What Are You Reading?

So... what are you reading these days? Anything good??

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby vendic » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:09 pm

You know I was joking about wiring being racist, right? :P
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby SciFiFisher » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:23 am

vendic wrote:You know I was joking about wiring being racist, right? :P

I may have suspected it. But, you forget. I am just as likely to respond in a literal sense when people make comments like that. Or as Brite often says to me "I asked you what time it was. Not how to build the clock" :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Parrothead » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:15 pm

I have finally found time to finish reading Ruler of the Night by David Morrell. It was the final installment of his "opium-eater" trilogy. Historical fiction set in 1850's England, using Thomas de Quincey as a main character. In the acknowledgements at the end, Morrell points out, De Quincey mentioned in his Confessions of an English Opium-Eater, how he never gave up searching for two women from his past, wanting to know what became of them, but never finding out. In this final part of the trilogy, Morrell included a storyline, where his fictional De Quincey did find an answer.

I bought a copy of Legacy by Greg Bear, a month or so ago. I have chosen to re-read his works Eon and Eternity before reading Legacy, the publication order of the novels. Legacy was written as a prequel. I'm currently around the 200 page mark of Eon, the Russians are commencing an invasion of "The Stone" which has appeared in orbit around the Earth and Moon. I last read Eon and Eternity in the mid-late 80's and have found I don't remember much. I recall starting a re-read around the time the CG Society held a challenge, asking for images and movie trailers inspired by Eon, to be created in a contest. I got side-tracked and did not re-read at the time, 10 - 15 years ago.
Parrothead

Postby Parrothead » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:44 pm

I should finish Eon, today or tomorrow. I have enjoyed the read and will then get started on Eternity.

I have also taken the time to read Snow Treasure, by Marie McSwigan . A children's book about kids hiding gold bullion on their sleds and sneaking it past nazi soldiers, so it could be shipped out of Norway. This story like Banner In The Sky is one that has stuck in my mind, from my youth.

ETA: I also remember An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge, turns out the Twilight Zone episode based on this story will be airing tonight, I'll remember to record it for later viewing.
Parrothead

Postby pumpkinpi » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:56 pm

Parrothead wrote:
ETA: I also remember An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge, turns out the Twilight Zone episode based on this story will be airing tonight, I'll remember to record it for later viewing.

That is one of my favorite stories!
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby Cyborg Girl » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:51 am

Oldies but goodies:

https://www.goodreads.com/series/84965

My dad has a ratty copy of "Passing for Human"... The satire went right over my head when I read it in my early teens. On reread it was an absolute gas though. Star Trek meets James Bond with immortal hippie space whales, 5/5 stars, would highly recommend.
Cyborg Girl
Boy Genius

Postby Parrothead » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:24 pm

pumpkinpi wrote:
Parrothead wrote:

Turns out the Twilight Zone episode was a French short film. It won some awards, too. I enjoyed it. I've heard a couple of radio dramatisations of the story, too.
Parrothead

Postby Thumper » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:19 pm

Parrothead wrote:
pumpkinpi wrote:
Parrothead wrote:

Turns out the Twilight Zone episode was a French short film. It won some awards, too. I enjoyed it. I've heard a couple of radio dramatisations of the story, too.
When you mentioned it above, I looked it up, then watched it on Youtube. Very interesting. A European artsie look at the American Civil War. They actually bought the rights to the movie and just presented it as a Twilight Zone episode. Rod Serling introduced it as such when it originally aired.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Cyborg Girl » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:17 pm

Bleh. Passing for Human was solid 5 stars, but the sequel is getting on my nerves... It delves a bit too far into The Secret style mysticism and victim blaming, IMO. Gonna see if there's a reveal towards the end, but I'm starting to have ugly expectations.
Cyborg Girl
Boy Genius

Postby code monkey » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:57 pm

born a crime. trevor noah's book about growing up in south Africa during the days of apartheid. by turns infuriating and funny. it's had me laughing out loud, close to tears and clenching my fists. hard to put down.
and still i persist in wondering whether folly must always be our nemesis. edgar pangborn

come gentle night. come loving black browed night
give me my romeo. and when he shall die
take him and cut him out in little stars
and he will make the face of heaven so fine
that all will be in love with night
and pay no worship to the garish sun. william shakespeare
code monkey

Postby Thumper » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:50 am

code monkey wrote:born a crime. trevor noah's book about growing up in south Africa during the days of apartheid. by turns infuriating and funny. it's had me laughing out loud, close to tears and clenching my fists. hard to put down.
I heard a couple nice interviews with him talking about the book. Terrie's Fresh Air episode was quite good.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby code monkey » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:46 am

I've just started al franken's 'giant of the senate'. I've not gotten very far into it (work!) but so far, so good.
and still i persist in wondering whether folly must always be our nemesis. edgar pangborn

code monkey

Postby Rommie » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:02 pm

code monkey wrote:born a crime. trevor noah's book about growing up in south Africa during the days of apartheid. by turns infuriating and funny. it's had me laughing out loud, close to tears and clenching my fists. hard to put down.

