Beer

Got an amazing drink recipe? Found a great beer? What about a wine recommendation? Are you having a good old fashioned pub crawl or drunk?? Share it here...

Re: Beer

Postby Parrothead » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:59 pm

Been working my way through some seasonal brews, again. I have enjoyed Samuel Smith's "Winter Welcome" ale and Shepherd Neame's "Christmas Ale".

Left to try from the stash are a couple of Belgian brews: St Bernardus' Christmas Ale and some Trappist ale. A Norwegian brew that is supposedly like glogg and beer, the name of it translates to "naked island". Some "Bah, Humbug", which I will leave for when I am in such a mood. Finally a double chocolate stout and a vanilla stout. I'm wondering, if I drink half the chocolate stout, followed by the vanilla, followed by the rest of the chocolate one, is that like a liquid oreo? I think there is one more locally brewed Christmas ale in the stash as well ...

These will be enjoyed while watching World Jrs hockey games. :D Cheers!
Parrothead

Postby geonuc » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:36 am

Oreo beer. I like it.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:46 pm

Stopped by one of the local brewpubs before Christmas to fill my growler. They have a Scottish Ale that my Father in Law loves. So a growler of that is usually one of his gifts from me. While there, of course I tried a couple drafts. They have a Russian Imperial Stout on tap year round. Fridays happen to be "Firken Fridays." I asked to try what was in the Firken. It was a mouthful. It was their Russian Imperial Stout, cask aged in bourbon barrels, infused with chocolate and peanut butter. So is that a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup beer? :D
Regardless, it was fantastic! It was like an entire meal in a glass. Finally a "Christmas" beer I could enjoy. ;)
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:28 pm

Enjoying a lot of nice microbrews right now here in Colorado the past week- Telluride brewing company is a great one I've learned, but really not sure if you can get them outside of the region.

Fun discovery was when my mom sent my brother and I to the liquor store to stock up for Christmas we discovered they had Alaska brewery beers in stock, which I loved while up there. (Imports are expensive up that way so they brew their own stuff and do it very well.) So bought an Alaskan amber- still good! :cheers:
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby Parrothead » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:39 pm

The Belgian trappist ale is Rochefort and the other local brew is Church Key Christmas ale. My next decision, which one(s) of all that I mentioned, should be enjoyed while watching Canada vs US in World Jrs hockey, at 4pm this afternoon. The tourney is split between Toronto and Montreal this year (and again in a couple of years time).

Happy New Year to all! Enjoy! :beer: :beer: :beer: :cheers:
Parrothead

Postby Swift » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:54 pm

The only Christmas ale I tried this year was Great Lakes'. It was on the sweet side this year. It was fine, but not their best.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby Parrothead » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:00 pm

I had the St. Bernardus Christmas Ale on New Years eve. It was a 750ml bottle, 10% alc./vol. , needless to say that one bottle lasted me the entire evening. I did like this Christmas ale, the scent of spices hit the nose, as soon as I popped the cork (it was corked like a champagne bottle). Seeing as it did have a higher alcohol content, it was a bit on the sweet side, but not too much so.

I think I'll have the "Bah, Humbug" ale while watching USA vs Russia, which starts at 1pm. Canada plays Denmark, this evening.

:cheers: :beer: :beer: Cheers! :D
Parrothead

Postby Thumper » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:22 pm

After dinner with a karate family and our chief instructor Saturday, my buddy and I stopped for a night cap. They had Bells Two Hearted on tap, but were trying it on nitro. They were having trouble with too much foam. It took them 10 minutes to get two decent pints out, but they were wonderful. It felt like velvet. Didn't realize until the check came how expensive they were. :shock: But they were very good.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:04 pm

Went to Smugglers Brewery in Telluride for NYE. Holy crap, amazing beer- they had 18+, so we did three tasters between the family and split 'em all. My favorite "special" one was actually the Xmas ale, which was darker than I'm used to and had a strong bit of cinnamon/nutmeg added- very nice.

They also had a red on tap that won some international beer award that was amazing. Unfortunately don't think they distribute too far- hell didn't see their beers anywhere else in the Telluride area outside the brewery, but definitely worth a taste of their stuff if you ever see it.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:08 pm

You could always smuggle some growlers out and distribute. ;)
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby vendic » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:07 pm

Wife thought she'd try some beer called "Sweet Baby Jesus".
If you try it, those words might be uttered. Not in a good way though.
Chocolate, peanut dark ale. Just no. No. NO. NO.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby Thumper » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:45 pm

That reminds me that I finally got the courage to try some Kitka. It's a little weird and not very similar to what this IPA drinker usually imbibes. But I liked it. I like most of The Brew Kettle's offerings.

