Humans Are Not Ungulates

Humans Are Not Ungulates

Postby Cyborg Girl » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:46 pm

In the spirit of something I said earlier, which was largely ignored due to me being an angry ass at the time, I give you this:

http://harpers.org/archive/2015/06/shoo ... the-hunter

Pretty much every human civilization has been sexist somehow, but the forms of sexism have differed. The "cult of domesticity" is a fairly recent one, and not widely representative.
Cyborg Girl
Boy Genius

Re: Humans Are Not Ungulates

Postby squ1d » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:13 am

Since this comment was originally addressed to me, allow me to answer.

Your response about "Ungulates" was to this comment:

squ1d wrote:Because GJ, it is horror. Some people like horror, and a lot more people like survival horror. Some people find the feelings of fear that can be inspired by watching such a show exhilarating. Some people find the idea of a world where we return to survival and instinct to be an utterly compelling one. Despite all the brutality that entails. I know this idea is a personal bugbear of yours, but our base animal nature bubbles just beneath the surface.

The female characters in TWD are awesome. They are not all damsels in distress.

Now you have posted an opinion piece, one you presumably found by engaging in google based confirmation bias, that talks of "the myth of man the hunter". Which is not a relevant response to the opinions that I expressed above. I don't think you've made any attempt to understand what I said, or to actually watch The Walking Dead to understand what you're talking about.

"Our base animal nature", to use my direct words, refers to men and women, not just men. Our shared capacity to compromise our ethics and morality in order to survive. Our ability to do terrible and violent things in extreme situations. As I pointed out earlier, this is fundamentally based in reality, and an age old theme in literature and art. You might not like that, and further still, you might try and force your "I'm a hammer, all I see are nails" gender rhetoric on me, but it is beside the point.

If you read the next part of my post, you'll see I pointed out that female characters in TWD are awesome. Whenever the groups go out to scavenge, the women go too. This would be the direct comparison to hunting if we are going to relate things back to the article you posted. Women shoot guns and hack zombies apart, and one of them carries around a samurai sword and is a badass ninja. Women are not just stuck in the cave looking after children.

But I honestly don't think that any of this matters to you, as you're more concerned with finding targets for your outrage crusade. Which is why you're writing criticism about a show that you've never seen and clearly have no intention to, after buying wholesale the second-hand opinion of one-eyed internet trolls.
squ1d

Postby geonuc » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:24 pm

You may have missed the part where GJ acknowledged his intemperate remarks in that thread (an "angry ass").
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby SciFiFisher » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:47 pm

geonuc wrote:You may have missed the part where GJ acknowledged his intemperate remarks in that thread (an "angry ass").

Apologizing after the fact doesn't always make people feel better. :o
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby vendic » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:13 am

That's why God made ammunition. :P
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby squ1d » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:02 pm

geonuc wrote:You may have missed the part where GJ acknowledged his intemperate remarks in that thread (an "angry ass").

GJ's "acknowledgement" of intemperate remarks doesn't make him any less wrong about the subject. I'm not going to pretend that everything is fine with his not-so-subtle restarting of the conversation in Sci-Tech and Stuff, when the title of the post refers to a remark he made while telling me to fuck off. You can all buy this passive aggressive bullshit if you want, but I don't have to, I am happy to bite!
squ1d

Postby SciFi Chick » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:53 pm

Well, at least I gave you two the chance to have solidarity in Politics. ;)
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby squ1d » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:36 am

:lol:
squ1d

Return to Sci-Tech… and Stuff