Schmigadoon

Movies, music, film strips, anime... whatever... share it!

Schmigadoon

Postby Thumper » Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:29 pm

Schmigadoon is a musical. I hate musicals, but so do the characters in this series. I think it is hilarious, with Cecily Strong and Keegan Michael Key as the lead characters. Unfortunately it's on Apple TV which you have to subscribe to. I guess we have a month or two free so we're trying to watch as many as we can before we have to pay. Thumper says check it out. 8-)
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Re: Schmigadoon

Postby geonuc » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:58 pm

Noted, for when I subscribe to Apple+.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Rommie » Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:19 pm

geonuc wrote:Noted, for when I subscribe to Apple+.

You get one year free if/when you buy a bigger Apple product, like a laptop or iPhone. We luckily haven't had to pay as a result since subscribing ~1.5 years ago.

Frankly though I would consider paying for it just to have a fun time watching The Morning Show, Ted Lasso, and Little America. TMS is frankly the best glimpse into/ discussion of of the MeToo movement I've ever seen (plus it's kinda fun watching Jennifer Anniston and Steve Carrel being horrible people), Ted Lasso is just so damn wholesome it's wonderful (even if you DNGAF about soccer), and Little America is all about different immigrant experience in the USA, and they were pretty much all so beautifully done.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby Rommie » Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:57 pm

Ok, we finally checked it out (shame it's so short at just six episodes a half hour each- could have been a movie!- but guess these sorts of things are just expensive and tough on so many levels.

NGL, I loved it, and think I would have been obsessed had this come out when I was a teenager. Like you, F doesn't even like musicals, but thought this was great (probably helps that we watch things with subtitles, the problem non-native speakers often have with musicals in person is not getting what's going on). Thanks for the recommendation. :)
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:57 pm

8-)
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:03 pm

Sooo, Season 2 has begun! Now set in "Schmicago." So, IDK, I guess we will see if this one can live up to the charm of the first- I totally get why they didn't want to just return to the same world, but I just hope it isn't too disappointing.
Rommie

Postby pumpkinpi » Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:45 pm

I started Schmigadoon this weekend after hearing Cecily Strong on Dana Carvey and David Spade's podcast Fly on the Wall. I got partially into episode 2 but I had to end it early to do something else (who knows what.) I didn't completely pull me in.....I hadn't thought about it again until reading this post. But maybe I'll give it another try.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby Thumper » Wed May 03, 2023 5:32 pm

Interesting, I'll have Mrs. T look for it. I love both of them.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Tue May 09, 2023 3:39 pm

[spoilers ahead]

Finished the second season last night, and frankly I felt it was a disappointment. The first season was fun in a campy kind of way, had a plot line throughout the season, and while there were certainly nods to classic musicals in its elements my husband who didn't know any of them could still follow along and enjoy it. This one... meh. I felt like it was really just some musical theater nerds writing a mash up of their favorite things, where they couldn't miss anything, so instead it was just a weird mash-up of randomness. (Like, spoilers, but I expected the murder trial to be the full arc of the entire thing, Chicago style... then when he gets free in like episode 3 I was pretty wait what, what's gonna happen for the rest of it? and yea it just floundered around.)

Take the example of throwing Hair and the hippies in with Chicago. I know they were written roughly contemporaneously. Do they make any sense at all in the same universe, unless you're really into musical theater? No. Would have made far more sense to save Hair for a season 3 when you can do all the starving artist themed shows like Rent and A Chorus Line in one swoop.

Anyway, my main impression of season 2 was it sucked enough that all I wanted at the end of it was to rewatch the first season. Probably not a good sign. :P
Rommie

Return to Lights, Camera, Comments