Beer

Got an amazing drink recipe? Found a great beer? What about a wine recommendation? Are you having a good old fashioned pub crawl or drunk?? Share it here...

Re: Beer

Postby Parrothead » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:14 pm

Picked up a couple of brews, some I have not tried before. After I finish sampling them in the near future, I'll give my two cents worth on Great Lakes Breweries' "Pumpkin Ale" and Shepherd Neame's "Spook Ale".

Cheers!
Parrothead

Postby geonuc » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:38 pm

Parrothead wrote:Picked up a couple of brews, some I have not tried before. After I finish sampling them in the near future, I'll give my two cents worth on Great Lakes Breweries' "Pumpkin Ale" and Shepherd Neame's "Spook Ale".

Cheers!

Yes, it's pumpkin season again.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Swift » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:17 pm

Parrothead wrote: I'll give my two cents worth on Great Lakes Breweries' "Pumpkin Ale" and Shepherd Neame's "Spook Ale".

Hey! That my hometown brew! Great Lakes is sort of considered the grand old master of the microbreweries in this region; they started around 1988 (I actually googled it, but that was also my guess).

I have not tried their pumpkin ale this year.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby Rommie » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:24 pm

Swift wrote:
Parrothead wrote: I'll give my two cents worth on Great Lakes Breweries' "Pumpkin Ale" and Shepherd Neame's "Spook Ale".

Hey! That my hometown brew! Great Lakes is sort of considered the grand old master of the microbreweries in this region; they started around 1988 (I actually googled it, but that was also my guess).

I have not tried their pumpkin ale this year.

I miss GLB so badly! :(

During a stopover in Chicago I was visiting some old college buddies, and bought some GLB Dortmunder they were selling in the liquor store there for our evening. Was pleased to note it's just as good a beer as I remembered!

I also miss pumpkin ale (pumpkin has just started here- last year was the first year of Starbucks pumpkin spice lattes for example). The past three years here have had an influx of wonderful new IPA style beers from Dutch microbreweries, but damn it'd be nice to have a pint of that stuff.

Also I should note that I'm going to Prague this weekend- looking forward to some good pilsners! :cheers:
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:37 pm

I enjoy most of GLB ales. They've got a couple seasonals that are fantastic, Chillwave and Monster. Their Commodore Perry is one of my favs. Their Blackout Stout is good but hard to find around here. Only a few places around here serve any on tap. There are so many craft breweries around here now, we're surrounded by great brews. It's hard to keep up. There are probably 6-10 newish breweries just in the Cbus area.

GLB is famous for their Christmas ale. Always sells out, people ordering it ahead of time. Unfortunately, I'm just not a fan of any Christmas beers. That's okay, more for everybody else, I'll take the IPA, Porter, and Stout. Not usually a fan of fruity beers but had a Pumpkin ale last weekend and it was pretty good.

(edit: there, their, they're...)
Last edited by Thumper on Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:08 pm

Christmas beer is an interesting one because GLB's at least changes every year, so some years I don't like it and some years it's good. Worth a taste of someone's to see whether I like it, but yes I don't know the huge obsession some have over it.

Btw question for the Ohioans, do you guys know Hoppin' Frog brewery out of Akron? I ask because I never saw it when I was in Cleveland, but the American craft beer bar here has it quite regularly. Really makes you wonder what kind of distributor those guys have!
Rommie

Postby Swift » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:26 pm

Rommie wrote:Christmas beer is an interesting one because GLB's at least changes every year, so some years I don't like it and some years it's good. Worth a taste of someone's to see whether I like it, but yes I don't know the huge obsession some have over it.

I agree completely. Generally I'm not a fan of spiced beers, but GLB has gotten me to like them. I will generally have one or two a season, but that's enough for me. And yes, there are some years I like it much better than others.

Btw question for the Ohioans, do you guys know Hoppin' Frog brewery out of Akron? I ask because I never saw it when I was in Cleveland, but the American craft beer bar here has it quite regularly. Really makes you wonder what kind of distributor those guys have!

I've heard of it and that's it. I don't recall seeing it in a bar or restaurant, nor trying it. And for the last 2 weeks I've been living 15 miles north of Akron.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby FZR1KG » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:49 pm

I tried GLB years ago and gave it another go after seeing this thread.
Same shit really.
Con trails, aliens and all other sorts of garbage.
FZR1KG

Postby Swift » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:55 pm

FZR1KG wrote:Con trails, aliens and all other sorts of garbage.

