DOA computer hardware

Had a crappy day? Think your only friend is the dog? Got fired? Someone piss in your Wheaties? Just need to blow off some steam and rant? Here's the place to do it. No judgement, maybe some sympathy, possibly some advice... but definitely a safe place to go off on the world.

DOA computer hardware

Postby lady_*nix » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:42 pm

So today I went to Microcenter with a (strong, able bodied) friend and sank a bunch of my first paycheck into components for a desktop computer. Six-core AMD CPU, nice compact motherboard, 16 GB RAM, etc.

Got home, spent 3 hours assembling the desktop... it was completely DOA. Not only does it not POST or power on, the PSU fan doesn't even start.

I wound up Lyfting with it back to Microcenter and bringing it to their repair people. $40 flat fee for diagnosis, gods only know what for repair. I should have an answer by Tuesday at the earliest.

I know they'll probably point out something simple or obvious ("It's the PSU, duh") but worried about worst case scenarios. I've been scammed and flaked out on a lot, and also just... you know... "Hey dummy you ESDed the whole thing, every electronic component is fried, you'll need to pay for everything over again plus assembly costs." Which seems unlikely, but *gestures at my extensive history of bad luck*

Meanwhile, my work laptop got stuck at a FedEx distribution center and shipped back to sender for unknown reasons, so I'm going to have to spend next week still doing work on my personal laptop, a Surface Pro 3 with 8 GB of RAM. Yaaaaay me.
lady_*nix

Re: DOA computer hardware

Postby Rommie » Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:06 pm

That seems wild for a brand new setup when you just bought everything from them and it could just be a faulty part, but they make you pay anyway for diagnostics. No such thing as a lemon law if you have the receipt?
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby lady_*nix » Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:38 pm

Fortunately I was able to get it repaired at Microcenter... turned out to be a really stupid error on my part :lol: They were nice and only charged for the diagnosis. Yeah, I haven't built a computer in like a decade, and it shows. :oops:
lady_*nix

Postby geonuc » Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:06 pm

Stupid error: been there, done that. Repeatedly.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby lady_*nix » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:27 pm

ID10T error, PEBKAC... yup :lol:
lady_*nix

Postby code monkey » Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:07 am

glad the problem was solved so quickly and (relatively) painlessly. now go and enjoy your new system.

btw did you learn anything about flying off the handle and expecting the worst?
and still i persist in wondering whether folly must always be our nemesis. edgar pangborn

come gentle night. come loving black browed night
give me my romeo. and when he shall die
take him and cut him out in little stars
and he will make the face of heaven so fine
that all will be in love with night
and pay no worship to the garish sun. william shakespeare
code monkey

Postby lady_*nix » Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:09 pm

Thanks cm, and uh... yes I hope I did? :lol:
lady_*nix

Return to Bitch, Moan, and Rant