Antarctica issues

Antarctica issues

Postby vendic » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:28 pm

Pretty much everyone knows now that Larsen C is about to break any day now.
If you haven't heard, in December the crack traveled 18 km and there was only about 20 left at the time of the original 130 or so miles it had. I've read recently that it is currently at 12 km. IOW, expect it any day now.
https://www.sciencenews.org/blog/scienc ... king-point

What you might not have known about is the even more disturbing Totten glacier is melting fast. It's a big glacier that if fully melted will increase sea level by about 10 feet.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... nvstigator

That melting has now been confirmed by many countries and different methods of analysis which all correlate.

If that's not enough, while the Totten glacier is tha largest in East Antarctica, we also have Pine island glacier, the largest glacier in the Western Antarctic following a similar fate: https://phys.org/news/2016-11-reveals-w ... acier.html

I say it's Trumps fault. The Earth has just said, "WTF Humans, you've now gone too far!"
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Re: Antarctica issues

Postby Tarragon » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:46 am

But couldn't we solve it by following Trump's lead? If we just cover the pole with a coif of gold-coated, reflective mylar, we'd deflect any attempt to shed light on what's happening. Then what's beneath can stay cold-hearted, resisting human warmth, no matter how cracked it really is.
Tarragon

Postby Thumper » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:53 pm

Tarragon wrote:But couldn't we solve it by following Trump's lead? If we just cover the pole with a coif of gold-coated, reflective mylar, we'd deflect any attempt to shed light on what's happening. Then what's beneath can stay cold-hearted, resisting human warmth, no matter how cracked it really is.

You're not Michael Keaton, you're Andy Borowitz!
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby vendic » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:04 pm

Tarragon wrote:But couldn't we solve it by following Trump's lead? If we just cover the pole with a coif of gold-coated, reflective mylar, we'd deflect any attempt to shed light on what's happening. Then what's beneath can stay cold-hearted, resisting human warmth, no matter how cracked it really is.

lol
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Postby Tarragon » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:39 am

Thumper wrote:

You're not Michael Keaton, you're Andy Borowitz!

Great praise either way. :)
Tarragon

Postby Thumper » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:32 pm

I'm glad you haven't taken offense at my attempts at humor.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Tarragon » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:41 pm

Thumper wrote:I'm glad you haven't taken offense at my attempts at humor.

Maybe I missed something. But I think their both funny.
Tarragon

Postby vendic » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:12 pm

http://www.popularmechanics.com/militar ... n-one-map/

We really are retarded as a species.

The militaries of the world tend to stay clear of that part (Arctic) of the world for two reasons: It's hard to defend and there's generally nothing worth fighting over. Unfortunately climate change is changing that, and Russia is taking the lead in fortifying its share of the region.

What are they after you might think?
OIL.

The very thing that is causing global warming. As the Arctic melts because of our reliance on oil, they think, oh, now that the Arctic is melting, we can get MORE oil!!!
Thanks for all the fish.
vendic
PIA

Return to Sci-Tech… and Stuff