new stuff comin"

A fine description of what happened to the last versions of our beloved FWIS forums... and how we intend to plot revenge... OK... maybe not the revenge part...

new stuff comin"

Postby Ikyoto » Fri May 31, 2013 4:18 pm

I'm also working on gpu avatars, though the animated ones will be $5-10 per month for those who want one going forward
Ikyoto
Fine Arts Purveyor

Re: new stuff comin"

Postby SciFi Chick » Fri May 31, 2013 9:38 pm

This brings up a very interesting point. Perhaps it's time for those of us who can afford it to start chipping in. I know we did the Cafe Press thing for awhile, but that seems to have been abandoned. If you could let us know what the hosting costs are, those of us who desire to help out could PM you or Trish with the amount we want to help with. And you could keep track in the thread what amount has been raised. It would be similar to Go Fund Me, only it would be anonymous.

Thoughts?
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby FZR1KG » Fri May 31, 2013 9:47 pm

Sure.
I'm in.
FZR1KG

Postby pumpkinpi » Fri May 31, 2013 9:48 pm

I'd be happy to help out to pay the basic costs. My opinion is that if animated avatars cost that much, I'd prefer to stick with still images. That seems like a frivolity to me.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby SciFi Chick » Fri May 31, 2013 9:52 pm

pumpkinpi wrote:I'd be happy to help out to pay the basic costs. My opinion is that if animated avatars cost that much, I'd prefer to stick with still images. That seems like a frivolity to me.

I agree in the sense that I can't believe Ikyoto has been paying that this whole time. If, on the other hand, he's deciding to charge that in order to help pay for hosting costs, it might not be so frivolous.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby FZR1KG » Fri May 31, 2013 9:52 pm

Or to cover medical costs.
FZR1KG

Postby geonuc » Fri May 31, 2013 10:04 pm

I hate animated avatars. I'll pay not to have them.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby FZR1KG » Fri May 31, 2013 10:06 pm

geonuc wrote:I hate animated avatars. I'll pay not to have them.

LOL
FZR1KG

Postby SciFi Chick » Fri May 31, 2013 10:06 pm

:lol:
FZR1KG wrote:
geonuc wrote:I hate animated avatars. I'll pay not to have them.

LOL
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby geonuc » Fri May 31, 2013 10:22 pm

Now, animated emoticons, they rock.

geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Swift » Fri May 31, 2013 10:23 pm

It is hard to tell, but my avatar is animated, it is just that when frogs are stalking their prey, they are very still, then move so fast you can't tell. :o

More seriously, I don't wish to have an animated avatar, but I would be more than willing a reasonable amount toward the expense of running the board.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby SciFi Chick » Fri May 31, 2013 11:02 pm

Swift wrote:It is hard to tell, but my avatar is animated, it is just that when frogs are stalking their prey, they are very still, then move so fast you can't tell. :o

More seriously, I don't wish to have an animated avatar, but I would be more than willing a reasonable amount toward the expense of running the board.

And I reckon with the number of us that would pitch in, it will easily be a reasonable amount. The domain name was $125 according to brite, and I reckon she should be reimbursed.
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby brite » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:18 am

That paid for the hosting for 2 years... The company I chose -- Fat Cow (I LOVE the name!) is based in the US and so is their customer support... which means that should who ever takes over, should be able to understand them... a concept in and of itself...

I can understand most accents... I mean... hell... I understand Z... but Great Goddess in GLORY! Talking to the hosting company they were using for Loresinger, was like talking to someone who had marbles in their mouths...
brite
Wild Pixie in Action

Postby FZR1KG » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:28 am

i have no accent. How many times do we have to go through this???

was the other hosting company Indian or Chinese?
FZR1KG

Postby brite » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:37 am

Russian... With very heavy Russian accents... like they were in the Motherland...
brite
Wild Pixie in Action

Postby FZR1KG » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:07 am

That explains the lack of service.
unless you go to mother Russia, get drunk with them on vodka while negotiating the contract, you won't get anywhere.
Written contracts aren't worth shit.
Only vodka counts.
FZR1KG

Postby brite » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:21 am

I can relate to the vodka... as long as it's GOOD vodka...

Maybe that's where I was going wrong... I wasn't drunk....

And you do too have an accent... the rest of us talk fine... except for Fisher... who talks almost as funny as you do... only in American...
brite
Wild Pixie in Action

Postby Swift » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:19 am

brite wrote:Russian... With very heavy Russian accents... like they were in the Motherland...

In Soviet Russia, you host web hosting company!
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby dayzed » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:04 am

Jayzus Christo, FZ.... :lol:
dayzed

Postby The Supreme Canuck » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:47 pm

SciFi Chick wrote:This brings up a very interesting point. Perhaps it's time for those of us who can afford it to start chipping in. I know we did the Cafe Press thing for awhile, but that seems to have been abandoned. If you could let us know what the hosting costs are, those of us who desire to help out could PM you or Trish with the amount we want to help with. And you could keep track in the thread what amount has been raised. It would be similar to Go Fund Me, only it would be anonymous.

Thoughts?

I'd be more than happy to chip in.
The Supreme Canuck

Postby pumpkinpi » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:06 pm

SciFi Chick wrote:
pumpkinpi wrote:I'd be happy to help out to pay the basic costs. My opinion is that if animated avatars cost that much, I'd prefer to stick with still images. That seems like a frivolity to me.

I agree in the sense that I can't believe Ikyoto has been paying that this whole time. If, on the other hand, he's deciding to charge that in order to help pay for hosting costs, it might not be so frivolous.

I know this is waaay late but I just realized I forgot to reply. I agree, if the $$ goes to help pay for hosting, and is not an additional charge by the hosting company, then it's not frivolous.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby SciFi Chick » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:03 pm

pumpkinpi wrote:
SciFi Chick wrote:

I know this is waaay late but I just realized I forgot to reply. I agree, if the $$ goes to help pay for hosting, and is not an additional charge by the hosting company, then it's not frivolous.

I"m going up for the charity gig, so I'll find out for sure what the story is then, and once I know, we can start a collection. I'll PM everyone that showed interest, as I'm very excited to use the new PM feature that allows more than one recipient. :lol:
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby brite » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:10 pm

If you're going up for the Brain Bash... keep an eye out for Cupicake's biscotto and my fruit breads... ;)

Just saying...
brite
Wild Pixie in Action

Postby SciFi Chick » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:35 pm

brite wrote:If you're going up for the Brain Bash... keep an eye out for Cupicake's biscotto and my fruit breads... ;)

Just saying...

No problem! :mrgreen:

If I take biscotto from someone who had brain surgery, is that like taking candy from a baby? :twisted:
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby code monkey » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:28 am

brite wrote:Russian... With very heavy Russian accents... like they were in the Motherland...

perhaps they were.
and still i persist in wondering whether folly must always be our nemesis. edgar pangborn

come gentle night. come loving black browed night
give me my romeo. and when he shall die
take him and cut him out in little stars
and he will make the face of heaven so fine
that all will be in love with night
and pay no worship to the garish sun. william shakespeare
code monkey

Next

Return to What the Hell??