Madeleine L'Engle knew

So... what are you reading these days? Anything good??

Madeleine L'Engle knew

Postby Cyborg Girl » Fri May 01, 2015 10:45 am

http://www.wsj.com/articles/a-new-wrink ... 429219305/

Madeleine L’Engle, the author of “A Wrinkle in Time,” resisted labels. Her books weren’t for children, she said. They were for people. Devoted to religious study, she bristled when called a Christian writer. And though some of her books had political themes, she wasn’t known to write overtly about politics. That is, until her granddaughter, Charlotte Jones Voiklis, came across an unknown three-page passage that was cut before publication.

In it, Meg has just made a narrow escape from Camazotz. As Meg’s father massages her limbs, which are frozen from a jarring trip through space and time, she asks: “But Father, how did the Black Thing—how did it capture Camazotz?” Her father proceeds to lay out the political philosophy behind the book in much starker terms than are apparent in the final version.

He says that yes, totalitarianism can lead to this kind of evil. (The author calls out examples by name, including Hitler, Mussolini and Khrushchev.) But it can also happen in a democracy that places too much value on security, Mr. Murry says. “Security is a most seductive thing,” he tells his daughter. “I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s the greatest evil there is.”

Welcome to 21st century America...

Actually I can see how this applies to many kinds of security, though - economic security, for instance, or security of social status. Telling people that their security is in danger is a great way to discourage them from doing what's right. And comfortable people tend to get complacent.

(See also: social privilege.)

I'll also note that I loved those books as a kid. (Probably unsurprising, but yeah.)
Cyborg Girl
Boy Genius

Re: Madeleine L'Engle knew

Postby Rommie » Fri May 01, 2015 2:11 pm

A Wrinkle in Time was my favorite book in 5th grade, until I discovered The Golden Compass in 6th grade. I read some of her other stuff, but the religious-ness was a bit weird.

That said, I know enough about the book writing process that the odds of saying a soliloquy from an early draft would've been in the final book is kind of a tall order.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Return to Book Wurms