DraconCon WTF

So... what are you reading these days? Anything good??

DraconCon WTF

Postby Cyborg Girl » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:12 pm

Hey geonuc, you were there, right? What do you make of this?

http://awards.dragoncon.org/winners/

Best Science Fiction Novel

Somewhither: A Tale of the Unwithering Realm by John C. Wright

You know The Iron Dream? The Norman Spinrad story where Hitler emigrates to America, and makes a career writing SF novels? That's basically John C. Wright.

http://americanloons.blogspot.com/2015/ ... right.html

Rather obviously, he is a Sad Puppy/Rabid Puppy/GGer/etc.

I know there are some good writers who are politically nuts (e.g. Orson Scott Card), but Wright seems to make that his whole shtick. He also bloviates like you wouldn't believe in his blog, mostly about the evils of homosexuality and feminist witches and stuff. I haven't attacked any of his fiction yet; but if it's half as overweeningly bombastic as his blogging, then is does not belong in the same sentence as Card.

... And his novel somehow beat out both Ann Leckie and freaking Kim Stanley Robinson.

How in the hell... :|
Cyborg Girl
Boy Genius

Re: DraconCon WTF

Postby SciFi Chick » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:27 am

It's fan driven. Maybe that's why.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Re: DraconCon WTF

Postby geonuc » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:03 am

Yeah, there was some discussion about this on the DC forum. The Awards were new this year and many people didn't vote, including me, because we didn't know about it or forgot. The upshot seems to be that the ballot box was stuffed by the same people that brought us Gamergate and that the voting wasn't restricted to actual DC attendees.

Because this was the first year, I think the folks who run DragonCon (a somewhat shady organization) will tweak the process.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Return to Book Wurms