What Are You Reading?

So... what are you reading these days? Anything good??

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby SciFiFisher » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:36 pm

Thumper wrote:Sounds interesting but somewhat depressing, or scary.

It can be. I think the lessons we can learn from a book like this are valuable. The book presents the logic of using these methods in a fairly pragmatic way. U.S. Presidents and/or Congress have three major approaches to achieve national security. Those are diplomacy, war, and the "hidden hand". That "hidden hand" can be used to influence other countries, organizations, and cultures in a variety of ways. Unfortunately, those ways include methods that are considered to be morally questionable or downright reprehensible. And because that is true the system is set up to create a firewall around the president. That firewall is sometimes referred to as "plausible deniability".

And that is just one aspect the book covers. It also has a number of first-hand accounts from people who ran the operations and those who carried out the missions.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:29 am

pumpkinpi wrote:I'll give you some other recommendations of non-Apollo astronaut biographies to read. There are some great ones.
I'd take some but I think I have about 5 sitting on the shelf that I haven't read yet. I stopped asking for them as gifts but they keep coming in. I know for sure I have John Young, Frank Borman, and Mike Massimino.
pumpkinpi wrote:Part of my problem is that I don't get a lot of time to sit and read, so when I pick it up I don't know if it's actually a new character or one I read about already but I have forgotten about.
I have this issue, I only get to read 5 or 10 minutes at a time separated by 2-4 days. Sometimes I'm a little lost when I pick it back up.
pumpkinpi wrote:The irony is that I have never seen a James Bond movie, and I am making it my life goal never to see one. I don't really have a good reason for that. In my 20's I realized I hadn't seen one yet, so I just decided never to start. I'm sure I would enjoy the movies, but I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything by not watching them. However, based on clips I've seen, I think Sean Connery would be my favorite Bond.
Wow, I remember a time when we would wait for the next bond movie to come out and hit it a the local theatre on Friday night. Unfortunately, those years for me were the Roger Moore years. I agree, Connery is the best Bond.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:52 pm

Daniel Craig is a pretty good Bond. But yeah, Sean Connery.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby geonuc » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:54 pm

I also have the issue of forgetting parts of the book I'm reading. I've taken to bookmarking my spot on my ereader and then doing a search on character names, places, what have you, to refresh my memory. One of the advantages with ereaders.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby geonuc » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:23 pm

I have about ten books I've started and have not finished yet. For some reason, I'm loathe to just give up on them. Here are two:

After the Ice: A Global Human History, 20,000-5000 BC

Self-explanatory title and something I've been interested in. But damn, it's long and in fact, humans didn't do a whole lot of interesting stuff ten thousand years ago, much less twenty.

The Transcontinental Railroad

I like history, so I figured I'd like this one. Not so much. I think maybe the reason is that the author can't seem to focus on the important stuff - or at least the important people. According to him, about a couple of dozen people were the most influential advocates, proponents and doers in the effort to get a railroad built. I'm continually thinking "Wait, I thought that other guy was the important guy here". One interesting thing I did learn was that, while the idea to build a railroad had been bounced around a long while, it wasn't until President Lincoln was in office that it got going for real. In other words, while the Civil War was raging, a significant part of the US industry got busy building a railroad. And Congress was passing bills to support it. Hard to imagine given the national turmoil during that war. In any case, I'll probably pick this one up again.
Last edited by geonuc on Thu May 18, 2023 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:07 pm

I guess I'm lucky. Recently, there's only been one book I've put down. It's a really thick self help book I've borrowed from my counselor. I picked up some interesting ideas and some strategies. But it's full of exercises and instructions. It involves creating tables and charts and doing alot of journaling. I thought I could skip the exercises and just read the content. But it keeps saying if you skip the exercises, they're the most important part. So I just put the whole book down.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby code monkey » Fri May 01, 2020 4:18 am

I've just finished the library book(that's the title, wise guy.) by susan orlean. wonderful book but then she's a terrific writer(the orchid thief, the bullfighter checks her makeup...)

