One of the things I dislike about NPR

OK... no matter what you believe... discuss it here. All beliefs, faiths and religions (and non-religions) allowed. Discuss the meaning of life, death and everything in between... just remember... not everyone believes the way that you do...

One of the things I dislike about NPR

Postby Cyborg Girl » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:50 pm

is that their reporting on religious/supernatural stuff is usually very flabby and credulous. Case in point,

http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2 ... o-miracles

I will note that saying that "science can't explain" a purely physical occurrence is a pretty damn hefty claim. There is a huge difference between "science doesn't explain" (which is, and always will be, true for a lot of things) and "science can't explain" (which is basically a denial of causality). But that's another philosophical debate, and not why I'm moaning about this.

Why I'm moaning about this, is that Mother Teresa was an incompetent, irresponsible jerk.

If she is literally a messenger for God now, we might as well just give up on religion.
Cyborg Girl
Boy Genius

Re: One of the things I dislike about NPR

Postby SciFiFisher » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:18 pm

But it wasn't NPR who claimed science cannot explain the miracles. NPR quoted a doctor who was hired by the Catholic church to find credible evidence that people were or were not spontaneously cured through natural causes. NPR quotes Dr Duffin as saying

"To admit that as a nonbeliever, you don't have to claim that it was a supernatural entity that did it," Duffin says. "You have to admit some humility and accept that there are things that science cannot explain."

That's called journalism by the way. ;)

OTOH Mother Teresa may or may not have been a jerk or a religious nutjob. But, I am not going to form my opinion based on one article from Salon. Especially given the recent number of news stories that turn out to be poorly investigated and with sources that were not credible.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Return to Religion