Manifest

Movies, music, film strips, anime... whatever... share it!

Manifest

Postby SciFi Chick » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:08 am

This concept has been done before, but the way they're currently doing it is really believable, in terms of how people would behave if their loved ones, believed dead, came back after 5 years. The first two episodes are magnificent, and I give it my highest recommendation. If it gets stupid, I'll stop, but at the moment, I love it.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Re: Manifest

Postby pumpkinpi » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:18 am

I watched the first episode and really enjoyed it. I'm glad to hear it gets your support! I think NBC streams it free so I'll have to catch up.
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Location: 100 meters closer to the north pole than the equator

Postby SciFi Chick » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:21 pm

pumpkinpi wrote:I watched the first episode and really enjoyed it. I'm glad to hear it gets your support! I think NBC streams it free so I'll have to catch up.

I watch it on Hulu. Don't know if you have that service. I have no TV, and you can't stream from any of the major networks unless you have Cable, which I find strange.
"Do not speak badly of yourself, for the warrior that is inside you hears your words and is lessened by them." -David Gemmel
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby SciFiFisher » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:08 pm

SciFi Chick wrote:
pumpkinpi wrote:I watched the first episode and really enjoyed it. I'm glad to hear it gets your support! I think NBC streams it free so I'll have to catch up.

I watch it on Hulu. Don't know if you have that service. I have no TV, and you can't stream from any of the major networks unless you have Cable, which I find strange.

contractual obligations. ;)
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby geonuc » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:14 pm

Cool. Another show to check out.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby pumpkinpi » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:11 pm

SciFiFisher wrote:
SciFi Chick wrote:

I have Sling that we stream through a Roku. But I don't use it much. It's mostly for MrPi and Buster to watch sports. We used to pay $150/month for directTV, but we cut that two years ago. Now we just pay $15/month for a la carte TV and it has enough sports to satisfy them. I haven't explored how you might access past episodes from the major networks on it.

So I just watch NBC on a good old new HD antenna. But I know that, for example, on NBC's website they show last week's This is Us the day after this week's episode airs. So I can keep up one week and one day behind. (I've only watched the 1st episode of that yet--I know you have some issues with the direction it's going SFC, and I'm skeptical myself.)

That is all to say it might apply for Manifest too, so I can catch up when I have time!

OH! But I just remembered. I did start using Sling for live tv because it has BBC America, and thus Doctor Who. I watched the first two episodes of the new season, but I missed this week's. So I'll have to see if I can access that.
"Standing at the forefront of human ignorance." Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe
pumpkinpi

Postby geonuc » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:28 pm

First episode was quite good.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby SciFi Chick » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:16 pm

pumpkinpi wrote:
SciFiFisher wrote:
SciFi Chick wrote:

I have Sling that we stream through a Roku. But I don't use it much. It's mostly for MrPi and Buster to watch sports. We used to pay $150/month for directTV, but we cut that two years ago. Now we just pay $15/month for a la carte TV and it has enough sports to satisfy them. I haven't explored how you might access past episodes from the major networks on it.

So I just watch NBC on a good old new HD antenna. But I know that, for example, on NBC's website they show last week's This is Us the day after this week's episode airs. So I can keep up one week and one day behind. (I've only watched the 1st episode of that yet--I know you have some issues with the direction it's going SFC, and I'm skeptical myself.)

That is all to say it might apply for Manifest too, so I can catch up when I have time!

OH! But I just remembered. I did start using Sling for live tv because it has BBC America, and thus Doctor Who. I watched the first two episodes of the new season, but I missed this week's. So I'll have to see if I can access that.

I'm over my issues with "This Is Us." It's one of the few postmodern pieces of work that I appreciate. Yes, they piss me off sometimes. Then they turn right around and touch my heart or break it or give me a different perspective. And all without politics. It's another show that I highly recommend.
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby Loresinger » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:13 pm

tell me more about al la carte tv. We dropped cable but it's stil 150 for our land line and network (we spent a little extra on speed)
Dance in your kitchen; play with your food
Loresinger
Mistress of the Ink

Postby pumpkinpi » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:48 pm

Loresinger wrote:tell me more about al la carte tv. We dropped cable but it's stil 150 for our land line and network (we spent a little extra on speed)

I was a little wrong, it's at least $25/month. We have one of the plans here. I'm guessing either orange or blue, with the $5 sports extra.
https://www.sling.com/#dyn-grid-plan-tab-3-y-1

We also pay $100 for network and land line. So it's good to have what we're paying for the network actually being used to subsidize some of the cable/satellite we used to pay for.

We bought the Roku device to stream it; it looks like there is now a deal to get one free if you sign up.
pumpkinpi

Postby SciFi Chick » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:20 pm

There's also Philo, which has a free trial, and fuboTV, which is close enough the word fubar, I have to wonder about the company.

I haven't tried any of these yet and am not recommending them, just sharing what popped up when I did a search.
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:33 pm

Our challenge with "cutting the cord" is that we need "the cord" to access all the streaming options. And for a decent high-speed internet connection that means Comcast. Which is about $100. Then I discovered that we would need about 3 different streaming services to get all the different shows that we like to watch. And if I wanted a home telephone that was another $45. So... I could spend about $200 or I could spend about $200. :lol:

As it is we have a variety of options thanks to Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Comcast. And I think my favorite political junkie (Brite) also subscribes to BritBox which is a service that lets you watch all the good British police procedurals.
"To create more positive results in your life, replace 'if only' with 'next time'." — Author Unknown
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward." — Vernon Law
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby pumpkinpi » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:39 pm

SciFiFisher wrote:Our challenge with "cutting the cord" is that we need "the cord" to access all the streaming options. And for a decent high-speed internet connection that means Comcast. Which is about $100. Then I discovered that we would need about 3 different streaming services to get all the different shows that we like to watch. And if I wanted a home telephone that was another $45. So... I could spend about $200 or I could spend about $200. :lol:

As it is we have a variety of options thanks to Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Comcast. And I think my favorite political junkie (Brite) also subscribes to BritBox which is a service that lets you watch all the good British police procedurals.

