Back in a Honda

We all need to hear it... here's the place to share it...

Back in a Honda

Postby Thumper » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:25 pm

I put this in Good News because it appears we don't have a "Pop In" thread anymore where I can post random silly stuff. After a two year hiatus, I am now, once again, the proud owner of a Honda automobile. After 8 months of opening estates, getting court ordered assignments, letters of appointment, and title transfers, I own my sister's '06 Civic. It's the car she literally drove the wheels off back and forth from Cincy to Cbus, visiting The Kid, attending one of her many musical, vocal, theatrical, and sporting performances, or whisking her away on a fun Aunt-Niece weekend. I have joked with The Kid that I now have a car for her once she bothers to learn how to drive stick. My sister, like me, never owned an automatic transmission.

I married a Honda 31 years ago and we've had at least one in the stable until I sold off the CR-V a while back. Daily driver is currently an Outback. I'm warming up to it. Luckily, I've never been completely sans Honda as I have a Honda powered scavenge water pump, pressure washer, and all important generator.

I'd like to replace Mrs. T's Nissan with an Acura. But I'm also considering a Lexus. Since I can't afford either, I guess we'll continue to run the Nissan into the ground. (And I'll continue laying on same, underneath said Nissan, repairing it.)
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Re: Back in a Honda

Postby geonuc » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:33 pm

Can't go wrong with a Honda, or an Acura. Still miss my Acura TSX (totaled a few years ago).
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:32 pm

I was hoping for a TSX when she came home with the Nissan a few years back.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:41 pm

You might want to give Hyundai a look. They have come a long way from the cheap Korean import they used to be in the 90's. And they tend to be several thousand dollars less than Honda for similar models. The Hyundai Santa Fe compares well to other SUV models at Consumer Reports.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:50 pm

Yeah, my in laws have had Hyundais and Kias. Unfortunately they've mostly been POS's in part because they bought used someone else's problems. I think she currently drives a Santa Fe. Those and the newer Tucson's look nice. Neighbor kid drives a new Optima which he loves. I tease his dad that his son drives a better car than him. :P
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:53 pm

Thumper wrote:Yeah, my in laws have had Hyundais and Kias. Unfortunately they've mostly been POS's in part because they bought used someone else's problems. I think she currently drives a Santa Fe. Those and the newer Tucson's look nice. Neighbor kid drives a new Optima which he loves. I tease his dad that his son drives a better car than him. :P

Yes. Buying other people's deferred maintainence is always dicey. Which is why I have almost never bought a car from a private party. I usually have bought the dealer refurbished used cars or brand new once I could afford something besides a junker.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:09 pm

Deferred maintenance! Love it.
I bought the Outback from a dealer and they totally screwed me over. I've still not gotten satisfaction and doubt I ever will. So I'm settling for making them give me a loaner when we take it in for the ubiquitous air bag recall, and I'll happily sit down and talk with anyone who ever considers going to this dealership and detailing why that would be a very pour decision.*

*Astute readers may recall that this escapade started just over a year ago when the Subaru wouldn't in the garage 12 hours after I drove it off the lot. It continued through a clutch replacement, key reprogramming, and a leaking rear hatch window. I guess I was under the impression that if I paid well over two grand more than bluebook value, I was getting a quality product with no surprises.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:08 pm

Thumper wrote:Deferred maintenance! Love it.
I bought the Outback from a dealer and they totally screwed me over. I've still not gotten satisfaction and doubt I ever will. So I'm settling for making them give me a loaner when we take it in for the ubiquitous air bag recall, and I'll happily sit down and talk with anyone who ever considers going to this dealership and detailing why that would be a very pour decision.*

*Astute readers may recall that this escapade started just over a year ago when the Subaru wouldn't in the garage 12 hours after I drove it off the lot. It continued through a clutch replacement, key reprogramming, and a leaking rear hatch window. I guess I was under the impression that if I paid well over two grand more than bluebook value, I was getting a quality product with no surprises.

My standard expectation these days is that everyone makes a shitty product. But, if the guy who sold you that shitty product is willing to make things right then maybe the world isn't so bad. OTOH... If they don't make it right I usually will never do business with that company again.

Or my personal favorite was the dealership where we bought our last car. They gave us this really nice package of perks and services for purchasing with them. one of those perks was a *free oil change*. I took it in for the *free oil change*. The *free oil change* cost me $45 for the stuff that wasn't covered. :o

Maybe I am old fashioned but when you tell me you are giving me a *free oil change* package I expect that things like a 500 point inspection, lubing the u-joints or whatever passes for u-joints, checking the tires, topping off the other fluids, and etc, etc. are part of the package. Because frankly Jiffy Lube will do all of that and give me free bad coffee for a couple of dollars more. And if I time it right I am not waiting for 2 hours to get the car back.

I refuse to use this dealership for anything except vehicle recalls and services no one else can provide. :cuss:
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:29 pm

I also will avoid dealership service if at all possible. Their number one priority is listing and charging for as many ancillary services as possible.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Thu May 24, 2018 6:19 pm

Got Mrs. T an RDX and she likes it. I had to take it to an Acura dealer for an airbag recall because the Nissan dealership where I bought the '14 RDX didn't feel like doing it. So far so good. The Nissan cleaned up really nice and is currently for sale at my buddy's house. He has more exposure, lists it on several websites, and loves to sell cars. I can't stand buying or selling cars so this works out great. The Kid indeed learned how to drive stick and is tooling around in the Civic. Unfortunately, I currently own and insure 5 titled motor vehicles. But that should be down to 4 before too long.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Thu May 24, 2018 6:35 pm

Thumper wrote:Got Mrs. T an RDX and she likes it. I had to take it to an Acura dealer for an airbag recall because the Nissan dealership where I bought the '14 RDX didn't feel like doing it. So far so good. The Nissan cleaned up really nice and is currently for sale at my buddy's house. He has more exposure, lists it on several websites, and loves to sell cars. I can't stand buying or selling cars so this works out great. The Kid indeed learned how to drive stick and is tooling around in the Civic. Unfortunately, I currently own and insure 5 titled motor vehicles. But that should be down to 4 before too long.

I bet you get a great fleet discount. :P
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Thu May 24, 2018 6:38 pm

I get really nice Christmas cards from my insurance agents.
With pictures of them on the French Riviera saying "Thanks" ?? :P
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Thu May 24, 2018 6:39 pm

Thumper wrote:I get really nice Christmas cards from my insurance agents.
With pictures of them on the French Riviera saying "Thanks" ?? :P

roll:
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby geonuc » Fri May 25, 2018 3:52 pm

I had five cars once. I don't think my neighbors in the condo complex appreciated it - parking sometimes was tight.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby geonuc » Fri May 25, 2018 3:53 pm

Oh, and the RDX is a nice ride.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Fri May 25, 2018 4:02 pm

She's let me drive it once, to the dealer for the recall.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri May 25, 2018 11:53 pm

Thumper wrote:She's let me drive it once, to the dealer for the recall.

You should feel very privileged. :P
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Return to Good News