Facebook

Facebook

Postby vendic » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:22 am

Wants me to provide ID to prove I am who I am.
My response: Screw you. I'm deleting my account.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Re: Facebook

Postby code monkey » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:11 am

but then how will you know who you are?
and still i persist in wondering whether folly must always be our nemesis. edgar pangborn

come gentle night. come loving black browed night
give me my romeo. and when he shall die
take him and cut him out in little stars
and he will make the face of heaven so fine
that all will be in love with night
and pay no worship to the garish sun. william shakespeare
code monkey

Postby vendic » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:18 am

I thought therefore I was.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby code monkey » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:39 am

yes, you were. you existed. (oh dear. past tense?) but who were/are you?

btw, none of that is to be taken as a defence of facebook or an argument for you to stay with them.
and still i persist in wondering whether folly must always be our nemesis. edgar pangborn

code monkey

Postby vendic » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:58 am

I thought you were paraphrasing Babylon 5
Who are you?
What do you want?

lol
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby geonuc » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:51 am

What do you mean when you say Facebook wants ID? Has your account been hacked?
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby vendic » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:05 pm

Nope.
Facebook has a policy for using real names.
They lost shares when it was found that there were a lot of people with fake names on it.
Because Facebook makes it's money profiling the people and then selling the data.
My name was flagged, "Fake"
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby geonuc » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:09 pm

It's obviously fake. Who would really have that name?
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Swift » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:54 pm

vendic wrote:Because Facebook makes it's money profiling the people and then selling the data.

As I told GJ about working through a temp agency: You're the product, not the customer.
Never, ever forget: we did this. This is what we can do.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world. - Henry David Thoreau

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby vendic » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:04 pm

geonuc wrote:It's obviously fake. Who would really have that name?

Because my real name is way better! lol
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby code monkey » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:51 am

vendic wrote:I thought you were paraphrasing Babylon 5
Who are you?
What do you want?

lol

sorry to disappoint but no. never watched that one.

code monkey

Postby SciFi Chick » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:43 am

geonuc wrote:It's obviously fake. Who would really have that name?

And yet it's taken them almost a decade to work that out, because this is not a new policy. It's a stupid policy however. As long as they have your real email address, why insist on your real name? Very aggravating. Some are trying to convince him to create a new account with another fake name. One person even volunteered not to tag him as her husband. ;)

I'm not being pushy about it. There are certain things that are fun about Facebook, and I've slowly been gravitating towards them. Fun videos about cats, for example. I've also joined a couple of groups discussing authors that I really like. I'm getting very sick of the political crap. But, vendic is quite ambivalent about Facebook, and though I will miss him, I respect his desire to leave it. This ID thing is just the excuse he was looking for.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby geonuc » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:28 pm

SFC, I know you know that I was just poking fun at his name, but I'd prefer he not leave FB. Yeah, it can be frustrating sometimes, and it exists to provide data for advertisers, and so on. But the benefits of social interaction with people strung out all over the world outweigh all that, in my opinion.

I like seeing swift's CVNP and vacation photos, Rommie's Amsterdam exploits, Yosh's trailer, pumpkin's excavation and trip photos, and all the rest. Fisher constantly displays amazing insights and keen wit. Same with Sigma. Fisher's significant other seems to have abandoned FWIS so FB is it in terms of keeping contact with her. Ikyoto - well he's just fucking nuts here and on FB.

Outside of FWISers, my good navy friend posts a ton of photos from his cross-county motorcycle trips, as well as finds a lot of great memes and funny stuff. By best friend from high school is on FB. My sisters are on FB. I recently friended one of my wife's nieces because she's a navy SeaBee! My geology buddy posts stuff about her kids and their awesome adventures at Yosemite. All my Yelp buddies are on FB. And so on. I don't even have a lot of FB friends and my feed is rich with content from them.

So, yeah. I like Facebook. Probably because I'm such an introvert. But so are a lot of us here.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby SciFi Chick » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:46 pm

I agree, and I hope your words will help sway him. My belief is that he will take a break, and then he will be back. He's incredibly overwhelmed right now, with trying to make the boat as comfortable as possible before we move, and no matter how well we think we've planned, nothing ever seems to go according to plan, so there is mucho stress. The more you stress him, the more introverted he gets. I will entice him back to Facebook once we're in Florida. :D
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Swift » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:33 pm

SciFi Chick wrote:He's incredibly overwhelmed right now, with trying to make the boat as comfortable as possible before we move, and no matter how well we think we've planned, nothing ever seems to go according to plan, so there is mucho stress. The more you stress him, the more introverted he gets. I will entice him back to Facebook once we're in Florida. :D

Completely off-topic for this thread, but this is FWIS, maybe when you can, you or Mr. SFC could explain some of the words in these sentences: words like "move" and "Florida"? Because other than passing hints, I think I missed a memo or 10. Maybe an explanation in the Back Room?

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Swift

Postby vendic » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:15 pm

The house is up for sale. It's impossible for the wife or myself to find work here other than minimum wage and that's just over $7 per hour here. Not enough to survive on.
The MIL has cancer and can't work. We were planning on moving to the boat before she was diagnosed and the cancer just overly complicated things and delayed them. Basically there is little option left that makes sense.
We can sell and move to another place in the US but we are planning on heading to Oz first available opportunity so getting another house makes no sense. Renting just delays the problem till later and adds a bunch of other things to do in a short time frame.
So my job is to make the boat as comfortable as I can and do it on a shoe string.
The complications with it are that the boat is a 300 mile return trip so chews up time and money each trip, but more importantly now leaves a cancer patient on her own for a minimum of a day. I can't have the car with me anymore than that so that complicates getting parts and when working on a boat, believe me, needing to go to get parts is a major part of the job and there is often no chance of knowing in advance what you'll need.
So yeah, it makes life difficult.
There's so many things I can complain about right now but I already come across as a whiner so let's not go there. :)
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby Swift » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:54 pm

You're not whining Z, you're just stating the facts. I knew pieces-parts, but not the complete picture. Thanks

Swift

Postby vendic » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:49 am

Apparently if you look at my posts (in private messages at least) it comes up with "this account is inactive till the user provides identification.
So any one that got messages from me, just so you know, facebook doesn't know who I am so you should be scared.
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby geonuc » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:16 am

Facebook told me your account was inactive for a couple of days. Now you're gone, mostly. I say mostly, because my friend count is one higher than what is shown on my list of friends.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby SciFiFisher » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:10 pm

Geez. At this rate we will have to communicate with you the old fashioned way and actually call you on the telephone. :shock:
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby geonuc » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:43 pm

SciFiFisher wrote:Geez. At this rate we will have to communicate with you the old fashioned way and actually call you on the telephone. :shock:

Call on the telephone? I don't understand.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby SciFiFisher » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:00 pm

geonuc wrote:
SciFiFisher wrote:Geez. At this rate we will have to communicate with you the old fashioned way and actually call you on the telephone. :shock:

If you ever had a "party line" for telephone service you might. If not you never will :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby geonuc » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:05 pm

SciFiFisher wrote:
geonuc wrote:

If you ever had a "party line" for telephone service you might. If not you never will :P

We had an Army hand-crank phone when we were living in Tehran. Does that count?
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby vendic » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:43 am

Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby SciFiFisher » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:19 pm

geonuc wrote:
SciFiFisher wrote:
geonuc wrote:

We had an Army hand-crank phone when we were living in Tehran. Does that count?

Technically, yes it does. :mrgreen: The fun part about an open telephone loop is that anyone can listen to your calls. And where I grew up they often did. :lol:
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Next

Return to Sci-Tech… and Stuff