Podcasts Lately

Movies, music, film strips, anime... whatever... share it!

Podcasts Lately

Postby Rommie » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:36 pm

Because I asked pumpkinpi this question. I feel like lately I really enjoy asking people what podcasts they listen to as then I listen to an episode or two of it, and often or not learn something about the person who recommended it. ;) Plus you know, yet another to add to the never decreasing queue!

So, with that, podcasts I listen to fairly regularly:

- Pod Save America is probably my most faithful one I listen to. I often don't listen to the full thing because I don't find their interviews super interesting usually at the end, but I do like to check in to what the hell has been going on and as it's run by former Obama speechwriters/ advisers they tend to give good context into how much XYZ matters.

- Radiolab I save for car trips as my husband (!) always enjoys it.

- Planet Money by NPR tends to have fun stuff.

- 99% invisible is a podcast about design and does the most random and interesting topics. Though I do think many of those topics veer into less design, more excuse to talk about X interesting thing.

- Finally, to round off a random one, I recently started Patient Zero by NH Public Radio and it's really excellent and I highly recommend it. It's about the history of Lyme Disease and epidemiology in general and how it works. Seeing as in New England everyone is obsessed with Lyme Disease, not without lack of cause, it's really worth checking out if you think you might be interested at all.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Re: Podcasts Lately

Postby pumpkinpi » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:33 am

The most horrible thing happened to me a couple weeks ago. I opened up my podcast app, and my queue of episodes and list of podcasts had been wiped! :evil:

So I had to go back through and re-subscribe from memory. I figured that if there was one that I didn't think of, it must not have made an impression on me.

So, I'll go through that exercise again.
*Podcasts are the ones I put to the top of my feed when they are released

Stuff You Should Know always comes out on top. Josh and Chuck have such a good rapport, and I'm always impressed at the amount of research they put into their shows.

Family podcasts:
*Terrible, Thanks for Asking--only if you like sad stories
The Longest Shortest Time
Mom and Dad are Fighting

Tech/design:
*Reply All
*99% Invisible (I just love Roman Mars!)
Twenty Thousand Hertz (for sound geeks!)

Storytellers:
How I Built This
Story Collider

Space/science stuff:
Houston, We Have a Podcast
Gravity Assist
Liftoff
Sidedoor
Air/Space
*Science Vs.

News stuff:
The Cut on Tuesdays
The Daily
The Indicator
Planet Money
Reveal (Investigative journalism)

Pop culture:
Switched on Pop (musicology)
Movie Crush
Buffering the Vampire Slayer, a spoiler-free Buffy rewatch. I just found it before the summer, then they took a few months off, so I haven't gotten into the groove. But they are starting my favorite season, the one with Glory. So I look forward to re-experiencing it!

Celebrity podcasts (only if I like the guest)
Dax Shepherd--Armchair Expert
Conan O'Brien Needs a Friend. OMG if you want to laugh, listen to his deep dives with Dana Carvey!

Misc:
Unladylike
Heavyweight

Podcasts from the past, not putting out new episodes:
Serial, seasons 1 and 3
Homecoming
Dr. Death
Believed (this is a tough one, about the Larry Nassar scandal)

Ok, that's what I can think of without my phone nearby! I'll report back later.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby squ1d » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:34 am

I listen to Conan's podcast, and also every week's Piano Puzzler.

Occasionally I binge a random true crime podcast.
squ1d

Postby SciFiFisher » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:38 pm

I don't get much time to listen to music or podcasts. But, I do listen to a podcast occasionally called Uncommon Sense by a guy named Randy Cassingham. https://thisistrue.com/uncommon-sense-podcast/

He also puts out a newsletter called "This is True" which details some of the irrationality of the daily news cycle. Here is a sample from a recent newsletter.

Left Behind: “The Jeep’s older than dirt,” Joe Williams said. “When I bought my new car, I was going to trade it in. The dealer offered $65 for it.” But the 24-year-old Cherokee was still valuable enough for someone to steal. Police were able to find the stolen Jeep idling on a residential street in Portland, Ore. Inside, the thieves had left behind a stuffed bear, tattooing equipment, a cell phone charger, and tools used to break into cars. While cleaning out the Jeep, Williams’ teenage children found a disposable camera they’d forgotten about in the glove box. After developing the film, they found a couple extra pictures that the alleged thieves had taken: a photo of a man driving a car with another man seated next to him, and a selfie of a woman. Williams posted the photos on the NextDoor social networking site. “Anyone recognize these Einsteins?” he asked — and several people did. But he’s not turning over the photos to the police or pursuing the case. He did plan to keep the tattoo equipment, but his wife didn’t want it in the house. “So I left it on the front porch,” he said. “Someone stole it.” (MS/Portland Oregonian) ...It might be that guy with the new Einstein tattoo.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby pumpkinpi » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:52 pm

I can't believe I left off the one that started it all, the podcast before podcasts existed, This American Life!

