BMR Lite

Had a crappy day? Think your only friend is the dog? Got fired? Someone piss in your Wheaties? Just need to blow off some steam and rant? Here's the place to do it. No judgement, maybe some sympathy, possibly some advice... but definitely a safe place to go off on the world.

BMR Lite

Postby Rommie » Wed May 29, 2013 7:52 pm

I realized we needed to start this thread today because I just learned I am double TAing in October- teaching Astrophysica for 7 weeks starting in September (two tutorials a week plus grading ) and the Master's level observing course in Oct/Nov.

I love to teach but man oh man that's going to be a bit of work...
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Re: BMR Lite

Postby geonuc » Wed May 29, 2013 10:35 pm

Rommie wrote:I realized we needed to start this thread today because I just learned I am double TAing in October- teaching Astrophysica for 7 weeks starting in September (two tutorials a week plus grading ) and the Master's level observing course in Oct/Nov.

Send the papers over here. We'll grade them. :shock:
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Swift » Thu May 30, 2013 2:24 am

geonuc wrote:
Rommie wrote:I realized we needed to start this thread today because I just learned I am double TAing in October- teaching Astrophysica for 7 weeks starting in September (two tutorials a week plus grading ) and the Master's level observing course in Oct/Nov.

Yeah, we got equipment for that.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby pumpkinpi » Thu May 30, 2013 4:31 am

This is fucking ridiculous. I am 2 weeks past strep throat and scarlet fever, and I am coming down with another cold.
We have been sick in this house since January. I'm not kidding when I say we have not gone more than 2 weeks without some sort of ailment.

It's all Russter's fault. She's always the first one to bring something home, and then it spreads. When she starts having a runny nose, watch out! Poor thing with her developing immune system.....
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby geonuc » Thu May 30, 2013 9:49 am

pumpkinpi wrote:This is fucking ridiculous. I am 2 weeks past strep throat and scarlet fever, and I am coming down with another cold.
We have been sick in this house since January. I'm not kidding when I say we have not gone more than 2 weeks without some sort of ailment.

Do you think you might have something wrong with your immune system? I was under the impression that once the body had its defenses up, things like colds had trouble settling in. Maybe I'm naive on that issue.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby gethen » Thu May 30, 2013 11:30 am

Pumpkinpi, my son was saying the same thing about his toddler this past winter: the little guys nose was always running and he coughed constantly. But he says his 4 year old was the same way at that age and is now in the normal range for catching those bugs. Hope Russter will follow that pattern. Nevertheless, you have my sympathies. Sick kids, sick kitty, sick you. You have every right to complain.
gethen

Postby pumpkinpi » Thu May 30, 2013 12:27 pm

geonuc wrote:
pumpkinpi wrote:This is fucking ridiculous. I am 2 weeks past strep throat and scarlet fever, and I am coming down with another cold.

Do you think you might have something wrong with your immune system? I was under the impression that once the body had its defenses up, things like colds had trouble settling in. Maybe I'm naive on that issue.

Yes, I know I do. I have an autoimmune disease, and am on A medication that lowers my immunity. So it is completely no surprise that I catch everything! The Brightside is that even though I get sick a lot most cases are mild and I recover quickly .

But I think you are pretty much correct. Buster was this sick his first winter and now doesn't catch much of what goes around day care and home.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Postby cid » Fri May 31, 2013 8:06 pm

geonuc wrote:

A professor was giving a big test one day to his students. He handed out all of the tests and went back to his desk to wait. Once the test was over the students all handed the tests back in. The professor noticed that one of the students had attached a $100 bill to his test with a note saying "A dollar per point." The next class the professor handed the graded tests back out. This student got back his test, his test grade, and $64 change. (from Joke Of The Day)
Dear Algebra -- stop asking us to find your x. She's not coming back - ever. Get over it.
cid
Database Ninja Level 1

Postby Rommie » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:22 pm

cid wrote:
geonuc wrote:

A professor was giving a big test one day to his students. He handed out all of the tests and went back to his desk to wait. Once the test was over the students all handed the tests back in. The professor noticed that one of the students had attached a $100 bill to his test with a note saying "A dollar per point." The next class the professor handed the graded tests back out. This student got back his test, his test grade, and $64 change. (from Joke Of The Day)

Love it. :D

Really though, I must be a born teacher because I actually enjoy grading- interesting to see on the page how people approach problems and to see how your various students are doing. I even put little stickers on the top when someone does really well, which I've now realized was more for my teacher's amusement in elementary school than my own. :lol:
Rommie

Postby SciFi Chick » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:48 pm

Rommie wrote: I even put little stickers on the top when someone does really well, which I've now realized was more for my teacher's amusement in elementary school than my own. :lol:

:lol:
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby pumpkinpi » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:43 pm

Home again, this time with Buster . He has a fever but other than fatigue he seems ok.
pumpkinpi

Postby Rommie » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:48 am

BMR is too far down the page.

