"Nazi Linux"

Had a crappy day? Think your only friend is the dog? Got fired? Someone piss in your Wheaties? Just need to blow off some steam and rant? Here's the place to do it. No judgement, maybe some sympathy, possibly some advice... but definitely a safe place to go off on the world.

"Nazi Linux"

Postby Cyborg Girl » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:34 pm

Well not quite, but getting there:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrian_Electronic_Army

Their own Linux distro is now on the Distrowatch waiting list. And people are rushing to excuse it. Color me disgusted.
Cyborg Girl
Boy Genius

Re: "Nazi Linux"

Postby Cyborg Girl » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:58 pm

Although one of the posters there did make a good point - the world's major powers have all committed war crimes, so when you get down to it, singling out the one linked to a single dictatorial regime is a bit hypocritical...

The only answer I was able to give re that was, "intent matters." And I feel like it should in this case - the SEA seems to exist for the sole purpose of abetting and covering up war crimes.

OTOH, how is Syria killing tends of thousands of their own civilians different from the US killing tends of thousands of Iraqi civilians? Intent only gets you so far when it comes to... you know... mass murder.

Maybe there ought to be as much impetus un-list distros used by the federal government. Unfortunately, if you took that to its logical conclusion, you'd have to boycott pretty much every product on the planet. Sigh.

Edit: I guess I just feel like you have to pick your battles, and can't really go wrong picking this one. If that makes me a hypocrite, so be it; I'm not going to act like it's okay to give the Assad regime a platform for deliberately murdering its own citizens en masse, and covering up the evidence, even if my own country hasn't done much better.
Cyborg Girl
Boy Genius

Re: "Nazi Linux"

Postby Rommie » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:57 am

No, it doesn't work that way- if every government accepts bribes, for example, that doesn't mean you shouldn't get upset about it.

(Btw, um, you know what China's been up to for years on the internet right?)
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Return to Bitch, Moan, and Rant