MA lawmakers take a page from Larry Niven

Had a crappy day? Think your only friend is the dog? Got fired? Someone piss in your Wheaties? Just need to blow off some steam and rant? Here's the place to do it. No judgement, maybe some sympathy, possibly some advice... but definitely a safe place to go off on the world.

MA lawmakers take a page from Larry Niven

Postby lady_*nix » Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:06 pm

Well this is abhorrent: https://freethoughtblogs.com/oceanoxia/ ... ng-scheme/

Some Massachusetts lawmakers proposed a bill that allows prisoners to reduce their sentence by donating blood, marrow, or organs.

Makes me feel ashamed to live in Massachusetts TBH. I will definitely be making some phone calls - this bill is the worst kind of precedent and needs to not pass.
lady_*nix

Re: MA lawmakers take a page from Larry Niven

Postby Rommie » Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:46 pm

Good news, from looking at the linked bill and my understanding of the MA legistlature- people can propose whatever the hell they want. Most of it dies in committee and never actually gets voted upon. And it looks like this bill is still very much in those initial stages.

Still pretty friggin' weird though.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby lady_*nix » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:38 pm

Oh thank the gods, and thank you for the reassurance! But yeah it's still pretty disturbing that this even got floated.
lady_*nix

Postby SciFiFisher » Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:13 am

I saw your post and thought "have these people been watching bad Scifi"? Like the movie "The Repo Men".
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby lady_*nix » Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:15 pm

@Fisher

I'd say that they were missing the point of it too, except Larry Niven is actually known to be a piece of shit: https://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org ... ity-advice

Niven said a good way to help hospitals stem financial losses is to spread rumors in Spanish within the Latino community that emergency rooms are killing patients in order to harvest their organs for transplants.

“The problem [of hospitals going broke] is hugely exaggerated by illegal aliens who aren’t going to pay for anything anyway,” Niven said.

“Do you know how politically incorrect you are?” Pournelle asked.

“I know it may not be possible to use this solution, but it does work,” Niven replied.
lady_*nix

Return to Bitch, Moan, and Rant