Clean Meat

Can't have a bar without a Grill... So here's where we discuss great (and no so great) food. The good, the bad and the "even the dog won't eat it" mistakes of our culinary attempts...

Clean Meat

Postby SciFi Chick » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:46 am

This is from NPR and it's about growing meat in a lab.

https://www.npr.org/sections/13.7/2018/ ... t=20180102

Thoughts?
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Re: Clean Meat

Postby geonuc » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:37 pm

Other than the foie gras (which is far from a typical meat product), there's not much in the article about what the 'clean' meat will look and taste like. Will a clean hamburger be distinguishable from a regular one? How about a steak or fried chicken? Without that, it's hard to judge how well it might catch on.

But I applaud the effort. If we can reduce the negative aspects of meat production, that will be a good thing.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Rommie » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:16 pm

I remember reading about this a few years ago when the first lab-grown hamburger was made and eaten. Everyone said it didn't taste like a proper burger as the fat content wasn't there. Early days yet!

My sister is gonna be sad though as she's been saying for awhile that a startup doing lab-grown foie gras would make huge amounts of money. I'm inclined to agree, and think lab grown meat is going to be huge once people figure it out, as so many ethical considerations are no longer an issue, but I'm sure the anti-GMO people won't be fans.

Edit: apparently my sister's thing is lab grown shark fin, not foie gras. Same idea.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby SciFiFisher » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:38 pm

It's going to be difficult to get the average person to accept the product. If it becomes commercially viable and cheaper than the current method of producing meat, eggs, dairy, and etc. the food industry will create a campaign to get people on board. The perfect example of that is margarine. Margarine had a LOT of opposition from the dairy industry. It succeeded anyway because it was commercially viable. It could be produced cheaper than butter. And there was money to be made. The "health benefits" were just part of the publicity campaign to get people to accept margarine over butter.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby grapes » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:42 pm

SciFiFisher wrote:It's going to be difficult to get the average person to accept the product. If it becomes commercially viable and cheaper than the current method of producing meat, eggs, dairy, and etc. the food industry will create a campaign to get people on board. The perfect example of that is margarine. Margarine had a LOT of opposition from the dairy industry. It succeeded anyway because it was commercially viable. It could be produced cheaper than butter. And there was money to be made. The "health benefits" were just part of the publicity campaign to get people to accept margarine over butter.

I dunno, margarine seems like an unfortunate example

Maybe a better one would be nylon instead of silk.
grapes
Resident News Hound

Postby SciFiFisher » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:33 pm

grapes wrote:
SciFiFisher wrote:It's going to be difficult to get the average person to accept the product. If it becomes commercially viable and cheaper than the current method of producing meat, eggs, dairy, and etc. the food industry will create a campaign to get people on board. The perfect example of that is margarine. Margarine had a LOT of opposition from the dairy industry. It succeeded anyway because it was commercially viable. It could be produced cheaper than butter. And there was money to be made. The "health benefits" were just part of the publicity campaign to get people to accept margarine over butter.

Well, there were those unexpected bad health outcomes with the transfats and the hydrogenated fatty acids. But, I was merely talking about getting the public to accept something that was inherently no more dangerous than the product it was replacing when used in moderation.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Swift » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:43 pm

grapes wrote:

I know I'm late to this discussion.

I can't guess which way consumer acceptance will go... I could see it going either way.

On the one hand, I can see a lot of push-back as it being "unnatural". Look at the uproar about GMOs or "processed" foods, whatever the heck that means. I know when I grew "synthetic" gemstones, that those materials never got the same price as "natural" gemstones, even though they were indistinguishable as finished jewelry.

On the other hand, the animal rights people might really like the idea, as a way to get away from harming and killing animals. But they also could go the other way, saying it is making meat eating acceptable, and by making it acceptable, you are encouraging people to be more likely to eat meat (and thus animals). I've had friends whose rule was they didn't eat anything that "knew its mommy" (so fish were OK, but cows weren't) - I never asked them about orphan humans :twisted: .

I have zero ability to guess how humans will react.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby squ1d » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:28 am

For me, it will live or die on its taste and texture. If the taste and/or texture are not good, it will fail. In terms of feeding the poor and the developing world, I don't know.
squ1d

Return to .... And Grill