A highly opinionated apple review site

Got a joke? Funny story?? Share it! (Cat memes WELCOME!)

A highly opinionated apple review site

Postby lady_*nix » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:37 pm

No, not Apple as in the tech company; apples as in the fruit.

https://applerankings.com

I have to respectfully disagree with the author about McIntosh apples. He's dead on about Red Delicious though IMO.
lady_*nix

Re: A highly opinionated apple review site

Postby Thumper » Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:57 pm

I'll have to find a Swee Tango. Never even heard of them. I have only eaten Honey Crisps for the last 5 years once I discovered them. Although the taste and texture vary widely throughout the year, they are my absolute favorite. Funny, Mrs. T thinks they are very similar to Cosmic Crisp, but this website rates them radically different.

Growing up, all we had was Red Delicious. I thought they were the only apples that exist. I couldn't choke one down now if you paid me. Oh, and I love the brief descriptions of each apple. 8-)
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby pumpkinpi » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:08 pm

Thumper wrote:Growing up, all we had was Red Delicious. I thought they were the only apples that exist. I couldn't choke one down now if you paid me.

Same here. They are just mush. I know we were cash-strapped when I was a kid so maybe those were the only kinds my parents could afford.

In recent months I've found I don't like apples anymore. Even the mild ones are too tart. We get Gala, Pink Lady, Honey Crisp, and others like that. The only ones I've been able to eat are ones we got straight from an orchard last fall. I can't remember what variety they were. Hmm. Maybe I'd enjoy Red Delicious now!

My ability to eat pineapple has degraded too. It stings my throat.

I hate getting old.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby lady_*nix » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:18 pm

I was a Honeycrisp fan for a while but I kind of just got tired of them. Too sweet, too acid, not enough aroma and flavor going on.

I think Macouns are my faves, but they're almost impossible to get in decent condition. McIntosh would be my second, much more reliable, but still iffy and almost never actually crisp. But right now I prefer a mediocre Mac to an exceptional Honeycrisp.

I kinda wish someone would cross a Macoun with a Honeycrisp or such. Or genetically engineer a longer season and some durability into Macouns.

I definitely agree with the reviewer (and everyone else) on Red Delicious though. They taste like cheap candy even when they're fresh and crisp. I absolutely despise them.
lady_*nix

Postby pumpkinpi » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:11 am

pumpkinpi wrote:The only ones I've been able to eat are ones we got straight from an orchard last fall. I can't remember what variety they were.
Turns out they were Swee Tango! I'll have to ship some to you next year.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby SciFiFisher » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:20 am

roll: roll: roll:

https://applerankings.com/fuji-apple-review/

Yet another demon spawn of the Red Delicious (crossed with a Ralls Janet) this gravelly choking hazard named after Fujisaki City has the taste of used sponge water and the consistency of the dirty leftovers it cleaned. This mushy, rough-skinned, Japanese experiment gone awry is perfect for anyone who enjoys the taste of an apple that feels like it’s already been eaten by someone else. True to its heritage, this apple has rough origami-paper like skin and a samurai sword-like stem so sharp it will – quite literally – stab other apples in transit. National pride aside, it is beyond comprehension how this super-hard medieval weapon masquerading as a fruit could become the most popular apple in Japan (and a top 5 apple worldwide).

I think I see the differentiation going on. Apples that are low on the tart scale get no love from this site. Frankly, I tend to prefer apples that are NOT tart. Which means that red delicious and fuji apples are usually what I buy. But, even red delicious sometimes is too tart. The main complaint with them is they tend to be easy to store longer than other apples and they turn mealy once they have been stored for a while.

This is why I usually just stick with bananas.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:38 pm

2 bananas and a honey crisp. That's pretty much my breakfast 25 days a month, every month...
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:00 pm

They may be the "most overhyped apple of all time" but we like cosmic crisp.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:18 pm

I'd try them if I wasn't such a complete and total Honey Crisp fan.
Mrs. T likes them
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Return to Humor