Rocket Man

Movies, music, film strips, anime... whatever... share it!

Rocket Man

Postby Thumper » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:03 pm

The new Elton John biopic. To me there were some striking similarities between this and Bohemian Rhapsody. Also some striking differences. Rocket Man is almost a classic musical, which I did not know going in. There are many times when the entire cast breaks out into song and dance. Also, the lead actor sings most of the material. In Rhapsody, most of the singing we heard was actually Mercury.

The members of Queen were technical experts on their movie. Elton John was the executive producer of his. So you can assume that this was the story he wanted to tell. It didn't seem like the music was quite as out front and loud as Rhapsody. But that could have had more to do with us being in a smaller art house style cinema as opposed to a a super dolby digital THX theatre for Rhapsody. Mrs. T absolutely loved it and was pulled in completely. I really liked it but did think it dragged a bit at points. I caught myself checking my watch to see how close we were to the 2 hour mark.

I'd certainly recommend it if you are an Elton fan, or Elton curious. It is yet another story about the sacrifices and often bad choices artists make while chasing a dream; losing then finding themselves.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Re: Rocket Man

Postby geonuc » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:44 pm

I need to get to the theater to see it.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby SciFiFisher » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:49 pm

I am wondering if it would be good to see. Brite is a bit of a musician/fan of music person and she loved the Freddie Mercury movie.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:58 pm

Like I said, it was different in that it was presented as a musical. But we all liked the Freddie movie, and we all liked this one. I bet Brite would as well.
Maybe even you. ;)
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Return to Lights, Camera, Comments