I heard the audio book of this while road tripping a few months ago. It was great because I feel these days all comedians need a flippant book on their lives, but his was actually serious and thoughtful in its commentary about South Africa and his life.

So I mean, funny parts for sure, but without giving away the ending the last line of it had me in tears because it was so touching.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby Rommie » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:14 pm

I've been reading a lot of what I'm calling "societal science fiction" lately. No real reason beyond my adviser reads a LOT of sci-fi and is interested in this sort of stuff, and he makes them sound so interesting I've been reading up on it too.

The Power. Wow, I feel like this would be a popular book around here (though it's not released yet in Canada- not sure about the USA). Basically all of a sudden one day all women gain the ability to send electric shocks through their fingertips and become dominant over men in terms of power, so how does society change? (Hint: not all women are nice when they are more powerful.)

Underground Airlines I read this one because I heard the GoT guys were going to do an alternate reality where the Confederacy won the Civil War, and everyone agrees they're likely going to butcher it, but this was suggested as a book where they actually do it right. And they do- in this book slavery still exists bc there was no Civil War (Lincoln was assassinated on his way to Washington DC), and bringing slavery into the modern era is really fucking disturbing at many points... but I also liked it because even life in the north, where people are allegedly more enlightened, are actually far more racist, etc. Oh, and the narrator was an escaped slave now slavecatcher. Really interesting read.

American War In the middle of this one, it takes place at the end of the century when global warming has taken place and the US outlaws all use of fossil fuels, and the South secedes over their right to use it and so there's a second Civil War. I find it interesting but I feel like sometimes my suspension of disbelief is tested in what's going to happen just 60 years from now.

Finally, nothing to do with the above theme, but frankly one of the best sci-fi reads lately I've read was All Our Wrong Todays. Time travel with alternate futures and the like, but what if our future is the dystopian one where things don't work out right? Really humorous and engaging, AND it takes place in Toronto!
Rommie

Postby Cyborg Girl » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:41 pm

Rommie wrote:The Power. Wow, I feel like this would be a popular book around here (though it's not released yet in Canada- not sure about the USA). Basically all of a sudden one day all women gain the ability to send electric shocks through their fingertips and become dominant over men in terms of power, so how does society change? (Hint: not all women are nice when they are more powerful.)

Glad you're enjoying it! And yeah, I kind of wish the book had existed when I was 16 or so. Though I suspect it might have gone over my head (as did Octavia Butler and Joanna Russ and friends).
Cyborg Girl
Boy Genius

Postby Thumper » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:44 am

I finally finished Neil Peart's "Far and Near," the third in his series and so far his latest book. I'm always a little melancholy when I finish a book. This time more so, it's the last book my sister ever gave me. I tried to console myself by starting Col. Chris Hadfield's, "An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth."
It'll be good. I'm still melancholy.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby code monkey » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:35 am

foggy mountain breakdown by sharyn mccrumb. it's a collection of her short stories, mostly Appalachian ones although I believe that there are also a few science fiction ones included. another one I can't put down. I usually have2 or 3 books going at once. not this time.

code monkey

Postby Thumper » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:27 pm

And here I thought it was a banjo song.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby code monkey » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:45 am

Thumper wrote:And here I thought it was a banjo song.

so many people do.

but wait - we're both right!

code monkey

Postby code monkey » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:37 am

now i'm reading the apothecary rose by Candace robb, a mystery set in medieval England

and
while i'm gone. after the funeral of his wife a man begins to find letters from her.

code monkey

Postby Rommie » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:55 am

Oryx and Crake here. Reread. I never get people who don’t reread books and are shocked to hear that’s what I’m up to.
Rommie

Postby geonuc » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:18 pm

I reread - it's one of the benefits of a poor memory.

At present, I'm reading The Spy Who Came In From the Cold.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Cyborg Girl » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:43 pm

Maplecroft: The Borden Files (by Cherie Priest)

Priest is better known for steampunk, and the blurb makes the book sound snarky and punk-ish, but it's actually pretty straight Lovecraftian horror. And creepy, at that.
Cyborg Girl
Boy Genius

Postby code monkey » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:10 am

code monkey wrote:now i'm reading the apothecary rose by Candace robb, a mystery set in medieval England

and
while i'm gone. after the funeral of his wife a man begins to find letters from her.

ok, that's when i'm gone. which ended up disappointing. in the last third we suddenly are confronted by plot lines involving the next door neighbor (will he or won't he make a pass? what about the abusive husband?) and suspected adultery. the apothecary rosr is bearing up.

code monkey

Postby Thumper » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:14 pm

Thumper wrote:I finally finished Neil Peart's "Far and Near," the third in his series and so far his latest book. I'm always a little melancholy when I finish a book. This time more so, it's the last book my sister ever gave me. I tried to console myself by starting Col. Chris Hadfield's, "An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth."
It'll be good. I'm still melancholy.

Almost finished with Hadfield's book. It was a little slow for me in the beginning but I've really enjoyed the second half. He has a way of describing the differences and difficulties of doing even mundane tasks in space. And he has a can do attitude where it's always about the success of the mission and the team. Good advice to heed.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

PreviousNext

Return to Book Wurms