Colleges

We all need to hear it... here's the place to share it...

Re: Colleges

Postby geonuc » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:37 pm

If any random kid were to ask my advice on college, all other things such as cost and academics equal, I'd say go to a school far away from where you grew up. Not to get away from the 'rents, but to immerse yourself in a different environment.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:24 am

I respect that advice. And I do see her as an explorer and wanting to diversify her experiences. It is my belief and hope that she'll still be able to do that, even though she'll be going to school here.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:34 pm

geonuc wrote:If any random kid were to ask my advice on college, all other things such as cost and academics equal, I'd say go to a school far away from where you grew up. Not to get away from the 'rents, but to immerse yourself in a different environment.

That's what study abroad is for. :)

No really, I also agree and am obviously a fan of going out to see a bit of the rest of the world. Remembering me at 18 though, I don't think it would have been the best choice for me to go to college in California though or similar where I could only go home on the major breaks.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby geonuc » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:31 pm

Rommie wrote:
geonuc wrote:If any random kid were to ask my advice on college, all other things such as cost and academics equal, I'd say go to a school far away from where you grew up. Not to get away from the 'rents, but to immerse yourself in a different environment.

That's what study abroad is for. :)

No really, I also agree and am obviously a fan of going out to see a bit of the rest of the world. Remembering me at 18 though, I don't think it would have been the best choice for me to go to college in California though or similar where I could only go home on the major breaks.

Well, frankly, your agreement on this is a given, Ms World Traveler.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby vendic » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:52 pm

I still remember Rommie at 16!
Now she's all growed up an stuff.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby Thumper » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:52 pm

So even though senior year is winding down, she doesn't have any finals, and senioritis appears to be in full swing...She, along with the drama club prepare to put on what will be her final musical performance, The Drowsy Chaperone. I'd never heard of it, but it looks funny and her school always puts on a good production. Two weeks ago was the final concert band performance where The Kid was awarded the John Phillips Sousa Award. Last Friday was the final Jazz Band performance and she was given the Louis Armstrong award. Aside from telling the crowd how much she loved The Kid, I think my favorite comment from the band director was, "Even though we only have one senior on the Jazz Band this season, trust me, they were not lacking in senior leadership. This young band will be much better for it next year."
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:53 pm

Great for her- congrats! :cheer:

Saw the Drowsy Chaperone a few years ago- pretty lighthearted and should be fun. :)
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:37 am

They put on Les Mis last year and they did a great job, but everyone was ready for something lighter this year.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:34 pm

This definitely fits that definition then. :) Enjoy!
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Wed May 03, 2017 7:12 pm

Rommie wrote:Saw the Drowsy Chaperone a few years ago- pretty lighthearted and should be fun. :)
We enjoyed every second of the show (twice). It was hilarious, the troupe was brilliant. It was superbly well done.

The Kid was Trix the Aviatrix, BTW.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Previous

Return to Good News