she uses the fire that did great damage to the los angeles central library as a jumping off point to talk about libraries, book burning, her love of books ...
and still i persist in wondering whether folly must always be our nemesis. edgar pangborn

come gentle night. come loving black browed night
give me my romeo. and when he shall die
take him and cut him out in little stars
and he will make the face of heaven so fine
that all will be in love with night
and pay no worship to the garish sun. william shakespeare
code monkey

Postby pumpkinpi » Fri May 01, 2020 1:24 pm

code monkey wrote:I've just finished the library book(that's the title, wise guy.) by susan orlean. wonderful book but then she's a terrific writer(the orchid thief, the bullfighter checks her makeup...)

she uses the fire that did great damage to the los angeles central library as a jumping off point to talk about libraries, book burning, her love of books ...

Sounds interesting! Whenever I hear of a good book I download a sample in Google Books to preview, then decide if I want to buy it (digital or physical) or look for it at the library. I'll check it out.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby Rommie » Fri May 01, 2020 3:40 pm

I miss the physical library. :( But on the bright side, I keep joking that I've been preparing for this quarantine all my life via collecting random books at secondhand sales and from Little Free Libraries.

My weird thing about quarantine is I am totally reading more books at once than I normally am- I'm sure a psychologist can suggest why. So far my two books I finished that felt really in tune with quarantine life were Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks (about Plague in the 1600s in an English village, so make me feel way better about our current woes) and Icebound, which was the memoir by the doctor at the South Pole in Antarctica who had breast cancer while down there in the late 90s. It was just so interesting to read the second in terms of how it's one of the most isolated places on the planet, yet they were still WAY more social than we are right now!

Otherwise I'm working through two great books- The Price of Paradise about life in Cuba after WWII, and 11/23/69 by Stephen King. There's always some random true crime/ memoir on deck, and I'm about halfway through Little Women- I kind of lost speed on it once it became the second volume, but we live like 15min from Alcott's house which is now a museum so I'm hoping to finish it by the time this is all over so we can visit it.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri May 01, 2020 5:27 pm

Reading a variety of Science Fiction. And reading a book called "How to think like a rocket scientist".
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Rommie » Fri May 01, 2020 5:38 pm

Any good sci-fi? I'm on the lookout. My PhD adviser in Toronto was obsessed so I got so many good recommendations from him, but now that I'm no longer there it's been more difficult! :lol:
Rommie

Postby geonuc » Sun May 03, 2020 2:34 pm

Rommie wrote:Any good sci-fi? I'm on the lookout. My PhD adviser in Toronto was obsessed so I got so many good recommendations from him, but now that I'm no longer there it's been more difficult! :lol:

The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet, Becky Chambers.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby SciFiFisher » Mon May 04, 2020 3:59 pm

Rommie wrote:Any good sci-fi? I'm on the lookout. My PhD adviser in Toronto was obsessed so I got so many good recommendations from him, but now that I'm no longer there it's been more difficult! :lol:

Good is such a relative term. :lol:

Have you discovered Niel Gaiman? He wrote American Gods.

I almost always recommend Isaac Asimov to anyone who wants "real" science fiction. He wrote some murder mysteries involving a human detective and robot detective. Elijah Bailey / R. Daneel Olivaw I highly recommend those if you have not read them.

If you are into science fiction with humor and lots of just plain fun Lois McMaster wrote a series called the Vorkosigan Saga that pokes fun at military SF.

And if you have not I encourage you to read the Dragon Riders of Pern series.
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby code monkey » Mon May 04, 2020 4:47 pm

ok, science fiction fans. I have a challenge for you!

i'm trying to find a short story that I read several years ago. it was published well before that. (golden age or somewhat after. think Asimov, Heinlein, simak, silvergerg …) an alien is waiting for a creature that he is responsible for to be released from exile. (the creature was exiled for having committed 'unspeakable acts'). it ends with the alien having encountered a human and saying to the human something along the lines of 'oh! so you have creatures(beings?) who depend on you!'