I started listening in the early 2000's, after a coworker suggested I listen to Car Talk on NPR Saturday mornings. That led to Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, and TAL followed it. By mid 2000's I had a XM Satellite Radio for listening to Tiger baseball games, and it included at TAL archive. I got the portable system, so I would listen to it on a walk or a run. It was amazing to be able to listen to music and baseball away from the car or home

Others I forgot are Hidden Brain and Imagined Life. The latter is great--each episode tells the history of a celebrity without giving away who it is until the end. Sometimes it's been a complete surprise, sometimes I've been able to guess. It's really fun!
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Postby Rommie » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:50 pm

I keep listening to This American Life because when it's good it's REALLY good, but often it's just super boring. I suspect if they had better descriptions I'd have a better idea of if I'd like the episode or not before getting into it.

Oh yeah, and one more I like is called Reveal. Great deep dives into various topics some investigative journalists want to cover.
Rommie

Postby geonuc » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:07 pm

I don't listen to podcasts much anymore but when I did, I liked history. Two of the best were Hardcore History and My History Can Beat Up Your Politics.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:55 pm

So I listened to Car Talk, This American Life, RadioLab, Hidden Brain, Le Show and Wait Wait (among other shows) on NPR. Is that different than a PODCAST? I don't know what a podcast is.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:18 pm

In terms of content and format, those shows are no different from podcasts. But podcasts aren't aired or broadcast - you download or stream them according to your own schedule.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby pumpkinpi » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:21 pm

geonuc wrote:In terms of content and format, those shows are no different from podcasts. But podcasts aren't aired or broadcast - you download or stream them according to your own schedule.

And the shows you listen to on the radio are then streamed as podcast.
pumpkinpi

Postby geonuc » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:23 pm

pumpkinpi wrote:
geonuc wrote:In terms of content and format, those shows are no different from podcasts. But podcasts aren't aired or broadcast - you download or stream them according to your own schedule.

And the shows you listen to on the radio are then streamed as podcast.

Yes, quite so.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby SciFiFisher » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:06 pm

Thumper wrote:So I listened to Car Talk, This American Life, RadioLab, Hidden Brain, Le Show and Wait Wait (among other shows) on NPR. Is that different than a PODCAST? I don't know what a podcast is.

Podcasts are a type of DVR for radio. You can listen to shows and content when it is convenient. A lot of content providers have taken to creating podcasts because it is a way to reach audiences who want to listen while they drive or do other activities. Some podcasts are live-streamed and allow listeners to interact with the hosts.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:29 pm

I'll go back to Fresh Air's site to replay a good episode or have Mrs. T listen to it. But as for streaming apps from my phone, no. I go to websites on the computer and listen/watch. We find interesting stuff on netflix. I've been watching alot of informative videos on Youtube. (Don't tell Sci Fi Chick!) :P
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:13 pm

Hah!

Funny thing is I always do podcasts via my phone. I definitely do a lot more of them once I stopped using Apple's built in app for them because it sucks. I tend to only listen when I'm walking, so if it gives me a reason to go for a long walk during my lunch break then I'd call it a win.

Also, I actually just got asked to be on a podcast, so hope you non podcast people will consider an exception once it gets online. ;) Pretty small one but I thought it could be fun- it's called "The Chase with Daniel Ocho" and he basically interviews people chasing dream jobs in fields where success is difficult (so screenwriters or concert pianists or professional sports, etc). I guess astronomer counts!
Rommie

Postby pumpkinpi » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:52 pm

Rommie wrote:Hah!

Funny thing is I always do podcasts via my phone. I definitely do a lot more of them once I stopped using Apple's built in app for them because it sucks. I tend to only listen when I'm walking, so if it gives me a reason to go for a long walk during my lunch break then I'd call it a win.

Also, I actually just got asked to be on a podcast, so hope you non podcast people will consider an exception once it gets online. ;) Pretty small one but I thought it could be fun- it's called "The Chase with Daniel Ocho" and he basically interviews people chasing dream jobs in fields where success is difficult (so screenwriters or concert pianists or professional sports, etc). I guess astronomer counts!

