FWIS loses Noble Prize-winning literature

Founded by our beloved Mike Alexander, we will attempt to keep standards high in reporting the snooze as it happens...

Postby grapes » Wed May 29, 2013 8:13 pm

The Nobel Prize committee were chuffed when they discovered that their choice for the Nobel Prize in Literature was a no-show. "We thought we had it all arranged," said a spokesperson, "we called at 4:30am EST as we always do, and the laureate replied to our congratulations with 'splendid! I'll be there!' " The only thing that showed was an extremely long stretch limo with California license plates, driven by a black and white bull terrier smoking a briar pipe. No one else was inside.

The prize situation was thrown into even more turmoil when it was discovered that the basis of the prize was lost in a classic disk backup mixup involving an entity known only as FWIS. Thousands of precious gem-like tranche de merde pieces were seemingly lost forever in the chaos. "We have no artist, and no art," said the spokesperson, "what is the point of going on?" Regardless, after further introspection, the committee has apparently decided to award the prize to a trio of net-loons who have created an entire alternative reality, based upon cellular automata and the vilification of einsteinian physics.
grapes
Resident News Hound

Re: FWIS loses Noble Prize-winning literature

Postby Swift » Wed May 29, 2013 9:12 pm

I see grapes found his way back.

Hide the good dishes. :twisted:
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

News of the World

Postby grapes » Thu May 30, 2013 12:54 am

DRONES V. DRONES, Obama declares war on journalists

FDA FINDS NON-GMO WHEAT, Small patch found in SE Oregon could threaten world economy

DRIVER GUILTY OF DWI&F, Passenger ejacted from vehicle on impact

MICHELE BACHMANN WON'T TAKE THE FIFTH, Revealing tell-all memoirs starts bidding war

ZUCKERBERG UN-LIKES NASDAQ, Penalty is considered ten times worse than fine

COOKING: VEAL CICADA; New ways to serve ricin; and other delicacies
grapes
Resident News Hound

Postby SciFi Chick » Thu May 30, 2013 5:24 am

grapes wrote:FWIS loses Noble Prize-winning literature

The Nobel Prize committee were chuffed when they discovered that their choice for the Nobel Prize in Literature was a no-show. "We thought we had it all arranged," said a spokesperson, "we called at 4:30am EST as we always do, and the laureate replied to our congratulations with 'splendid! I'll be there!' " The only thing that showed was an extremely long stretch limo with California license plates, driven by a black and white bull terrier smoking a briar pipe. No one else was inside.

The prize situation was thrown into even more turmoil when it was discovered that the basis of the prize was lost in a classic disk backup mixup involving an entity known only as FWIS. Thousands of precious gem-like tranche de merde pieces were seemingly lost forever in the chaos. "We have no artist, and no art," said the spokesperson, "what is the point of going on?" Regardless, after further introspection, the committee has apparently decided to award the prize to a trio of net-loons who have created an entire alternative reality, based upon cellular automata and the vilification of einsteinian physics.

I thought XOF was meant to make us laugh. Instead, you've made me cry. Bravo!
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby grapes » Thu May 30, 2013 1:32 pm

In point of fact, XOF often made me laugh until I cried, so there's that precedent at least.

Most meteors you catch out of the corner of your eye as they zip across the sky. It is rare thing to be looking right at it even before it appears, and you can watch its entire arc as it grows immensely bright and then fades to nothing, leaving you with an incredible memory. Stunning.
grapes
Resident News Hound

Postby SciFi Chick » Fri May 31, 2013 7:49 am

grapes wrote:Most meteors you catch out of the corner of your eye as they zip across the sky. It is rare thing to be looking right at it even before it appears, and you can watch its entire arc as it grows immensely bright and then fades to nothing, leaving you with an incredible memory. Stunning.

So is this quote.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Return to XOF News