I cannot remember anything of the title or author. I have a vague feeling that the story had something of the feeling of 'waystation' but nothing has turned up. this is driving me up a wall. I know that, were Michael here, he'd have the title and author in next to no time and then would pull a book that contained it from the shelf.

help!
and still i persist in wondering whether folly must always be our nemesis. edgar pangborn

code monkey

Postby lady_*nix » Mon May 04, 2020 5:00 pm

@Rommie

I thought Provenance by Ann Leckie was very underrated, especially the political aspects. (I just love her Ancillary universe though.)

Also liked The Tea Master and the Detective by Aliette de Bodard, which is a bit like if Philip K. Dick wrote a Sherlock Holmes novella in a Vietnamese space empire.

ATM I'm reading Kameron Hurley's story collection Apocalypse Nyx which I kind of highly recommend for people who liked Firefly TBH? Very different worldbuilding, but kind of a similar narrative feel and character dynamics. Also Nyx's home country is a matriarchal biopunk dystopia, where "magic" is done by telepaths controlling genetically modified insects. It's weird as hell and I love it.

@code monkey

No idea, sorry :( Never read anything like that. At a glance it looks like the sort of thing I might expect from Keith Laumer in his better moments?
lady_*nix

Postby Thumper » Tue May 19, 2020 4:23 am

I took a break from Astronaut biographies to read Pale Blue Dot by Sagan. For whatever reason, never read it before. Loving it. But just received a dual biography by Astronaut Dave Scott and Cosmonaut Alexei Leonov. Really looking forward to that.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby code monkey » Thu May 21, 2020 6:55 pm

mrs Lincoln's dressmaker.

once I finish that i'll be reading 'the fire is upon us - James baldwin, William f buckley, jr and the debate over race in america'. the author's nick Buccola who was Elliot's advisor.

code monkey

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri May 22, 2020 8:55 pm

code monkey wrote:mrs Lincoln's dressmaker.

once I finish that i'll be reading 'the fire is upon us - James baldwin, William f buckley, jr and the debate over race in america'. the author's nick Buccola who was Elliot's advisor.

That sounds interesting.
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby code monkey » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:03 pm

SciFiFisher wrote:

That sounds interesting.

they both are. and William f. buckley was even more awful than I remembered.

code monkey

Postby code monkey » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:01 pm

SciFiFisher wrote:

That sounds interesting.

William f just keeps getting worse.

code monkey

Postby code monkey » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:20 pm

and now onto the gossip from thrush green. the author is miss read. a pleasant stroll through an English village where life just rolls along and, while a few people are less than nice, nobody seems to ever lose his/her temper. the most controversy (so far) involves an older woman with no housekeeping skills whatsoever and numerous animals in and around her house who wishes to adopt a child.

code monkey

Postby Rommie » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:41 pm

I'm definitely using this year as an excuse to work on some bigger books. Right now I'm working through The Three Body Problem by Liu Cixin, because I keep getting asked if I've read it and have colleagues who loved it. It's definitely good so far- I always love sci-fi writers who actually know their science and this one definitely does.
Rommie

Postby lady_*nix » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:11 pm

Daylight reading: Apocalypse Nyx by Kameron Hurley, Meanwhile, Elsewhere by too many people to count

Bedtime reading: too fucking many Phryne Fisher mysteries (yes yes I know, they're trash, I make no apologies)

Audiobook: The New Jim Crow. I didn't want to hop on the audiobook bandwagon, but I've found the spoken format helps a lot with really intense/factual stuff, and I'd been putting off for way too long... So, whatever works. Wish Amazon would make audiobooks available as simple MP3s instead of needing a streaming service. C'est la vie.
lady_*nix

Postby Thumper » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:44 am

Still on Pale Blue Dot, but also got a biography of of a US naval pilot credited with winning the battle of Midway. I either need to find more time to read or learn to read faster.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby code monkey » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:44 pm

lady_*nix wrote:
I thought Provenance by Ann Leckie was very underrated, especially the political aspects. (I just love her Ancillary universe though.)
Also liked The Tea Master and the Detective by Aliette de Bodard, which is a bit like if Philip K. Dick wrote a Sherlock Holmes novella in a Vietnamese space empire.

I've just ordered book 1 in the ancillary series based on your statement. couldn't find the aliette de bodard but will keep an eye out for it. it sounds fascinating.

code monkey

PreviousNext

Return to Book Wurms