The Colony

Movies, music, film strips, anime... whatever... share it!

The Colony

Postby Rommie » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:02 pm

So just wanted to tip anyone off around here that was looking for an interesting sci-fi drama that's not in the usual vein. I stumbled across it on Netflix a month or two ago when the bf (who watches way more shows than I do) had it on, and I realized this one would be up my alley.

In short, the premise is that the aliens invade by putting up giant walls around the major cities, so nothing can get in or out. So far, so normal. The part that's different though is the creators wanted to focus more on a parallel with occupied France during WW2, and the efforts of the Resistance and the choices people had to make at the time. Ergo, we follow around the family of Sawyer from Lost (who I mean I know has a real name, but you're more likely to know who I mean this way!), and yeah, it's pretty great because it explores a more unique corner of sci-fi.

Unfortunately the rest of the world didn't really get the show (I suspect because most traditional sci-fi alien invasion types don't like this plot angle), so it wraps up after 3 seasons. But yeah, check it out if you want a new show; I'd say after the first episode you'll know if you're interested or not.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Re: The Colony

Postby Thumper » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:23 am

I've heard of it at least. Didn't know it was still "on." If "on" even means anything anymore... :P
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:24 pm

Thumper wrote:I've heard of it at least. Didn't know it was still "on." If "on" even means anything anymore... :P

If you can stream it then it's still on. :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:15 pm

Yeah, that's what I mean.
I was thinking about that last night. I was looking for a Neil Armstrong special to DVR. And I was getting upset that I couldn't find it in the listing and I would miss it. The possibility exists that if I knew the name of the show, and had a better skillset, I might be able to stream it whenever I wanted to. Rather than set it up to DVR and try to get to it before the DVR filled up again....
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby pumpkinpi » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:19 pm

Thumper wrote:Yeah, that's what I mean.
I was thinking about that last night. I was looking for a Neil Armstrong special to DVR. And I was getting upset that I couldn't find it in the listing and I would miss it. The possibility exists that if I knew the name of the show, and had a better skillset, I might be able to stream it whenever I wanted to. Rather than set it up to DVR and try to get to it before the DVR filled up again....

Yeah, but you have to have Netflix AND Hulu AND Amazon Prime AND HBO Go AND CBS All Access AND Audience Network AND NBC whatever its service is, and even then you aren't guaranteed to find everything.

After watching some new music videos on my phone with the kids, I was telling them that in my day, you could only see videos on MTV. And we didn't even have cable, so my only option was to stay up and/or record Friday Night Videos on network TV. Or see them at a friend's house. I'm trying to impart on the kids the value/curse of being able to have access to almost anything, at any time. I tell them when we ordered anything through the mail, it would take 6 weeks if you were lucky!
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby Thumper » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:24 am

But they'll never quite understand...
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Return to Lights, Camera, Comments