12 Angry Jurors

Movies, music, film strips, anime... whatever... share it!

12 Angry Jurors

Postby Thumper » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:55 pm

It was The Kid's high school's version of the classic 12 Angry Men. The students did a fantastic job with the modified (mixed gender) drama. The Henry Fonda role was played by a fantastic female lead who when she becomes a famous performer, I'll be proud to say I knew her way back when. I already told her Mom that after last year's musical. We ended up watching the original over the weekend and had lots of fun trying to figure out which person was which. The level headed E G Marshall character was also played by a strong female lead.

Enjoyed the play and then really enjoyed the movie. No explosions, no special effects, no CGI. Almost entirely shot in one or two rooms with minimal soundtrack. It relies entirely on good writing and acting.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Re: 12 Angry Jurors

Postby SciFi Chick » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:22 pm

Thumper wrote:It relies entirely on good writing and acting.

What a concept!
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby SciFiFisher » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:06 pm

From a style POV it reminds me of a play I saw years ago called "Our Town".

Our Town is a 1938 metatheatrical three-act play by American playwright Thornton Wilder. It tells the story of the fictional American small town of Grover's Corners between 1901 and 1913 through the everyday lives of its citizens.

Throughout, Wilder uses metatheatrical devices, setting the play in the actual theatre where it is being performed. The main character is the stage manager of the theatre who directly addresses the audience, brings in guest lecturers, fields questions from the audience, and fills in playing some of the roles. The play is performed without a set on a mostly bare stage. With a few exceptions, the actors mime actions without the use of props.

Our Town was first performed at McCarter Theatre in Princeton, New Jersey in 1938.[1] It later went on to success on Broadway and won the Pulitzer Prize for Drama. It remains popular today and revivals are frequent.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby Thumper » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:17 pm

Back in the day, our high school was considering putting that play on. I was confused at the time because I WAS the stage manager. And I couldn't figure out why I would be IN the play. :P
I don't think I've ever seen it all the way through but think I saw part of a televised version of it at some point. I would love to go to a theatre and see it.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Return to Lights, Camera, Comments