Seeing this thread and Rommie's post reminded me of our time in Portland. We did the samplings at several brew pubs. I usually just try to read the offerings, talk to the staff, and pick out a pint that I think I'll like. But we found it was just as much fun to sample the whole lot and talk about what we didn't really like as much as what we did.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Swift » Tue May 03, 2016 4:30 pm

I just tried a bourbon barrel ale the other day (sorry, don't know what brand it was, it was at a party and I did a "He's having what? OK, I'll try one". Very nice. Knowing what it was, it had the hint of bourbon; I'm not sure I would have guessed that if I didn't know.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby Thumper » Wed May 04, 2016 11:20 am

Many of the bourbon barrel ales I've tried are just too strong with the whiskey for me. Hey, I love whiskey, and enjoy Scotch, but not so much in my beer. I do like how small brewers and distillers are working together sharing barrels and casks, though. Some of the producers of "sour" beers are using spent wine casks to get the desired bacteria mix for the flavor they're looking for. It's interesting even if I don't love everything.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Mon May 09, 2016 11:20 am

vendic wrote:Wife thought she'd try some beer called "Sweet Baby Jesus".
If you try it, those words might be uttered. Not in a good way though.
Chocolate, peanut dark ale. Just no. No. NO. NO.

I saw this at the store Friday and almost bought it. But I was stocking up on a bunch of other brews. If it had been available as a single, I surely would have grabbed one out of curiosity.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Mon May 09, 2016 10:20 pm

In my search for a low alcohol beer that doesn't taste like horse piss*, I may have a winner.

Green Flash JIBE Session IPA, 4.0% and fairly hoppy (65 IBU)

*Disclaimer - I don't actually have first-hand knowledge of what horse piss tastes like.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby SciFiFisher » Tue May 10, 2016 2:37 am

geonuc wrote:In my search for a low alcohol beer that doesn't taste like horse piss*, I may have a winner.

Green Flash JIBE Session IPA, 4.0% and fairly hoppy (65 IBU)

*Disclaimer - I don't actually have first-hand knowledge of what horse piss tastes like.

I am told that if you drink Coors you will have a really good analog. ;)
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Wed May 11, 2016 11:46 am

Founders All Day IPA is a good session. I have seen but not tried the Green Flash. I like other of their beers. Both of these would be much preferable to Mich Ultra, or But Select 55. I don't think think either of those even rise to the level of "Horse Piss." They're more like "Sex in a Canoe."
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Swift » Wed May 11, 2016 2:11 pm

Thumper wrote: They're more like "Sex in a Canoe."

:shock: :? :?:

That would be a great name for a drink, though I'm not sure what should be in it. Some mix that made you happy, bruised, and likely to drown at any moment.

Swift

Postby vendic » Wed May 11, 2016 5:26 pm

Swift wrote:
Thumper wrote: They're more like "Sex in a Canoe."

:shock: :? :?:

That would be a great name for a drink, though I'm not sure what should be in it. Some mix that made you happy, bruised, and likely to drown at any moment.

Ad slogan:
A wild wet ride.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby Thumper » Wed May 11, 2016 5:28 pm

Bud Select 55 = "Sex in a Canoe" = "Phukin' close to water."
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Swift » Wed May 11, 2016 8:09 pm

Thumper wrote:Bud Select 55 = "Sex in a Canoe" = "Phukin' close to water."

OH! :o :P

It does make me wonder about the mechanics of actually attempting sex in a canoe.

It would also be a good name for a yoga position.

Swift

Postby vendic » Thu May 12, 2016 3:21 am

Doesn't that describe most Bud beer?
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby Thumper » Thu May 12, 2016 11:43 am

Most are but not the real Budweiser, the one from the Czech Republic.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Thu May 12, 2016 12:03 pm

Thumper wrote:Founders All Day IPA is a good session. I have seen but not tried the Green Flash. I like other of their beers. Both of these would be much preferable to Mich Ultra, or But Select 55. I don't think think either of those even rise to the level of "Horse Piss." They're more like "Sex in a Canoe."

Founders All day IPA is good, too. I think the Green Flash is a bit better. Entirely subjective, of course.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

PreviousNext

Return to The Sand Bar