Anthony Violi Dots the I

We all need to hear it... here's the place to share it...

Anthony Violi Dots the I

Postby Thumper » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:03 pm

One of the premiere events in Big 10 football (if not all of college football) is the Dotting of the I. The Ohio State Marching band has a routine called Script Ohio, in which they march and spell out Ohio in cursive. The point of the pen is the Drum Major. After they finish off the second O, they dance out above the I and point a lucky and honored Sousaphone player to their spot dotting the I. I've witnessed this ritual in person several times, and am moved more every time I see it. This dates back to before I attended OSU, before I liked OSU, back with I actively hated OSU. I still loved this ritual. This last week was the alumni game. Former members of the OSU Marching Band form the Alumni band and they dwarf the actual band. That in itself is awesome. Then they often participate in a Double or Quad Script Ohio, which is more awesome. One of the alumni members chosen to dot one of I's Saturday was Anthony Violi. He's a hundred years old. He joined the band in 1937 the year after they formed. Then he and graduated and went and fought WWII. He's led out by a couple former majors who are probably 60 or 70. And then you can't get him off the field. He keeps turning around and bowing. If you can watch this clip without crying, I'm sorry that you just don't get it. I sent the clip to my Dad (certainly NOT a Buckeye fan).

He simply wrote back Now That is Something Special.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Re: Anthony Violi Dots the I

Postby SciFiFisher » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:23 pm

Pretty awesome. :D
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby geonuc » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:23 pm

I didn't cry but that was very cool.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:21 pm

geonuc wrote:I didn't cry but that was very cool.
8-)
I've showed it several times now. The woman trying so carefully to help him off the field while he is thoroughly enjoying saluting, waving, and bowing to the crowd is his grand daughter or possibly great grand daughter. I'm sure she was just worried about him falling and getting hurt out there. Right at the end of the clip, as she's holding him and ushering him to the sideline, if you can read lips, you can clearly see her say, "Good job, Grampa."
$hit, I just watched it again and teared up. I'm hopeless.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:23 pm

Saw a news clip interview with him. He still teaches music part time at an elementary school in Eastern Ohio! They were there at the school when his students sang and played Happy Birthday for his hundredth.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Swift » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:07 am

I got a little watery. That is awesome.

Two related stories, though not close to that cool. One of the guys I work with is in the alumni band, plays the drums. I'm pretty sure he was there that day. We have a little band at work called "Ceramica" that he plays in.

When I was at Brown I had a lot of friends in the band. They are sort of the opposite of the Ohio State band, they are basically crazy troublemakers, that's why I love them. When I was there, the mayor of Providence was Vincent "Buddy" Cianci. It was common knowledge that he was a stooge for the mob and an idiot. He would show up at football games and the band would start playing the Godfather theme. He'd laugh, they'd hand him a pair of cymbals, and let him play with the band. They'd tell him that one day they'd let him dot the i in Brown.

One of the reasons I don't watch college football much on TV is they don't show the halftime shows any longer. I always thought that was the main point, and as an added bonus, they surrounded the show with a football game.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby pumpkinpi » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:43 am

And this weekend they did the floss.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/10/ohio-s ... ckpack-kid

(If you don't know what it is, consider yourself lucky. )
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby SciFiFisher » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:19 pm

pumpkinpi wrote:And this weekend they did the floss.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/10/ohio-s ... ckpack-kid

(If you don't know what it is, consider yourself lucky. )

I know just enough to know that I don't want to know more. :lol:
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby code monkey » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:41 am

I couldn't resist the challenge. unless i'm missing something - entirely possible. consider what I most recently missed - it's just a silly dance.
and still i persist in wondering whether folly must always be our nemesis. edgar pangborn

come gentle night. come loving black browed night
give me my romeo. and when he shall die
take him and cut him out in little stars
and he will make the face of heaven so fine
that all will be in love with night
and pay no worship to the garish sun. william shakespeare
code monkey

Postby Thumper » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:25 pm

The band has done some really innovative an creative marching in the last few years. I saw video of that sped up yesterday. It was pretty funny.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Return to Good News