Activer Shooter at OSU

Had a crappy day? Think your only friend is the dog? Got fired? Someone piss in your Wheaties? Just need to blow off some steam and rant? Here's the place to do it. No judgement, maybe some sympathy, possibly some advice... but definitely a safe place to go off on the world.

Activer Shooter at OSU

Postby Thumper » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:03 pm

Reports all over the board on an active shooter at the Ohio State University in Columbus Ohio. But it looks like one dead, probably the suspect, 7-9 injured transported to local hospitals. School is on lockdown.

It's a stupid mess. Checking with friends to see if they've contacted people they know on campus.

And we all just nod and say, "What a shame," and go back to what ever it was we were doing. :(
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Re: Activer Shooter at OSU

Postby Cyborg Girl » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:01 pm

WTF. :scream:
Cyborg Girl
Boy Genius

Postby Thumper » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:02 pm

Yep.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:08 pm

I keep thinking of people who probably have people on campus. Just texted with a real close buddy of mine. Half his family is there: Wife works there, daughter a student. All are well so far. Just heard the lockdown is over.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFi Chick » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:15 pm

Turns out he wasn't a shooter. He ran into some people with his car, then stabbed a bunch of people with a butcher knife before being put down. He is the only death. I consider that a win, and I hope none of his victims are maimed for life.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Thumper » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:22 pm

All that appears to be true. It was also reported that most of the victims were conscious when brought to the hospitals and were able to contact loved ones and family members. At the last impromptu news conference they still were not releasing any names. But it looks like one of the victims may be in critical condition.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:32 pm

I wonder how long it will be before colleges become walled enclaves? :(
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Swift » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:38 pm

Thumper wrote:And we all just nod and say, "What a shame," and go back to what ever it was we were doing. :(

Sorry, but I've been that way for a long time. I'm not sure if there was a single turning point, but if I had to pick one, it was Sandy Hook. 20 dead little kids and their teachers and the country did nothing. And yeah, yeah, I know this wasn't a shooting. But unless I might know someone personally at one of these shooting or other assorted acts of mass violence, I pretty much just shrug it off. And I have no expectation that anything will change any time in the future.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby Thumper » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:27 pm

Nor do I. But this did hit me a little closer. I kept running through the list of all the people I knew on campus, or all the people I knew who had people. And it was stressful and concerning. In reality it was over in a couple of minutes. And there's lots and lots of talking about it on the radio this morning, I assume local TV as well. But we're all "back to normal."
Of course they called it an "active shooter" situation because that's how the mass texts go out to tell everyone to hide-run-fight.

Talking about walled enclaves, the local police dept immediately had a presence at The Kid's school and every school in that suburb even though it is clear on the other side of town. I'm not complaining at all. But the solution is always to throw more cops and possibly restrict regular people's rights and activities.

Hey look: I almost sound like the NRA!
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:31 pm

Not usually a fan when Ohio makes national news.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:42 pm

SciFiFisher wrote:I wonder how long it will be before colleges become walled enclaves? :(

Actually we are now going in the opposite direction, as the University of Texas is now forced to allow armed students on campus. I know some people teaching there, any anyone who's ever dealt with a pissed off student knows why they're kinda freaked out about that.

I agree with swift though, I think Sandy Hook really was the turning point. If you're not willing to act when a mentally ill man shoots up a classroom of first graders, you never will.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby vendic » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:00 pm

That (Sandy Hook) was a low point in realising just how much control the gun lobby has here.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby Thumper » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:43 pm

Things recovering fairly well. I think only one or two victims still in hospital. All expected to live. The suspect (currently dead) was of Somali decent. Different communities and organizations coming together to denounce the actions of one idiot and defend the Somali community in general. Several moving vigils held on campus.

I did see in one of the twitter repeat "news" stories a tweet from the U of M Athletic Department simply stating, "Stay Safe, Buckeyes." That was nice.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:00 pm

There is a story circulating. Some of the students who were veterans apparently helped barricade the room they were in. They also placed themselves defensively at the door with the intent to protect the other students if the attacker came through the door. If true, it is nice to know that goodness can still be found even in situations like this.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:17 pm

SciFiFisher wrote:There is a story circulating. Some of the students who were veterans apparently helped barricade the room they were in. They also placed themselves defensively at the door with the intent to protect the other students if the attacker came through the door. If true, it is nice to know that goodness can still be found even in situations like this.

I hadn't heard that story but will look for it.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:27 pm

Here's at least One Story of a Marine vet taking action in a classroom near the scene. I refer to him as a "marine" rather than how the story labeled him as a "former marine." :P

Pretty sure I'd have been thankful to have him in my class.

Nother story, same guy. Not having a plan, is having a plan to fail.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFi Chick » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:53 am

"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Thumper » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:36 pm

Which physical fitness requirements can the peace officer in the blue T-shirt pass? :P
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFi Chick » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:41 pm

Thumper wrote:Which physical fitness requirements can the peace officer in the blue T-shirt pass? :P

I bet he's a detective. They can just eat donuts and sit on their asses while they solve things. ;)
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby geonuc » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:51 pm

SciFi Chick wrote:
Thumper wrote:Which physical fitness requirements can the peace officer in the blue T-shirt pass? :P

I bet he's a detective. They can just eat donuts and sit on their asses while they solve things. ;)

A lot of police officers recoil at the donut-eating stereotype. They go for bagels and cream cheese instead.

But yeah, he looks a little volume-challenged for a cop.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Swift » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:07 pm

geonuc wrote:
SciFi Chick wrote:

A lot of police officers recoil at the donut-eating stereotype. They go for bagels and cream cheese instead.

Back in my EMT days (mid 1980s) there was a fair amount of truth about cops hanging out in donut shops. But there was a reason for that.

At 3 or 4 in the morning, the only food place open on Providence's Eastside was the local Dunkin' Donuts, so that's the place the cops went for "lunch" (the mid-shift meal is always "lunch", no matter the time of day). And the DD did give the cops free coffee and donuts - that's why no one ever held up a DD at 3 a.m. - cheapest security system ever.

The free coffee rarely extended to EMTs, except if we were sitting there talking to a cop we knew; I guess at that point it was hard to refuse one uniform sitting next to another.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:52 pm

Swift wrote:
geonuc wrote:
SciFi Chick wrote:

Back in my EMT days (mid 1980s) there was a fair amount of truth about cops hanging out in donut shops. But there was a reason for that.

At 3 or 4 in the morning, the only food place open on Providence's Eastside was the local Dunkin' Donuts, so that's the place the cops went for "lunch" (the mid-shift meal is always "lunch", no matter the time of day). And the DD did give the cops free coffee and donuts - that's why no one ever held up a DD at 3 a.m. - cheapest security system ever.

The free coffee rarely extended to EMTs, except if we were sitting there talking to a cop we knew; I guess at that point it was hard to refuse one uniform sitting next to another.

Yes, when I was in law enforcement we hung out at the 24 hour places both on and off duty. They had coffee. :lol:
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby SciFi Chick » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:20 pm

I've certainly seen more than one uniform at the Waffle House. And I don't normally cotton to the donut stereotype either, but this guy just looks like a donut eater. :lol:
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Return to Bitch, Moan, and Rant