Maybe we're talking about different cords, or maybe I have a different option here. The cord we get now has only land line and internet through CenturyLink, and that does not require any tv service. We previously had directTV on a completely separate plan, which is what we cut.

But also, we got that CenturyLink plan 10 years ago, so I don't know what we would be forced to bundle if we signed up today.
pumpkinpi

Postby geonuc » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:56 pm

My 'cord' consists of internet only. No land line and no cable TV subscription. I get streaming services through Amazon Prime, Netflix and Hulu. The Amazon Prime doohickey (which is plugged into one of the TV's HDMI ports) is connected to the internet modem by ethernet cable rather than through wifi and handles the chore of being home base. I connect to Netflix and Hulu via the Amazon home screen.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:50 pm

pumpkinpi wrote:
SciFiFisher wrote:Our challenge with "cutting the cord" is that we need "the cord" to access all the streaming options. And for a decent high-speed internet connection that means Comcast. Which is about $100. Then I discovered that we would need about 3 different streaming services to get all the different shows that we like to watch. And if I wanted a home telephone that was another $45. So... I could spend about $200 or I could spend about $200. :lol:

Maybe we're talking about different cords, or maybe I have a different option here. The cord we get now has only land line and internet through CenturyLink, and that does not require any tv service. We previously had directTV on a completely separate plan, which is what we cut.

But also, we got that CenturyLink plan 10 years ago, so I don't know what we would be forced to bundle if we signed up today.

I can get a landline and internet only "cord". But... we like BBC and MSNBC. If we could find a streaming service that let us have both of those I might kick Cable TV to the curb. There is also the issue of recording shows to watch later. Which would be less of a problem with some of the streaming options such as Netflix or Amazon.

What it boils down to is that we have just a couple of extras we get with a bundled package that includes internet, landline, regular tv, HD tv, security system, and premium channels that we are willing to pay the extra $50 to $100 for. For example, I don't need to run an extra antenna for local channels if I want to watch those. And I can watch programs that air regularly via on-demand using my Cable TV box.

If our economics were a bit more desperate then I would probably bite the bullet and pare down the bundle. But, with all the features and little extras we are getting I occasionally think it is worth the bundle. Just not on the days when the bill comes. :lol:
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby SciFiFisher » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:51 pm

geonuc wrote:My 'cord' consists of internet only. No land line and no cable TV subscription. I get streaming services through Amazon Prime, Netflix and Hulu. The Amazon Prime doohickey (which is plugged into one of the TV's HDMI ports) is connected to the internet modem by ethernet cable rather than through wifi and handles the chore of being home base. I connect to Netflix and Hulu via the Amazon home screen.

They have "smart TV's" that can stream Amazon, Netflix and etc also if you want to kick the Amazon doo-hickey to the curb. ;)
SciFiFisher
Redneck Geek

Postby geonuc » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:11 am

SciFiFisher wrote:
geonuc wrote:My 'cord' consists of internet only. No land line and no cable TV subscription. I get streaming services through Amazon Prime, Netflix and Hulu. The Amazon Prime doohickey (which is plugged into one of the TV's HDMI ports) is connected to the internet modem by ethernet cable rather than through wifi and handles the chore of being home base. I connect to Netflix and Hulu via the Amazon home screen.

They have "smart TV's" that can stream Amazon, Netflix and etc also if you want to kick the Amazon doo-hickey to the curb. ;)

The doohickey works fine. Maybe when I need to buy a new TV.
geonuc
Resident Rock Hound

Postby SciFi Chick » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:23 am

SciFiFisher wrote:
pumpkinpi wrote:

I can get a landline and internet only "cord". But... we like BBC and MSNBC. If we could find a streaming service that let us have both of those I might kick Cable TV to the curb. There is also the issue of recording shows to watch later. Which would be less of a problem with some of the streaming options such as Netflix or Amazon.

What it boils down to is that we have just a couple of extras we get with a bundled package that includes internet, landline, regular tv, HD tv, security system, and premium channels that we are willing to pay the extra $50 to $100 for. For example, I don't need to run an extra antenna for local channels if I want to watch those. And I can watch programs that air regularly via on-demand using my Cable TV box.

If our economics were a bit more desperate then I would probably bite the bullet and pare down the bundle. But, with all the features and little extras we are getting I occasionally think it is worth the bundle. Just not on the days when the bill comes. :lol:

My fantasy is that once we're back in the house, we can afford TV because we've been chosen to be a Nielsen family. :D
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Postby pumpkinpi » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:02 am

SciFi Chick wrote:
SciFiFisher wrote:
pumpkinpi wrote:

My fantasy is that once we're back in the house, we can afford TV because we've been chosen to be a Nielsen family. :D

My grandparents were! This was in the 80's or early 90's. We got to sign in a guests when we picked the shows we watched on their tv. I thought it was so cool.
pumpkinpi

Postby SciFi Chick » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:41 am

pumpkinpi wrote:My fantasy is that once we're back in the house, we can afford TV because we've been chosen to be a Nielsen family. :D

My grandparents were! This was in the 80's or early 90's. We got to sign in a guests when we picked the shows we watched on their tv. I thought it was so cool.[/quote]

That IS cool. I've always wanted to be one. It makes me feel powerful. LOL.
SciFi Chick
Information Goddess

Return to Lights, Camera, Comments