action died today which I was expecting, and is bad... but I was expecting to feel a lot worse at the end of this month.

I was reading somewhere that the justices in the court (particularly Roberts) are worried about the fact that they don't appear to be legitimate to many people. Maybe this is just a cynical attempt to change that, but not like we'll ever really know or can do much about it.
Rommie

Return to Poli-Tics