Get Drunk. Fall Overboard. Sue.

Had a crappy day? Think your only friend is the dog? Got fired? Someone piss in your Wheaties? Just need to blow off some steam and rant? Here's the place to do it. No judgement, maybe some sympathy, possibly some advice... but definitely a safe place to go off on the world.

Get Drunk. Fall Overboard. Sue.

Postby SciFi Chick » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:04 pm

I'm not sure how judge's decide when a case is frivolous and should be thrown out without being heard, but I'd sure vote for this one!
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Re: Get Drunk. Fall Overboard. Sue.

Postby geonuc » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:48 pm

Judges decide based on the evidence presented in a preliminary hearing. If there is sufficient evidence to conclude that the plaintiff has a reasonable chance to succeed with a case, the suit proceeds. Judges do not - or should not - dismiss a case just because they think it's frivolous. They have to weigh the preliminary evidence against what the law requires to establish liability.

That said, this might not be frivolous. While I don't think there is such a thing as 'over-serving' alcohol on a cruise ship (no one is drinking & driving, for instance), there may well be enough legal precedent to say they have a responsibility to at least notice when people fall overboard. They are, after all, in the business of getting people drunk. Drunk people fall down a lot.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby FZR1KG » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:39 pm

Serving people drinks but not watching out for them when the life lines are clearly inadequate is pretty irresponsible but by the same token people want the ability to do anything reckless that they want and not have to be responsible for the results of their actions.

*edited for typo*
Last edited by FZR1KG on Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FZR1KG

Postby Loresinger » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:28 pm

this reminds me of buglers who get comp even for doing something illegal
Dance in your kitchen; play with your food
Loresinger
Mistress of the Ink

Postby SciFiFisher » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:50 am

Loresinger wrote:this reminds me of buglers who get comp even for doing something illegal

It's not illegal to bugler somebody in some places. Just saying. :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Rommie » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:31 pm

Tangentially related: the one case my dad almost got seated on for a jury was a civil suit where someone was suing a cruise line because the floor was slippery and they fell. My dad being my dad, once they heard he was a PhD in engineering they used a strike against him pretty quickly.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Return to Bitch, Moan, and Rant