Game of Thrones

Movies, music, film strips, anime... whatever... share it!

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby geonuc » Tue May 14, 2019 10:51 pm

I haven't been real happy with Jon Snow, and my displeasure peaked when he left Winterfell without saying goodbye to Ghost. Who doesn't drop down to their knee and hug their pet dog (wolf) knowing they'll not see each other again?

I hope the writers give Brienne a better ending than that tearful crap we saw when Jamie left.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby geonuc » Mon May 20, 2019 2:52 pm

If you thought the series rushed before, the ending seemed like the writers had a plane to catch and left it for the interns to finish.

At least Jon Snow's diss of Ghost was remedied.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Thumper » Mon May 20, 2019 3:09 pm

I've been listening to commentary about the last show. Looks like it's 80%-20% that the last episode sucked. There's even online or phone counseling that you can get ahold of if you were troubled by the episode. (I'm not making this up.)
Last edited by Thumper on Mon May 20, 2019 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Look for the Helpers. You will always find people who are helping.
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby geonuc » Mon May 20, 2019 3:18 pm

About the only satisfying thing was the dragon's parting act before he flew off to parts unknown. As far as acting and sympathetic characters goes, after Tyrion (Peter Dinklage), Drogon the dragon gets my vote.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby Rommie » Mon May 20, 2019 4:57 pm

I WAS TOTALLY RIGHT, ALL HAIL QUEEN SANSA!!! (Ok, one seventh right.)

We had a bit of a marathon last night of the final two episodes as the bf was away last week, so I saved watching it for him. Actually worked pretty well that way. Also as a more casual viewer, I think there was basically no chance people wouldn't be upset about the ending- there was just too much emotional investment. I do agree they should have just done two proper seasons though- I think a lot of people felt shocked that Dany ended up being so evil, but all the elements were there (as I see y'all discussed last week), just the connection wasn't drawn well enough for most to follow. Probably sucks for all those people who named their daughters "Khalessi" though.

Also I think my biggest issue with the writing was they should have done it in reverse order- take care of Cersei, then go fight the dead. Because if you're fighting the dead mid-season what are you expecting to happen, have the good guys lose?

Finally, where the fuck was John walking off to with the army of Freefolk children at the end, does anyone know?
Yes, I have a life. It's quite different from yours.
Rommie

Postby pumpkinpi » Mon May 20, 2019 6:54 pm

Drogon was the only one who knew what was wrong with Westeros. "You killed my mother over this throne, now no one gets to sit on it!" I'm sure I was not the only one whimpering "no, no, no" when Drogon was aiming that fire at Jon.

What I thought was lacking was how little confrontation there was for both Cersei's and Daneyers' deaths. (Damnit, I am not going to look up how to spell those names again.) I would love to have seen the two queens battle head to head.

One plot hole that bugs me: why did everyone just assume that Cersei died? In theory she could have gotten away in time. But it wasn't until Tyrion found her and Jamie that there was any confirmation. That was annoying too---Tyrion knew right where to go.

But overall I was satisfied with the way it ended. And surprised that it was more complex than one person winning the throne.

All the people who are complaining or downright pissed about the ending, the poor writing, the lack of following through on character development.....I'm not saying they are wrong. I completely see their points. But I'm just not choosing to let it pain me so! I grew up reading Stephen King, who is notorious for not knowing how to end a story. It's taught me to give more appreciation to a series as a whole, and not focus on any disappointments in the last episode.

I assumed Jon decided to join the Freefolk instead of staying with the Nightswatch. But I really don't know if that was the idea. To bring up King again, as Jon was riding north, I was picturing an ending like The Dark Tower--encountering another White Walker. Ka is a wheel, we end where we began.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby geonuc » Mon May 20, 2019 9:24 pm

I didn't actually see any evidence of the Night's Watch. Castle Black seemed occupied solely by Tormund and his wildlings. And I have no idea where they were going, other than north.

Why would there be a Night's Watch anymore? Not only have the horses already left the barn, they broke the barn door down on the way out.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby pumpkinpi » Mon May 20, 2019 9:57 pm

geonuc wrote:I didn't actually see any evidence of the Night's Watch. Castle Black seemed occupied solely by Tormund and his wildlings. And I have no idea where they were going, other than north.

Why would there be a Night's Watch anymore? Not only have the horses already left the barn, they broke the barn door down on the way out.

Oh, good point. "The Wall" doesn't equate with the Night's Watch anymore. I didn't think of that.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Postby SciFiFisher » Wed May 22, 2019 1:28 am

With no need for the Nights Watch Jon was free to join the wildlings and become a free man. He finally got to do what he wanted to do.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby geonuc » Wed May 22, 2019 7:34 pm

SciFiFisher wrote:With no need for the Nights Watch Jon was free to join the wildlings and become a free man. He finally got to do what he wanted to do.

Yes, but in the show, the new king essentially sentenced him to return to service in the Night's Watch, which Tyrion specifically stated still existed. Those are the parts that perplex me: 1. Who needs a Night's Watch anymore and 2. It actually doesn't seem to be an operational unit, despite what Tyrion said.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby SciFiFisher » Thu May 23, 2019 4:21 pm

geonuc wrote:
SciFiFisher wrote:With no need for the Nights Watch Jon was free to join the wildlings and become a free man. He finally got to do what he wanted to do.

Yes, but in the show, the new king essentially sentenced him to return to service in the Night's Watch, which Tyrion specifically stated still existed. Those are the parts that perplex me: 1. Who needs a Night's Watch anymore and 2. It actually doesn't seem to be an operational unit, despite what Tyrion said.

It probably is one of those inconsistencies that seem to crop up when shows are trying wrap it all up in a fraction of the time they really need. :P
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby pumpkinpi » Fri May 24, 2019 1:52 pm

SciFiFisher wrote:
geonuc wrote:

It probably is one of those inconsistencies that seem to crop up when shows are trying wrap it all up in a fraction of the time they really need. :P

Who needs sensible resolution? We have epic battles!
pumpkinpi

Postby Thumper » Fri May 24, 2019 1:58 pm

This is why I like documentaries. No stupid unbelievable endings. :P
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Postby pumpkinpi » Fri May 24, 2019 4:57 pm

Thumper wrote:This is why I like documentaries. No stupid unbelievable endings. :P

"A Beautiful Mind" comes to mind.....
pumpkinpi

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri May 24, 2019 11:15 pm

geonuc wrote:I haven't been real happy with Jon Snow, and my displeasure peaked when he left Winterfell without saying goodbye to Ghost. Who doesn't drop down to their knee and hug their pet dog (wolf) knowing they'll not see each other again?

I hope the writers give Brienne a better ending than that tearful crap we saw when Jamie left.

She becomes the head of the Kings Guard. I rather appreciated the scene where she writes Jaime's memorium in the book.
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby squ1d » Mon May 27, 2019 10:50 am

Season 8 was utter shite.

What a terrible end to a good series.
squ1d

Postby Thumper » Thu May 30, 2019 11:41 am

squ1d wrote:Season 8 was utter shite.

What a terrible end to a good series.
Man you kill joy. I bet you said the same thing about Lost. :P

(Or Mash...) :twisted:
-Mr. Rogers' Mom
Thumper
Ichi-Ban Tomodachi

Previous

Return to Lights, Camera, Comments