Subscribed. I'm looking forward to seeing it in my feed!
pumpkinpi

Postby Rommie » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:02 pm

pumpkinpi wrote:
Rommie wrote:Hah!

Subscribed. I'm looking forward to seeing it in my feed!

Ok, dude never responded even though he reached out to me first. So maybe I spoke too soon there.
Rommie

Postby Rommie » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:15 pm

I just agreed to go on this podcast in mid-July: https://www.spreaker.com/show/the-mad-scientist-podcast

I mean the last one never happened, so we'll see if this one pans out! But the guy seems more responsive. :)
Rommie

Postby Rommie » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:17 pm

So, just got off a call with The Mad Scientist Podcast. It was pretty fun! The only really random part was I chose to do the interview outside, so I guess there's a nonzero chance they'll leave edits in where I'm randomly talking about loon chicks. :P

Should be out in a month or two; I can let you guys know if there's interest.
Rommie

Postby SciFiFisher » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:24 pm

Rommie, please let us know when the podcast comes out. :dance:
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby pumpkinpi » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:21 pm

Cool, I'll definitely look for that.

What app do y'all use to listen to podcasts? I use AntennaPod, for reasons I describe below. But it's gotten finicky, even after updates/forced stops/reinstalling. This are the features I like about AP:

--It downloads the latest episode of each podcast I subscribe to, only over wifi if I choose, and adds it to my queue

--I can sort my queue chronologically

--It plays the next episode automatically

--When I finish an episode it automatically deletes it

--I can play up to 2x speed. I usually go with 1.5, unless it's a podcast about music or sound. Or 99% Invisible. I love Roman Mars' voice.

The only thing I have to do manually is sort by date. But that's quick, so I open my queue, sort old to new, and then pick where to start. I'm set, hands free, for the duration of whatever activity I'm in.

Now I have to look through other apps to see which ones have the features I like. It will take some time, which will be annoying, but not insurmountable. I figured I could get a head start by asking for recommendations. I'll look into Spotify (haven't figured out the auto download yet), Stitcher, Google Play. (I think I stopped using that because it didn't advance to the next show automatically). What else is there?

The priorities are downloading automatically so everything new is in my queue and I can listen offline, and playing the next episode automatically. The rest I can work around.
pumpkinpi

Postby Rommie » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:17 pm

I use Overcast. Does all the things you've just described, I think.
Rommie

Postby pumpkinpi » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:24 pm

Rommie wrote:So, just got off a call with The Mad Scientist Podcast. It was pretty fun! The only really random part was I chose to do the interview outside, so I guess there's a nonzero chance they'll leave edits in where I'm randomly talking about loon chicks. :P

Should be out in a month or two; I can let you guys know if there's interest.

I just listened while working on the Jupter Space Stich Along. It was great! I liked how you used relatable comparisons, like how a cell phone on the Moon would be the brightest radio source in the sky.

I have three questions.

1. I liked your basic general description of your work--write a proposal, reduce and analyze the data, and write it up. What does it mean to "reduce" the data? I'm imagining it's going from the raw data to a form you can work with, but I'd love to hear the specific steps.

2. When talking about the size of a neutron star, you said "10 kilometers, I mean 10 miles." Why did you switch? Was it because miles is more accurate, or was it to use the format most listeners are familiar with? I struggle with that at work. If we are recording a narration or writing something in print/on an exhibit, we use the metric system. But when I've got a planetarium full of 3rd graders, I'll tell them how many miles it is to the Moon. I wish we would just switch to the metric system in this country. The worst is when a print source cites both english and metric. (Also, right after that you said something like 1,000 kilometers.) (Also, my computer's auto correct is saying I should spell that "kilometres.")

3. What kids of birds did I hear in the background? :lol:
pumpkinpi

Postby Rommie » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:34 pm

Thank you! :) And link for anyone who missed it so far- https://www.spreaker.com/user/11756523/ ... tte-cendes

1) Reducing data is basically you get a bunch of information off the antennas, but it needs to run through some computer code to look like an image. This involves a lot of calibration (for example getting rid of bright sources nearby) and eliminating things like manmade interference. Mind, I know how to do it but I'm not technical enough to write these pipelines myself.

2) Hah, I guess the switch was because my editors always tell me we unfortunately have to say English units first, metric second. :)

3) Whatever was around the yard that day, I was sitting on the porch! Probably would have sat inside if I knew there would be birds in the podcast. :lol:
Rommie

Postby SciFiFisher » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:21 pm

I really enjoyed the interview. Rommie is a very good speaker and explains things really well.
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Return to Lights, Camera, Comments