BMR Lite

Had a crappy day? Think your only friend is the dog? Got fired? Someone piss in your Wheaties? Just need to blow off some steam and rant? Here's the place to do it. No judgement, maybe some sympathy, possibly some advice... but definitely a safe place to go off on the world.

Re: BMR Lite

Postby Thumper » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:38 pm

I'm cool with almost all dental work, but having a tooth yanked out while conscious gives me the willies.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby pumpkinpi » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:27 pm

You'd better not watch this scene in The Americans, then.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby Thumper » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:21 pm

Yeah, so thanks for the link!
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:43 pm

Swift wrote:On another note, I had a tooth pulled this afternoon; right, top wisdom tooth. Only second wisdom tooth I've had pulled; the first was maybe a decade ago and it had cracked. This one had a big cavity and my dentist didn't think it productive to fill. The pulling didn't hurt and it only kind of aches now, but I had to chop down on gauze pads for hours to stop the bleeding and my jaw aches from doing that.

Dinner was mashed potatoes.

It really isn't all that bad, but I feel like whining.

I remember in the navy, they had a policy of preemptively pulling wisdom teeth for submarine sailors. It avoided issues while underwater.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:50 pm

Apparently my parents and dentist had the same policy. I had all 4 of mine pulled during the summer after my freshman year in college. Much to my chagrin. But I was good and knocked out. I still have the teeth in a little bag.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Thumper » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:29 pm

And I get to go to the dentist today!
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:40 pm

Thumper wrote:And I get to go to the dentist today!

roll:
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:30 pm

Yep.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:14 am

It's the new year, which means for me, 2019 budgeted expenditures can happen. Such as a new table saw. I ditched the old one in Atlanta - while it served me well for a lot of years, it was a pain in the ass to align and an unaligned table saw is not a saw I want to use. So, I ordered a SawStop. That's the kind with a safety feature that stops the blade in milliseconds if it contacts your skin. Beyond the obvious advantage of not worrying as much about losing body parts, the saw is high quality. I've held off buying it because we spent too much money last year moving and getting this house fixed up.

My ex-neighbor in Atlanta owns a woodworking store and I decided to buy from him. SawStop does not sell directly - you have to use one of their authorized vendors and they all sell it at the same price. So I thought, why not give him the business? I anticipated that the saw would actually be delivered from the factory instead of the store. I mean who keeps an inventory of table saws?

This is BMR so you know it isn't going well. Turns out the saw is being shipped from Atlanta and when UPS contacted me to set up a delivery date (after the truck was on the road, mind you), I asked about the truck itself. They intended to attempt delivery off a full size 18-wheel semi. No way. That truck won't manage the alley that my garage opens to and the alley itself is uneven dirt and gravel. No way a pallet jack can be pulled along it. UPS's response? Eh, we'll see what happens.

After some back and forth with the store, the solution was to change the delivery location to a moving and storage facility here in Bend and have them put it on a smaller truck. The BMR? I have to pay the additional cost of $150. I'm mildly annoyed.

The good news is that when I went to the moving facility, the people there totally understood the issue and had it set up within minutes. Bonus was they had a seriously cute cat as store mascot.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:52 pm

At least your BMR had a nice cat in it. What kind of saw did you get?
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:18 pm

Thumper wrote:At least your BMR had a nice cat in it. What kind of saw did you get?

SawStop, professional cabinet, 1.75 hp
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:21 pm

Woo! That is one heck of a saw. I didn't realize the whole saw was "Sawstop." I know you can add the Sawstop feature to other saws. That should give you years of fun. When you can finally get it into the garage, that is. :P
Good luck.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:56 am

Thumper wrote:Woo! That is one heck of a saw. I didn't realize the whole saw was "Sawstop." I know you can add the Sawstop feature to other saws. That should give you years of fun. When you can finally get it into the garage, that is. :P
Good luck.

I wasn't aware that the SawStop brake could be installed on another brand of saw, at least not without significant machining.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:46 pm

geonuc wrote:
Thumper wrote:Woo! That is one heck of a saw. I didn't realize the whole saw was "Sawstop." I know you can add the Sawstop feature to other saws. That should give you years of fun. When you can finally get it into the garage, that is. :P
Good luck.

I wasn't aware that the SawStop brake could be installed on another brand of saw, at least not without significant machining.
Maybe I'm mistaken, but I seem to remember when Gethen posted about SawStop years ago. I think her husband had injured himself on his saw and she was pretty p|ssed and worried. Luckily it wasn't a serious injury. But he placated her by putting a SawStop assembly on his saw. Again, I could be mistaken. I've seen the videos with the hotdog. I'd never be able to test it on my own finger. :shock:
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:24 am

Thumper wrote:
geonuc wrote:
Good luck.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I seem to remember when Gethen posted about SawStop years ago. I think her husband had injured himself on his saw and she was pretty p|ssed and worried. Luckily it wasn't a serious injury. But he placated her by putting a SawStop assembly on his saw. Again, I could be mistaken. I've seen the videos with the hotdog. I'd never be able to test it on my own finger. :shock:

Now that you mention it that does sound about right. :think:
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:39 pm

Traffic. You'd think with 33 years in the state transportation industry, I'd be used to and immuned to traffic. Actually, it's more like poison ivy, the more I'm exposed to it, the worse the reaction. I had to hurry yesterday to get from TKD class down to a restaurant to meet Mrs. T for a wine tasting. I got out of class and on the road in record time, mostly the same roads I have to take every week. I'm very familiar with the travel times. I looked up different routes on Maps to see if there might be a timelier one. Nope, regular route, ramp back ups and all was 5-6 minutes faster than any other; travel time:24 minutes. I was gold, right until I got on the freeway and we all came to a screeching hault. It took 48 minutes to go 3 miles. It took an hour to get to the restaurant.