Somehow this seemed an appropriate spot to complain about it. ;)
Rommie

Postby SciFi Chick » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:23 pm

I was thinking the same thing. When I want to rant, I don't want to have to search for the BMR forum. :lol:

By the same token, it also forces us to notice all the other forums. ;)
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby pumpkinpi » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:37 pm

I have my bookmark linked to "view new posts" so I rarely ever see the board index. Talk about efficiency. I never have to search for threads with new posts. :mrgreen:

But yeah, when I did land on the index page, I was surprised!
pumpkinpi

Postby FZR1KG » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:14 pm

So after delay after delay after delay...
The rain has stopped, so I can go back to the restaurant and finish closing up the place.
The usual things, clean it up, shut everything down.
Finish renovating the upstairs apartment that our former employees totally fucked up.

With some luck, today I may be able to finish all of it.
Then its a case of returning the keys and moving on.
On that note, I'm headed off to try and finish up the place.
FZR1KG

Postby SciFi Chick » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:43 pm

Shutting down a business is almost as much work as setting it up. :shock:
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby SciFiFisher » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:55 am

SciFi Chick wrote:Shutting down a business is almost as much work as setting it up. :shock:

It's sort of like one of the laws of thermodynamics. :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby code monkey » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:53 am

SciFiFisher wrote:
SciFi Chick wrote:Shutting down a business is almost as much work as setting it up. :shock:

make it as much work and you've got a state function.
and still i persist in wondering whether folly must always be our nemesis. edgar pangborn

come gentle night. come loving black browed night
give me my romeo. and when he shall die
take him and cut him out in little stars
and he will make the face of heaven so fine
that all will be in love with night
and pay no worship to the garish sun. william shakespeare
code monkey

Postby Swift » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:44 pm

code monkey wrote:
SciFiFisher wrote:

I thought a state function was paving roads and regulating intra-state commerce. :confused:
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby SciFiFisher » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:58 pm

code monkey wrote:
SciFiFisher wrote:

I suspect that because you get a different result each time it's a path function. ;)
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby code monkey » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:15 pm

SciFiFisher wrote:I suspect that because you get a different result each time it's a path function. ;)

he can be taught!
and still i persist in wondering whether folly must always be our nemesis. edgar pangborn

come gentle night. come loving black browed night
give me my romeo. and when he shall die
take him and cut him out in little stars
and he will make the face of heaven so fine
that all will be in love with night
and pay no worship to the garish sun. william shakespeare
code monkey

Postby pumpkinpi » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:52 pm

Biggest disappointment in the world: finishing the container of fast food french fries and digging into the bag for the extras that fell out....only to find none did. They are truly all gone.
:cry:
pumpkinpi

Postby Thumper » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:55 pm

That blows!
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:57 pm

Yesterday was my first afternoon back in town and while cycling to the store there was a huge crowd by the canal so I stopped to see a police boat and a bunch of med/rescue vehicles. Asked what was up, and someone said someone had fallen in and it had turned into a body retrieval operation- no idea about details, but pretty much right after I asked the divers were up with the body covered by a sheet which they were then going to winch out on a stretcher.

I left around then (as I understand human nature to gawk but it's not for me) but what weirded me out is how many people were taking pictures. As if this is just another touristy thing in Amsterdam- look, someone died here and these are the remains! I wonder, would people do the same thing for a car crash by the side of the road? No, I think most of that crowd wouldn't, but somehow an "unusual" death made it ok?

I really do NOT understand many people.
Rommie

Postby Cyborg Girl » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:47 pm

Umm wow. That is creepy as hell.
Cyborg Girl
Boy Genius

Next

Return to Bitch, Moan, and Rant