:confused:

Swift

Postby Swift » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:48 pm

It is very good beer, but I wouldn't call it "God Like"

Swift

Postby brite » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:25 am

The other discussion has been moved to the Mosh Pit.

Carry on...
brite
Wild Pixie in Action

Postby Parrothead » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:42 pm

I had the "Spooks Ale" , it was okay, for a Hallow's Eve brew, I prefer "Hobgoblin".

The Pumpkin Ale I'll have this weekend, as it's Thanksgiving. My earlier mistake, it is brewed not by Great Lakes Breweries, but Toronto based Great Lakes Brewery. Cheers.
Parrothead

Postby pumpkinpi » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:13 pm

I really need to read the % alcohol on beers more closely. Last week I had a Schlafly's (St. Louis) Pumpkin Ale. 8%
http://schlafly.com/beers/styles/pumpkin-ale/
Yummy.
I was about done with it when the server came and asked if I wanted another--I wasn't driving, so yeah!

About two minutes later I started to feel the buzz. I really shouldn't have had the whole 2nd beer. I was pretty loopy, and had the spins before going to bed.

And I was traveling for buisness--felt like crap the whole next day. Oops.

But for pumpkin ales, the most tasty one I've had is Pumpking from Southern Tier (NY)
http://www.stbcbeer.com/seasonals/seaso ... beer-page/
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby geonuc » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:20 pm

In the last few years, I've been fanatical about checking the % alcohol. If the tavern or server don't know it, I look it up on beeradvocate or ratebeer. Those %'s can sneak up on you!
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Rommie » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:29 pm

8%? Only? Never visit Holland.
Rommie

Postby cid » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:30 pm

For medical reasons, I don't drink any more...well, maybe one every couple of years at best...

From one who used to keep The Stroh Brewery Company financially solvent singlehandedly...

...this thread makes me somewhat nostalgic... :cry:
Dear Algebra -- stop asking us to find your x. She's not coming back - ever. Get over it.
cid
Database Ninja Level 1

Postby Thumper » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:31 pm

Parrothead wrote:My earlier mistake, it is brewed not by Great Lakes Breweries, but Toronto based Great Lakes Brewery. Cheers.
I don't think you made the mistake. I think I assumed wrong because I didn't know there were two breweries with such similar names:
Great Lakes Brewing Company in Cleveland
Great Lakes Brewery in Toronto
Founded in '87 and '88 respectively, I'm surprised there wasn't some sort of copyright or trademark issue.
Great Lakes in Cleveland has a seasonal Double IPA (that's fabulous) Chillwave, that was rebranded from an Ale called Alchemy Hour because the it's name was too similar to another beer from another brewery. I could find out whose but all the booze sites are blocked here.

Edit: Found it. Widmer Bros. (Portland OR) Alchemy Ale. (Not a double IPA)
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:29 pm

Eagle Creek Brewing Company, Low Country Pale Ale

Very good. Hoppier than normal pale ales. Had a couple at the hotel bar on Jekyll Island (Georgia) last night.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:33 am

Sweetwater has finally made it to Ohio. Have tried the 420 Extra, and the IPA.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:03 pm

I haven't had Sweetwater since a few years ago, when I visited a friend in Atlanta for the weekend and she took me straight from the airport to the brewery. Good stuff!
Rommie

Postby geonuc » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:32 pm

Geez, you guys make it sound like it's hard to find Sweetwater. I can't swing a dead cat without hitting a bottle of 420. ;)
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby SciFiFisher » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:32 am

geonuc wrote:Geez, you guys make it sound like it's hard to find Sweetwater. I can't swing a dead cat without hitting a bottle of 420. ;)

smart. Aleck. :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Parrothead » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:59 pm

Had the GLB Pumpkin Ale, it was ok. I preferred Highballer Pumpkin Ale, brewed in Cambridge, Ont. by Grand River Brewing. The pumpkin and spice flavours were just a bit more pronounced, which made a difference.
Parrothead

Postby Rommie » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:55 am

The best pumpkin ale IRC is the one Dogfish Head makes, with a bit of brown sugar on the rim.

Unfortunately they don't make it here (the Germans would have a heart attack!), so I haven't had pumpkin ale in years. :cry:
Rommie

Postby Parrothead » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:28 pm

A bottle of this, is awaiting me in the near future.
Parrothead

PreviousNext

Return to The Sand Bar