JWST

JWST

Postby Rommie » Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:32 pm

So, beautiful images! True story: WGBH in Boston called me up on Tuesday afternoon to get a few "local astronomer weighs in" filler clips. It aired in Boston and I heard it on NHPR as well (ie the New Hampshire one), so I admitted to all of New England that I cried looking at the Carina nebula picture. :)

(F recorded the audio but not sure how to put it up.)

Also, when it rains it pours- or rather, when something like JWST happens a lot of people call up a place like Harvard asking to talk to an astronomer, and even non-tenured fancy people get to do stuff if you are ok with quick turn around. :) The Washington Post wanted someone to work with their graphics guy to label the images, and this is the resulting piece. Turned out great IMO!

Can't wait to see what the telescope releases next!
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Re: JWST

Postby lady_*nix » Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:54 pm

OMG congrats! :shock:
lady_*nix

Postby pumpkinpi » Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:35 am

Very cool that you got to do some press. We got calls at my work, too, and I let one of my staff handle the pieces. I'll do it if I have to, but if I can push it off onto someone else, I will.

My last piece was about the ISS after Russian invaded Ukraine. A station contacted us and wanted to do an interview, but I said no. I had already told my staff that I didn't want to bring politics into our planetarium shows. A week or so later they just showed up at the museum with a camera, so I had to do the piece. They kept pushing and pushing me to say what I thought would happen to the ISS. I eventually said that I have faith the partnership will continue

Now back to our regular news.....I definitely cried, too. It was fun that one of my colleagues and I could watch the image release in our cubes across from each other.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby Rommie » Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:02 pm

Yeah, it definitely made me appreciate that I have a job where I could spend all morning nerding out about the new images, then in the meeting that afternoon with my boss and a student we spend the first few minutes just geeking out together talking about which one's our favorite. Like, it's a pretty obvious job perk in this line of work, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't be thankful for it.
Rommie

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:07 pm

That is amazing stuff Rommie and PumpkinPi. I think the only time I really got interviewed for anything was by an army newsletter/paper. I was the officer in charge of the Nuclear Biological Chemical De-contamination Station for our hospital. My role was to wear protective gear and pretend to tell everyone what to do. ;)

The article was pretty good. I was even quoted. "They come in to the station and we peel them like an onion while we decontaminate and triage the patients". :lol:
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby pumpkinpi » Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:44 pm

SciFiFisher wrote:That is amazing stuff Rommie and PumpkinPi. I think the only time I really got interviewed for anything was by an army newsletter/paper. I was the officer in charge of the Nuclear Biological Chemical De-contamination Station for our hospital. My role was to wear protective gear and pretend to tell everyone what to do. ;)

The article was pretty good. I was even quoted. "They come in to the station and we peel them like an onion while we decontaminate and triage the patients". :lol:

You know how to talk layperson talk!
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Postby Thumper » Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:08 pm

That is an awesome quote! Congrats Rommie!
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:16 pm

Oh just read the article. Niiice.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:30 pm

Thanks all! Turns out the spread got the middle of the front section in the Sunday edition of the Washington Post. Luckily they're sending me a copy, and my friend who works at Space Telescope snagged one bc it lit up their Slack channel- everyone really liked it!

Btw, if anyone needs more JWST in their lives, I'm finding the best stuff right now is on Twitter as scientists just process their data and put up some early pretty images. Like check out this galaxy- holy crap! :shock:

Also amazing, turns out my student is on a team frantically analyzing the JWST data from TRAPPIST-1, which was supposed to happen later but got moved up. So proud of him! What a great project to kickstart your career on.
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:44 pm

Sweet picture. Also, a professor being supportive and enthusiastic about their student... What a concept! ;)
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby pumpkinpi » Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:23 pm

Rommie wrote:
Also amazing, turns out my student is on a team frantically analyzing the JWST data from TRAPPIST-1, which was supposed to happen later but got moved up. So proud of him! What a great project to kickstart your career on.

:wave: :cheer:

The pictures are awesome but what I'm most excited about is the exoplanet science!!!!
pumpkinpi

Postby pumpkinpi » Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:26 pm

Rommie wrote:
Btw, if anyone needs more JWST in their lives, I'm finding the best stuff right now is on Twitter as scientists just process their data and put up some early pretty images. Like check out this galaxy- holy crap! :shock:

I saw that image in passing, I scrolled past it because I thought it was a joke! That's REAL?!?!?!?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pumpkinpi

Postby Rommie » Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:06 pm

Well I mean we don't see in infrared so you can choose whatever color you want... :?
Rommie

Postby SciFiFisher » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:55 pm

I like the colors even when I know they are added in for dramatic effect. ;)
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Return to Sci-Tech… and Stuff