Apollo 11

Movies, music, film strips, anime... whatever... share it!

Apollo 11

Postby geonuc » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:06 pm

A must-see documentary as the 50th anniversary nears. This film is all about the Apollo 11 mission, moving chronologically from when the Saturn V was moved to the launch pad to end-of-mission. It doesn't engage in documenting the backstory of the astronauts, which is refreshing as too many documentaries go overboard with that sort of thing.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Re: Apollo 11

Postby Thumper » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:14 pm

Is this it?
Did you see it in a theater?
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby pumpkinpi » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:44 pm

I've got a day off today (random floating holiday....the university always gives full time staff the Friday of spring break off, which doesn't actually correspond to an actual holiday. not complaining.)
So I thought of going to that.....but for me, it's actually work related. I'm immersed in Apollo right now, writing a planetarium show about it. So on my day off I'd rather not think of it. (not complaining.)

I've heard it's great and some of us are going to try and convince our supervisor to let us go on a field trip to see it during work hours!
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby geonuc » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:45 pm

Thumper wrote:Is this it?
Did you see it in a theater?

Yes, that's the one. I saw it in a standard theater. Apparently it had limited screenings in IMAX earlier.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby geonuc » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:49 pm

pumpkinpi wrote:I've got a day off today (random floating holiday....the university always gives full time staff the Friday of spring break off, which doesn't actually correspond to an actual holiday. not complaining.)
So I thought of going to that.....but for me, it's actually work related. I'm immersed in Apollo right now, writing a planetarium show about it. So on my day off I'd rather not think of it. (not complaining.)

I've heard it's great and some of us are going to try and convince our supervisor to let us go on a field trip to see it during work hours!

Because the film focuses so specifically on the mission as opposed to peripheral events and backstories, I'd say it would qualify as research material, for sure. There's a lot of NASA footage that hasn't been widely seen before, I understand.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:44 pm

Thanks for the heads up. It's on the list.
Pumpkinpi, I completely understand. And I agree with Geonuc: go see it on work time.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby Rommie » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:42 pm

Finally watched this last Friday- we have a cheap movie theater just a block away from us, and they started showings for it! Perfect!

We both really enjoyed it. As the bf said, if you went in wanting a documentary that explains the facts of the moon landing to you, you'd be disappointed, but we of course already know all that so this was awesome. And it's funny but I was surprised at how so much of my favorite things in the documentary were just random shots of random people and the like, using old technology that doesn't exist anymore or crowds peering at the moon landing or the mission control guy saying to the other "so, did you hear about that Kennedy business in Chappaquidick?" I guess after 50 years the mundane becomes fascinating.
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby Thumper » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:02 pm

D@mn, I still want to see it. Looks like I'm relegated to Netflix or Redbox when it becomes available.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Return to Lights, Camera, Comments