Worse, I was so mad I almost skipped it and went straight home. And I basically let it ruin the rest of my evening.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby SciFiFisher » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:41 pm

Thumper wrote:Traffic. You'd think with 33 years in the state transportation industry, I'd be used to and immuned to traffic. Actually, it's more like poison ivy, the more I'm exposed to it, the worse the reaction. I had to hurry yesterday to get from TKD class down to a restaurant to meet Mrs. T for a wine tasting. I got out of class and on the road in record time, mostly the same roads I have to take every week. I'm very familiar with the travel times. I looked up different routes on Maps to see if there might be a timelier one. Nope, regular route, ramp back ups and all was 5-6 minutes faster than any other; travel time:24 minutes. I was gold, right until I got on the freeway and we all came to a screeching hault. It took 48 minutes to go 3 miles. It took an hour to get to the restaurant.

Worse, I was so mad I almost skipped it and went straight home. And I basically let it ruin the rest of my evening.

I don't know if it is the unpredictability of it or the way it makes a person feel "helpless" or "not in control" but it can really harsh my chi extremely when that happens to me. I have certain highways that I just stay away from at certain times of the day. :scream:
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby geonuc » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:58 pm

SciFiFisher wrote:
Thumper wrote:Traffic. You'd think with 33 years in the state transportation industry, I'd be used to and immuned to traffic. Actually, it's more like poison ivy, the more I'm exposed to it, the worse the reaction. I had to hurry yesterday to get from TKD class down to a restaurant to meet Mrs. T for a wine tasting. I got out of class and on the road in record time, mostly the same roads I have to take every week. I'm very familiar with the travel times. I looked up different routes on Maps to see if there might be a timelier one. Nope, regular route, ramp back ups and all was 5-6 minutes faster than any other; travel time:24 minutes. I was gold, right until I got on the freeway and we all came to a screeching hault. It took 48 minutes to go 3 miles. It took an hour to get to the restaurant.

I don't know if it is the unpredictability of it or the way it makes a person feel "helpless" or "not in control" but it can really harsh my chi extremely when that happens to me. I have certain highways that I just stay away from at certain times of the day. :scream:

Excessive and unpredictable traffic is one of the top three reasons I left Atlanta.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:14 pm

That would seem to be a valid reason to leave Atlanta.
Last night was well after rush hour should have been over. Often what bugs me is the arbitraryness or lack of explanation. If we should be free flowing at 70MPH but three lanes are at a standstill for an hour, I expect to get up there eventually and see that 2 of the lanes have been swallowed up in a sinkhole. Or there's been a 20 car pile up with dead bodies strewn about. What I almost always see at the end of of the back up is open road: Cars starting to get back up to speed with no evidence of why we had to sit there forever.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby pumpkinpi » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:36 pm

Yes, that is so annoying!
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Postby SciFiFisher » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:43 pm

Thumper wrote:That would seem to be a valid reason to leave Atlanta.
Last night was well after rush hour should have been over. Often what bugs me is the arbitraryness or lack of explanation. If we should be free flowing at 70MPH but three lanes are at a standstill for an hour, I expect to get up there eventually and see that 2 of the lanes have been swallowed up in a sinkhole. Or there's been a 20 car pile up with dead bodies strewn about. What I almost always see at the end of of the back up is open road: Cars starting to get back up to speed with no evidence of why we had to sit there forever.

YES!! Where are the bodies damn it!!! :evil: :P
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:20 pm

:lol:
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby pumpkinpi » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:00 am

Social anxiety at its worst.....

I'm at work on a Saturday night, because there is a retirement party for one of my colleagues. Most of us came a little bit early to drop things off in the office. It's just a few minutes before party time and I hear people gathering to go to the party room. Laughing, talking, the familiar voices I hear and interact with 40 hours a week, with no anxiety.

But now the idea of going over to them is making me nervous, but so is the thought of letting them go first and I'll follow a bit later, because I'll walk into the room alone.

This is just so weird, and unexpected. It's not unlike how I feel when I go to other parties with people I know fairly well, but don't interact with a lot. But these people are my work family!
pumpkinpi

Postby geonuc » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:36 pm

pumpkinpi wrote:Social anxiety at its worst.....

I'm at work on a Saturday night, because there is a retirement party for one of my colleagues. Most of us came a little bit early to drop things off in the office. It's just a few minutes before party time and I hear people gathering to go to the party room. Laughing, talking, the familiar voices I hear and interact with 40 hours a week, with no anxiety.

But now the idea of going over to them is making me nervous, but so is the thought of letting them go first and I'll follow a bit later, because I'll walk into the room alone.

This is just so weird, and unexpected. It's not unlike how I feel when I go to other parties with people I know fairly well, but don't interact with a lot. But these people are my work family!

I am totally with you. Social anxiety is socially crippling at times.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby SciFiFisher » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:23 pm

Weirdly enough, I believe social anxiety to be more prevalent than might be expected. The moment you take most people out of their normal comfort zone and expect them to interact with other people, even people they know, they become very uncomfortable. Unless you go to parties every week you are probably very likely to feel socially awkward and/or anxious at parties.
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

PreviousNext

Return to Bitch, Moan, and Rant