Atlanta

We all need to hear it... here's the place to share it...

Atlanta

Postby Thumper » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:25 pm

The Kid was selected to attend the Student Diversity Leadership Conference in Atlanta this week. She flies down this afternoon and returns Saturday evening. It will be only the second time she has flown "alone" although she is actually going down with a few of her classmates and 3 members of her school's faculty and staff. I've perused the groups website but haven't gotten in depth of exactly what they'll be doing. The workshops center on social justice, interpersonal relationships, and fostering communication skills. I know she had to apply to go to this and she is very excited about going.

She has gotten many great opportunities at her school and most conclude in the letter to Mrs. T and I, "Your account will be billed." So be it. But this time between the organization itself and her school, this trip is all expenses paid!
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Re: Atlanta

Postby SciFiFisher » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:42 pm

:cheer: Awesome opportunity for the kid. It is a good thing that she is getting to see that the world is bigger than her little corner of it.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby SciFi Chick » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:16 pm

The words "all expenses paid" give me warm fuzzies, no matter who they're for. :D
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Thumper » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:59 pm

Yeah, that's nice. As a bonus (for me), she was laying out her stuff to pack. Her and Mrs. T had stopped on the way home to pick up some items and snacks. I had as well. And I set them next to her suitcase. She stops and says, "I am so loved."

If I'd have known that a bag of Gummi Sour Octopi was all it took to get a positive response from her, I'd have done it years ago. :P
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFi Chick » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:45 pm

It's all about timing. :D
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby geonuc » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:02 pm

She'll be at the Georgia World Congress Center, which is downtown. Nearby are CNN and the Georgia Aquarium if she wants some extracurricular activities.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:40 pm

She actually visited that area as a toddler. Mrs. T's conference was there at the convention center. The Kid and I flew down later for a long weekend. We stayed at the CNN Omni. I remember we made it across the way to a children's museum, and on the last night, we all went to Disney on Ice, (Monsters Inc. version). Her favorite parts were swimming in the hotel pool and hanging out in empty conference rooms pretending to hold sessions, "like Mommy."

I looked at the conference program and it is insane. They're busy from 7:00am-10:00pm today and tomorrow. Most adult conference attendees I've witnessed would revolt and burn the place down with hours like that. I'm hoping they've built in some chill time during the days. But I don't think there will be much allowance for off site activities.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:00 pm

Thumper wrote:She actually visited that area as a toddler. Mrs. T's conference was there at the convention center. The Kid and I flew down later for a long weekend. We stayed at the CNN Omni. I remember we made it across the way to a children's museum, and on the last night, we all went to Disney on Ice, (Monsters Inc. version). Her favorite parts were swimming in the hotel pool and hanging out in empty conference rooms pretending to hold sessions, "like Mommy."

I looked at the conference program and it is insane. They're busy from 7:00am-10:00pm today and tomorrow. Most adult conference attendees I've witnessed would revolt and burn the place down with hours like that. I'm hoping they've built in some chill time during the days. But I don't think there will be much allowance for off site activities.

You deliberately over-stuff programs when teenagers are involved for good reason, especially when there are overnights involved. Believe me, I know! :?
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:10 pm

I was kind of thinking that. They have sessions that go to dinner, conference dinner activities, then conference after dinner workshops. Then released to their chaperones at 10:00, hotel curfew 11:00 tonight, midnight tomorrow.

Keep 'em busy, keep 'em tired, keep 'em corralled in the same place...
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:24 pm

Yeah. I remember in astronomy camp one of our reviews last year said "the counselors should let us sleep more." How about no. :P

The funny thing btw is despite that schedule I guarantee you they'll still be up to 1am at least!
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:25 pm

Rommie wrote:The funny thing btw is despite that schedule I guarantee you they'll still be up to 1am at least!

That's a normal bed time for The Kid. She's often up later than me.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Swift » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:09 pm

Thumper wrote:As a bonus (for me), she was laying out her stuff to pack. Her and Mrs. T had stopped on the way home to pick up some items and snacks. I had as well. And I set them next to her suitcase. She stops and says, "I am so loved."

Yes she is. And dad has ever right to be very proud.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby Thumper » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:44 pm

8-)
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby code monkey » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:10 am

what wonderful news!! you and mrs t should be very proud - of your daughter and of yourselves!
and still i persist in wondering whether folly must always be our nemesis. edgar pangborn

come gentle night. come loving black browed night
give me my romeo. and when he shall die
take him and cut him out in little stars
and he will make the face of heaven so fine
that all will be in love with night
and pay no worship to the garish sun. william shakespeare
code monkey

Postby Thumper » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:32 pm

We picked her up Saturday night at the airport and she didn't stop talking for about 2 hours.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Return to Good News