Hot sauce

Can't have a bar without a Grill... So here's where we discuss great (and no so great) food. The good, the bad and the "even the dog won't eat it" mistakes of our culinary attempts...

Hot sauce

Postby vendic » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:07 am

The wife picked up some habanero's a while back and she was expecting to go back and get some more but things never worked out the way so I was left with only a handful of them.
I decided to make some hot sauce with them anyway rather than throw them out.
It was interesting. The whole house was coughing, we had to open doors and windows.
Much hell for the tiniest amount of hot sauce.

I didn't make the sweet sauce I did at the restaurant. I was looking for a more traditional, "mix with anything" sauce, rather than a desert sauce. It's came out ok. I won't rate it more than that. It's reasonably hot though not deadly. I can eat two table spoons with a bowl of beef curry without it being overwhelming. It must have been hot though since I put the pan in the dishwasher and the wife make popcorn in it later and both found the popcorn spicy. Maybe that's where the heat went, along with into the atmosphere?
The flavour has nothing special about it. It tastes like eating a mild habanero. I might have to see if I can tweak it tomorrow.

On a side note, a friend made beef Penang curry (spelling is right, it's not Thai, it's Malaysian from the Island of Penang where she was born).
I have to get the recipe from her. It is sensational. Very dry compared to most curry. It's almost like eating well cooked beef chunks like in a kebab. There is virtually no sauce on it. The flavour is put into the beef by the cooking process. She served it with what was close to a naan bread and she gave us some for home that we had with rice. I can see why she served it with the bread. It just works better that way.

So that's my entertaining day. :)
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Re: Hot sauce

Postby geonuc » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:51 am

It's amazing how chiles can turn a house into a toxic hazard area.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:12 pm

Especially the bathroom. ;)
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby vendic » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:05 pm

Pretty sure I broke something Thumper. I no longer get that effect at all. I've been having hot sauce on everything.
When we went to our friends place everyone was saying her veggie stir fry was sizzling hot and she warned everyone about this sauce that was on the side calling it Zee hot. I had a spoonful straight and couldn't feel the heat. It was an Asian sauce that tasted exactly like one we had at a restaurant when I complained the seafood sechewan wasn't hot. The wife ordered basil chicken that was way hotter. She tasted the sauce and found it to have no heat. I'm wondering if people react differently to some kinds of heat. I've seen people call things "hot" when they were just heavily spiced with non-hot spices. Since we eat very much spiced food, as in not bland, all the time we might not even notice that. Who knows. I'm rambling...

Geonuc, it really did hit the whole house hard. I was coughing badly and that normally doesn't get to me. Also, I'll keep perfecting this sauce for a while till I'm happy to share it or the recipe. Right now it's ho hum on heat and flavour.

Thumper wrote:Home made pepper spray!

It was!
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby Thumper » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:46 pm

Home made pepper spray!
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Swift » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:18 pm

vendic wrote:I didn't make the sweet sauce I did at the restaurant. I was looking for a more traditional, "mix with anything" sauce, rather than a desert sauce.

my bold

Is that because it's as hot as a desert?
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby vendic » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:15 am

Swift wrote:
vendic wrote:I didn't make the sweet sauce I did at the restaurant. I was looking for a more traditional, "mix with anything" sauce, rather than a desert sauce.

my bold

Is that because it's as hot as a desert?

It's mainly my crappy keyboard.
Some letters come out double. Others get missed. it's a pita as I look like I have no idea how to spell, well, even worst than I do.
I could profile my own posts and tell if I wrote them based on the keyboard errors. it's like the left shift key that makes the "i" come out lower case even though I pressed the stupid thing.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby Thumper » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:29 am

Also, how can you quote my post before I posted it? :P
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:17 pm

Thumper wrote:Also, how can you quote my post before I posted it? :P

He's been watching a lot of Doctor Who.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby vendic » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:16 pm

I was wondering how long it would take for people to notice. Apparently not long.
The plan was to do it around the board till someone figured it out.
Oh well, that little game was fast over. lol.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby Thumper » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:21 pm

Sometimes I actually have a little awareness, sometimes.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFi Chick » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:05 am

roll: :rofl:
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby SciFi Chick » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:05 am

vendic wrote:

I was wondering how long it would take for people to notice. Apparently not long.
The plan was to do it around the board till someone figured it out.
Oh well, that little game was fast over. lol.

I haven't had coffee yet, and I noticed it right away. I was having a very serious wtf moment (due to not having coffee). Then, others noticed and it got explained. LOL
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Return to .... And Grill